which one?! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

which one?!

I can't decide on a small animal!! I think they are all cute but then once I start to research it seems like there is always something that puts me off. All I want is something relatively long lived (which excludes mice, rats, gerbils), not very messy/doesn't need cleaned out all the time (excludes rabbits & guinea pigs), and something that would like to interact/play & be affectionate (excludes chins & degus). Am I just being too picky???
Thanks for listening to me obsess, lol.
~Jenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 07:26 PM

Red face

Well you havent got much choice left..
I have degus and bunnies and find them all affectionate, cuddly and great to have..
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 10:00 PM

There are always cons to having a certain pet. You can't have it all and there is a small price to pay for the unconditional love that an animal gives you. I have hamsters, gerbils and mice and find them all wonderful. I know it's such a shame that they have such shorts lives, but they give me so much happiness in that little time that they spent with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 12:17 AM

Some chinchillas may not be affectionate, but I myself have chinchillas that will cuddle with me while they're being held. I've had several chinnies give me kisses on my mouth. Chinchillas definitely love their play time and will hop all around you and may even jump on you in the process!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 10:14 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Theres not really much choice left for you if thats the case I think your being a little picky as your missing out on some fantastic animals i mean rats might be short lived but they are wonderful pets and very intelligent and love lots of kissies and cuddles and guinea pigs might need cleaning out more but they love nothing more than a good cuddle

My degus are all definately affectionate they love nothing more for you to get them out and give them a good scratch behind the ear and under the armpit and love to have lots of attention and love to come out and run around you and all over you plus they are fun to have around!

Any pet has its pros and con and Padfoot has said it exactly right them having a short life is a small price to pay for all the unconditional love that they give to you

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

You guys are absolutely right. I need to stop worrying and being so picky and just go for it. I really am a big-time animal lover and I've waited so long to be able to get more. What is wrong with me, lol??!
I appreciate the encouragement, and I know a lot of other people wouldn't have been so kind and understanding.
~Jenn
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 07:20 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennLin22
You guys are absolutely right. I need to stop worrying and being so picky and just go for it. I really am a big-time animal lover and I've waited so long to be able to get more. What is wrong with me, lol??!
I appreciate the encouragement, and I know a lot of other people wouldn't have been so kind and understanding.
~Jenn
There are pros and cons for any pet, just take your time to find the right one for you!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 07:25 PM

I VOTE FOR DEGUS!!!!!!!!!!!(but i am biased).
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 07:26 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffball
I VOTE FOR DEGUS!!!!!!!!!!!(but i am biased).
All degu owners are!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 07:28 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennLin22
~Jenn
Its right to ask questions as thats how we all learn, you should make yourself a check list of the things you are looking for in a pet so you get the right one for you. There are pros and cons to every pet but when you pick the right one you will know its the one you've been looking for

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 07:29 PM
I Dream of Godzilla

Ive taken care of of guinea pigs and hamsters, and yes as stated earlier them having a short life span may be their weak point but believe me, the joy they bring, wow.

Personally, when i thinkabout what pet i would want to have:
1. Do i like trying to have this certain pet regardless of how long/short its lifespan is?

2. Would i enjoy giving this certain all its need + LOVE?

3. Am i capable of taking EXTRA GOOD CARE of one?

4. and the List goes on..

I never included the how long the lifespan question because if this play a significant role in one's pet choosing, the would be pet owner would miss out maybe the best animal for him/her. just a thought though

A proud "DAD" to:

A very sweet/loving and affectionate female iguana named LIZ

4 unnamed 12 yrs old turtles...

A Sweet Bassett hound - Labrador mix puppy named Ringo

Lizard owners are SWEET LOVERS...
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yeah we had gerbils, rats, and mice when I was younger and they were all alot of fun. Maybe now that I'm older it wouldn't be so hard on me when they pass away so soon...

I actually have been leaning more towards degus cause everyone says how much fun they are. Right now I'm trying to find some near me, lol. I've seen some at a few pet stores but I'm trying to be good and buy from a breeder. That way I will know they have been fed well all their life and I'm thinking they would be friendlier, too.

Thanks guys, you are the best!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 07:43 PM
I Dream of Godzilla

Actually, if Degus are available here, I would DEFINITELY get one.

Relax, Lighten up, Choosing a new pet should be fun and oh, enjoy your privilage (Degus being available) if you think you really want one

A proud "DAD" to:

A very sweet/loving and affectionate female iguana named LIZ

4 unnamed 12 yrs old turtles...

A Sweet Bassett hound - Labrador mix puppy named Ringo

Lizard owners are SWEET LOVERS...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 08:28 PM

yay!!!!!!!! DEGU DEGU DEGU DEGU

Tags
animal lover, guinea pig, pet owner, pet store, pet stores, wonderful pets