Pasta & Choking - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Pasta & Choking

I've just this month started to include the tri-colored pasta into my rats diet and I've had 1 rat die from choking and two others started to chok but got whatever was in there out of their throat. I've only just added that pasta so I've taken that out but I'm worried now. I put one of the dry pastas in my mouth and it started to turn slimy, sicky, and foamy. When I spat it out I noticed the foam was the same color as what my rats "puked" out. Has anyone else had this problem? I don't want to give them pasta anymore.

My Kids:6
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 11:24 PM
laugh often

I give my rats pasta now but they don't do that how long has it been since you gave it to them?

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I just took the pasta out today, i've been feeding it to them for about 2 weeks. I had a rat die monday :'(, and My nazy choked last night and this morning my mother rat choked as well. Nazy had green foam like the green pasta as did the momma.

, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 11:56 PM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

I'm sorry ....RIP
Thanks for the heads up.
I don't feed mine the tri colored,
I feed a lot of stuff from the suebees rat diet with alterations.
I hope the rest of your ratties are ok..

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I don't want to turn you off pasta if you like, I just wanted to see if anyone else was having issues. Then again if my babes are choking then it can also be a warning to other rodent owners.

, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 12:03 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Wow, that's weird and I'm very sorry for your loss . I've never had any problems but then again I tend to break the pasta into really small pieces since the mix was for hamsters.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 12:05 AM

Nono,I didn't mean it that way.
I appreciate the warning more than you could ever know.
It was kind & considerate for you to do so.
I'm really sorry you lost a ratty though.Really really sorry.
Pet deaths are awful.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thank you so much, I'm starting to feel better about her death. Maybe I should break up the pasta? I'm just so worried that they will still chok :'(.

, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 12:14 AM
laugh often

you can break up the [asta but since you spit it out and it was foamy I would just give them regular pasta

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Maybe.... well see, I hope it was that pasta and not something else I missed.

, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uMgaziRatRescue
Maybe.... well see, I hope it was that pasta and not something else I missed.
My fingers are crossed that it was the problem.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 12:30 AM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

I do not feed mine tri colored pasta b/c it is artificially colored in the first place (not as healthy) and I get the whole grain or other brown pastas that has better things in it. I would have gotten some for a treat but now, nope never will use tri colored!!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 01:09 PM
Will It Ever Change?

you could always try a different brand of pasta?

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 04:19 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeishaGirl
I do not feed mine tri colored pasta b/c it is artificially colored in the first place (not as healthy) and I get the whole grain or other brown pastas that has better things in it. I would have gotten some for a treat but now, nope never will use tri colored!!
I'm pretty sure most aren't artificially colored...they are made with vegetables.

Then again, we get pasta from the health food store . Hehe.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I hope knowone thinks I'm wierd for "trying" the pasta lol, I'm thinking about trying a different brand... well see though. I'm all paranoid now.

, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Tags
health food store