Pet capybaras?! - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 01:08 AM
Playful Pup

Wow! I've always dreamed of owning a Capybara!
I'd never actually get one, though- They just seem like they would be very hard to care for, as it would be hard to find information on what they need to live a healthy life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Newborn Pup

Has anyone in the Las Vegas area got one as a pet? I would love to meet it!
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Newborn Pup

Legality of keeping a Capy as a pet varies from State to state. I believe it is illegal in California without a special permit. Texas it's ok. They could be expensive to feed, the grass they like best is Timothy Grass. They are herbivores so they spend a lot of time eating! They need somewhere to swim. They love mud! They can be housetrained, they like to pooh in water! Melanie (the lady in Tx) keeps a couple of bowls of water in the bathroom for Gari. They are very affectionate but can be territorial and they have huge powerful teeth. If you go to her site Gianthamster.com and read all the info you'll pretty much learn everything you might want to know before deciding on whether you can take on the responsibility of keeping a capybara happy. I am not sure the average vet would be ideal for a Capy. Melanie takes Gari to Texas A&M Univ. animal hospital and even there they are learning from her pets. It is not a responsibility to take lightly and I would hate the world to become full of unwanted pet capybaras just because people were seduced by their incredibly cuteness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
capybara