Pet capybaras?! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Pet capybaras?!

Hi everyone! Normally I'm over on the rat boards, but today I just came across this site about a Texas woman's pet capybara, and I couldn't believe it!

http://gianthamster.com/about/

I was wondering if anyone knows about how they are as pets? Is it legal to have capybaras as pets in the whole US? (Or in certain states only?) What is a typical diet, shelter, etc. that people use for them? Also, how do you find a vet that is qualified to treat them?!!

I absolutely love capybaras and I would definitely consider getting one sometime if I knew I could do so legally, as well as financially!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Part of the Pack

Actually, I did meet this woman and her capybara at a PetSmart in Austin, Tx. It was about a month ago and she was feeding him blueberries as they walked up to the store.

It's a busy shopping center and it probably took her a good 30 mins just to get up to the storefront since so many people were stopping to ask questions. She hands outs business cards with it's info and was a pleasure to speak with.

As for the Capybara, not very snuggly.. it's hair is very stiff. That's about all I know. Should I see her again I'll be sure to ask her some questions for ya!

post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 01:08 PM
RAT ADDICT

I don't know much about them actually...which is sad,since I did a project on them when I was in school...I forgot pretty much everything I learned.

I personally do not see them as a pet,but I am hearing more often now in other forums and such of people having them as pets.I do believe you would need a lot of room for them.And I think they would be considered exotics,so you would have to check your state laws to see if they are legal where you are.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 02:27 PM
I am allergic to maths

I would imagine that they are legal you would have to apply for a special permit. They would be alot of work and definatley not suitable in a house with children. I spent ages on the website, looking at the pictures mostly I think it would make an intresting pet, but not something you would commit to while you are still young
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Playful Pup

That is quite shocking to see, a capybara on a leash ... i don't know if i like it or not. To me thats a totally wild animal and when you watch wild animal documentaries you tend to see them in it, but then when you think about it everything we've domesticated so far used to be wild in the first place.
Hmmm it would be interesting to have one though, perhaps its a new thing lol.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks everyone for the responses. Like I said, I had absolutely no clue that people even were ALLOWED to have these as pets, particularly because they live in South American jungles! I think finding a vet would be really difficult, and I bet they are pretty high-maintenance pets!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Herp Nerd

I would be scared to death to have an adult capybara on a leash. They are prey animals, and so many things in their native habitat eat them... imagine they get spooked and suddenly you're being dragged down the street by a 150lb rampaging rodent. I have no idea what their personality is like, but if they're anything like guinea pigs or agoutis, which I have kept, they tend to be pretty skittish around anything unfamiliar, and you have to work pretty hard from a young age to get them to enjoy human company.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnos View Post
I would be scared to death to have an adult capybara on a leash. They are prey animals, and so many things in their native habitat eat them... imagine they get spooked and suddenly you're being dragged down the street by a 150lb rampaging rodent. I have no idea what their personality is like, but if they're anything like guinea pigs or agoutis, which I have kept, they tend to be pretty skittish around anything unfamiliar, and you have to work pretty hard from a young age to get them to enjoy human company.

That would be a funny sight!!! lol

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Part of the Pack

Well, from the experience I had with it in the parking lot it moves like a sloth.

It flinched (just a little) when a car started nearby which then freaked Noah out and knocked me over from a squatting positition.

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 09:55 PM
Rodentologist

In most places they are legal, mainly because nobody knows what they are. Most people are very unequipped to deal with them as pets. Their needs are similar to guinea pigs, and most people don't bother taking care of their guinea pigs very well.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Interesting, Kinda seems like it would be more of an outdoor pet wouldn't it?

Its funny how each year people pop up with new pets.. makes me wonder what pets our grandkids will have.

My Furry Family
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 01:49 AM
I am allergic to maths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
In most places they are legal, mainly because nobody knows what they are. Most people are very unequipped to deal with them as pets. Their needs are similar to guinea pigs, and most people don't bother taking care of their guinea pigs very well.
Too true Unfortunatley guinea pigs are one of the most ill cared for pets because people think they are easy to take care of when the truth is they need more care than the average rodent. I would imagine capybaras are kept indoors.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 09:15 AM
RAT ADDICT

So I tried to find information about them as pets,with not much luck.

Lots of pictures on this site though:
http://www.rebsig.com/capybara/

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodentzRule View Post
Too true Unfortunatley guinea pigs are one of the most ill cared for pets because people think they are easy to take care of when the truth is they need more care than the average rodent. I would imagine capybaras are kept indoors.
From what I've read on a breeder's site, it seems they are actually meant to be outdoors pets. She talks about the shelter requirements, pond, and grass that you should be able to provide. Though it looks like the celebrity Caplin has it both ways: he's got a nice shelter outside and also gets to sleep on a special pillow inside! (There are tons of videos of him on youtube, which are pretty amusing! And according to the videos, capybaras cannot move fast at all--they are VERY slow-moving, and will only "run"--still at a turtle's pace--if excited or scared.)

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 01:06 PM
I am allergic to maths

Maybe, being a rodent they could get messy. Its just that they are the size of a dog so cant be kept in cage/hutch and free run of the garden isnt really suitable. I guess if you built them a little stable/shed it would be OK, just thinking of the animal

Tags
capybara