question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

question

ok bear with me. I just saw on a website that someone had spiny mice and degus housed together. my question to all you is, "is this possible"???? because i know they have different diets. but this person did have it happening and working fine. wouls this help my spiny mice (they hate me and bite me no matter what i do) or would it just hurt my goo's, because i want to hurt no one in this. i just want them as happy as possible. my goo girls are happy and well, i dont' want to disturb that. but with both creatures being as social as they are, i can't help but think it could be possible? please let me know what you all think. thanks!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 10:52 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I would definately not do it...spiny mice are so much smaller and could be crushed. They also need very, very different diets as I'm sure you know. For example, spiny mice need lots of animal protein but degus are pretty much vegans.

If you want to house something else with the spiny mice maybe you could try getting a baby spiny? Since they had lost their baby? Crazy idea but you never know. Or you could get an already-tamed adult who could show them how to act?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 09:33 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I wouldn't ever put 2 different species together not even closely related ones such as degus and chinchillas, it might look cute but you have to look beyond that. Spiny mice and degus need completely different care such as diet and the type of home they live in, they also communicate differently and degus are much bigger then the spiny mice so one or both could end up injured. They are also totally different at the end of the day so its much better to keep species to species, i agree with Sasami why not get another Spiny mouse

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

yeah that's what i thought (about it being a bad idea) but, i'm curious, i had to ask. gettign another spiny mouse, ironically, i didn't think of. i dread having a third and not having it make any difference. i've been workign with them all week non stop, i'm still getting bitten. if i give them a baby, they won't hurt it? i can't introduce them on neutral ground becasue i can't hold them without being pierced. i'm also not jeopardizing another critter to save this. what about donating them to a breeder? they would be more experienced, or tolerant, of the incessant biting? heritage pets of ontario (or canada i think) accepted my offer to donate the girls, but i want to make sure i'm not giving up. i suppose only i can decide that eh? *sigh* it makes me cry when i get bit now, i'm so frustrated, i feel like an abuser, i feel like i'm terrorizing them, gah.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 09:13 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder
yeah that's what i thought (about it being a bad idea) but, i'm curious, i had to ask. gettign another spiny mouse, ironically, i didn't think of. i dread having a third and not having it make any difference. i've been workign with them all week non stop, i'm still getting bitten. if i give them a baby, they won't hurt it? i can't introduce them on neutral ground becasue i can't hold them without being pierced. i'm also not jeopardizing another critter to save this. what about donating them to a breeder? they would be more experienced, or tolerant, of the incessant biting? heritage pets of ontario (or canada i think) accepted my offer to donate the girls, but i want to make sure i'm not giving up. i suppose only i can decide that eh? *sigh* it makes me cry when i get bit now, i'm so frustrated, i feel like an abuser, i feel like i'm terrorizing them, gah.
If it's a baby they shouldn't hurt it. You would need to introduce on neutral ground, though. But you could just use a container or something so you don't have to handle them? The bathtub is a great "neutral" place.

I don't know if I would want to donate aggressive animals to a breeder only because mice that aggressive shouldn't be bred. If they could sign something saying they wouldn't breed them maybe that would be ok? I know when breeding my primary goals are to breed healthy and friendly mice...so I would never breed aggressive mice or ones with unknown genetic backrounds.

If you lived closer I would totally give you a baby from my first litter....

If I was in your situation I think I would just leave them alone...it really seems like something is mentally wrong with the mice . I would let them out (not by picking them up but with a container or something) and take good care of them but I would not try petting them or anything. But part of that is because I just couldn't bear to give up any of my animals. Where did you get them? I just find it so crazy how aggressive they are....

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

oh you'll love this, got 'em from a pet store closing sale. no one would buy them because they were adults already, t'was big momma, stella, and their brother. the brother was in a separate cage because he was attacking the girls. hence stella having no tail, and big momma having a crooked tail and chunks from her ear missing. and when i got them big momma also had fur missing. i think they were around 8 months old when i got them. big momma had her 1 baby left (all were sold i guess) and i just couldn't leave the girls there. the brother was apparently a nasty little thing. so i didn't take him (although i have nightmares over my guilt with that). i got all three girls for the price of one (they really wanted to get rid of them), the sales lady didn't bother to tell me not to use cedar chips (why the baby died i think) and sshe told me to keep them moving in your hands (she was like, looked like making a snowball, i think she was a snowball lol). when i got the girls home (since i went in there looking for a hedgehog or mouse) i bled the net dry for info on spiny mice, THEN found the info on never using cedar. unfortunatley, i was in such a hurry to set up a cage since they were in boxes. so, i set up cage, add mice, read on net, freak out, then baby dies. it was a bad night, iwas really upset. i can't handle knowing it my fault something dies again, its' not like it's old age....i can handle that, it's logical. anyways....the site i posted, heritage pets, i've talked with them. i didn't htink about the possibility they're 'genetically aggressive, so i agree i'll just keep them. especially remembering about the brother, now, there's no way i'm even LETTING them reproduce lol. *sigh* ok so, i have retard mice, what do i do....let them be i guess eh? i take care of them they're so cute i couldn't do otherwise. they have such gorgeous coats. i'm totally cool with having eye candy pets, they don't mind the cage cleaning, i think they play hide and seek/tag with me, they run up the brush and dustpan, up my arm, then back down. it's hands they seem to hate. last week in the bathroom, big momma actually contemplated climbing onto my leg, it was like a breakthrough. i got bit so much my adrenalin made following bites not hurt, almost made me faint though, shot the ole anxiety through the roof! a'ight, we'll see how this week goes, i promise to keep you posted, you have no idea how much i appreaciate this help, i'd be so lost without you!

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 04:14 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
oh you'll love this, got 'em from a pet store closing sale. no one would buy them because they were adults already, t'was big momma, stella, and their brother. the brother was in a separate cage because he was attacking the girls. hence stella having no tail, and big momma having a crooked tail and chunks from her ear missing. and when i got them big momma also had fur missing. i think they were around 8 months old when i got them. big momma had her 1 baby left (all were sold i guess) and i just couldn't leave the girls there. the brother was apparently a nasty little thing. so i didn't take him (although i have nightmares over my guilt with that). i got all three girls for the price of one (they really wanted to get rid of them), the sales lady didn't bother to tell me not to use cedar chips (why the baby died i think) and sshe told me to keep them moving in your hands (she was like, looked like making a snowball, i think she was a snowball lol). when i got the girls home (since i went in there looking for a hedgehog or mouse) i bled the net dry for info on spiny mice, THEN found the info on never using cedar. unfortunatley, i was in such a hurry to set up a cage since they were in boxes. so, i set up cage, add mice, read on net, freak out, then baby dies. it was a bad night, iwas really upset. i can't handle knowing it my fault something dies again, its' not like it's old age....i can handle that, it's logical. anyways....the site i posted, heritage pets, i've talked with them. i didn't htink about the possibility they're 'genetically aggressive, so i agree i'll just keep them. especially remembering about the brother, now, there's no way i'm even LETTING them reproduce lol. *sigh* ok so, i have retard mice, what do i do....let them be i guess eh? i take care of them they're so cute i couldn't do otherwise. they have such gorgeous coats. i'm totally cool with having eye candy pets, they don't mind the cage cleaning, i think they play hide and seek/tag with me, they run up the brush and dustpan, up my arm, then back down. it's hands they seem to hate. last week in the bathroom, big momma actually contemplated climbing onto my leg, it was like a breakthrough. i got bit so much my adrenalin made following bites not hurt, almost made me faint though, shot the ole anxiety through the roof! a'ight, we'll see how this week goes, i promise to keep you posted, you have no idea how much i appreaciate this help, i'd be so lost without you!
I'm glad to hear you're keeping them. I agree that it sounds like they just hate hands. When I first got Isis she was like that...she wasn't afraid of me but was terrified of my hands. I think your mice consider you and your hands to be two different things . They probably like you but hate the hands. Have you tried gloves?

I totally understand about the anxiety...I'm the same way. Isis has a strange habit of nipping the back of my neck so I get paranoid when she's on my shoulder.

It really sounds as if your girls were inbred or from bad lines. And it also seems like they weren't properly socialized when they were little . I got Osiris as an adult but he was from a breeder and the petstore was handling him daily.

~Stephanie

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

And, I got bit yesterday, but not today. I've been ttalking with someone in my area who's a hobby breeder and has some spinies already. I'm just asking her advice and questions too, maybe ask her to come over and see them and help me (like, tutor me). I've done the gloves thing, instead of one bite and running away, i'll get 2 to 4 consecutive bites because they're not breaking through. I have them in a glass thank with a metal lid, I think they think my hand/arm is a snake, seriously. I have two Habitrail cages i can link together for them (sans tubing, i hate it) with doors on the sides, do you think that would make a difference?

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 08:22 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
And, I got bit yesterday, but not today. I've been ttalking with someone in my area who's a hobby breeder and has some spinies already. I'm just asking her advice and questions too, maybe ask her to come over and see them and help me (like, tutor me). I've done the gloves thing, instead of one bite and running away, i'll get 2 to 4 consecutive bites because they're not breaking through. I have them in a glass thank with a metal lid, I think they think my hand/arm is a snake, seriously. I have two Habitrail cages i can link together for them (sans tubing, i hate it) with doors on the sides, do you think that would make a difference?
I think moving them into another cage is worth a shot . Just give them a day or so to settle before handling them.

~Stephanie

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

yeah, okay, if you don't think it will hurt then neither do i. I'll giver a go. I've had the girls for a good year and a half, a change should be fun, not stressful right?

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
yeah, okay, if you don't think it will hurt then neither do i. I'll giver a go. I've had the girls for a good year and a half, a change should be fun, not stressful right?
They might be a little stressed at first but nothing major. If they really seem scared you can always move them back.

Isis was moved from a cage to a tank and was actually excited by the change...especially since I got her new toys .

Maybe they'll be so busy exploring the new cage they won't be so focused on biting you?

Just make sure everything is secure and watch for signs of them chewing the base of the cage. I have a Habitrail cage (I just use it for quarantine when needed) and the door is really easy for rodents to open so I have to tie it shut with wire.

~Stephanie

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

Okay, well, I'm bored so I'll go do that now and post after

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

Hi everybody. I set the girls up with the two cages: One food/bed, the other has their 2 wheels and tp rolls. I think they like it. I wore rubber dish gloves but i was only bitten a few minor tries right at the start. When i actually transferred Big Momma to the cages, she sat quite nicely on my hands and arms, she didn't really move a lot, i think she's lightening up. She bit me an hour later, but I deserved that, they were napping and i offered a treat. Also what surprised me, was that I've always used a water bowl, but i do have a bottle for wired cages, and they took to it like they've always had one. I hit tiny treat bits in all the corners for their explorations. We'll see how they are after a long night's rest.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

Also a nice thing, is directly above them in the ceiling is the heat vent. We live in the basement and windy days penetrate our lousy lil windows lol. I took some pics of the girls in their abode. The Pliers on the left cage keep the door shut by weight lol.Enjoy!

Last edited by mulder; 12-11-2006 at 10:23 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

Here's some more.

Last edited by mulder; 12-11-2006 at 10:23 PM.

Tags
cage cleaning, pet store, spiny mice, spiny mouse, water bowl