Question about bedding - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Question about bedding

Can you use newspaper for bedding with rodents? Or is there something else that is really cheap/free to use for bedding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 01:41 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

http://ratguide.com/care/environment...ing_litter.php

Quote:
Shredded Paper

Shredded paper can be used for your rats bedding. It must be changed often as it tends to get mushy when wet. Make sure that if you use shredded newspaper that it is printed with non-toxic soy or vegetable ink. Keep in mind that light colored rats will end up with dirty looking fur from the ink.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Fleece might be a consideration. It's a one-time purchase and you can often get some from the scrap bin at fabric stores. Cut it to the shape of the cage levels and then just wash and reuse. Depending on the animal you may be able to litterbox train them, making cleanup easier.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

The newspaper will get really nasty and soggy and you will have to change it very often, but other than that I think it would work.

If you buy woodchip [aspen] bedding from farm supply stores in bulk then it is pretty cheap. You can get giant bags for $5 that last quite a while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

I'm really liking the fleece idea! The reason I asked this question was because I'm starting a pet store and I'm trying to cut cost where ever I can without harming the lives the animals off course. We get our place in two weeks...so excited and so nervous!

Here's a thread from a couple months ago: http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f75/p...eas-53190.html

And another from like two years ago: http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f33/a...ore-44353.html

Any info about anything is really appreciated. I've leared a lot, but I still have a lot of learning to do.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 09:35 AM
RAT ADDICT

Aspen is good.
Newspaper and shredded paper can be used too,but I find it needs to be changed much more often!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 05:20 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Fleece might work for guinea pigs or rats but I really can't see it working out for mice, hamsters, gerbils, etc. They'd probably chew it to pieces .

Honestly, aspen shavings are pretty inexpensive and work well . I'm a big fan of Yesterday's News, as well, since it's so easy to clean and absorbs well.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

If you are going to be using it in a store, I will agree with others and say that aspen is probably a very good option. It's pretty cheap and works well.

You probably know this already, but since it hasn't been mentioned in this thread I will bring up for the benefit of anyone else reading that pine and cedar bedding should NOT be used for small animals as it can be harmful to their respiratory systems.

Maureen

Six new rats