Which rodent to get? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 07:29 AM
RAT ADDICT

I have both rats and a guinea pig and love them both.I still go with rat tho! However I do want to add,that guinea pigs are wonderul little guys as well.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Newborn Pup

-whispers- had my mom net been terrified of rats, I probably would've had both as well a couple of years ago
post #18 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:40 PM
laugh often

I'd get a rat. They are pretty cool and don't bite as much as hamsters or mice. None of mine have ever bitten me. Rat's can actually learn tricks and to come to their name or for a treat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 03:26 PM

I HIGHLY recommend a chinchilla. They're the most loving and sociable animals I've ever had. they have no sent, and require little maintenance. It's like having a puppy 24/7 (except chinchillas will only pee in their cage) Plus they'll get excited and bark, wag their tails, and run over to you when you come near their cage.
post #20 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 08:07 PM

Mice! Mice are small, sociable, friendly, sweet, amusing, smart... Mice greet you when you get home, don't smell, easy to care for... They are gorgeous. <3 I got my first when I was young, two females. They came to me when I called, they fell asleep in my hands, they even went SWIMMING with me... they're gorgeous animals! If you want to know more about mice, mail me. ^^
post #21 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 04:08 AM
laugh often

mice are easier to take care of compared to rats but female mice needs to be in pairs or more as they are sociable animals and boy mice are kept alone but they smell a little more.

PSS... When you figure out what animal you're going to go with let us know!

1 Cat- Luna
post #22 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperfection View Post
Mice! Mice are small, sociable, friendly, sweet, amusing, smart... Mice greet you when you get home, don't smell, easy to care for... They are gorgeous. <3 I got my first when I was young, two females. They came to me when I called, they fell asleep in my hands, they even went SWIMMING with me... they're gorgeous animals! If you want to know more about mice, mail me. ^^

It's true, mice are fantastic pets, and mine did all the same as hers lol
post #23 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
I'm going to go with a guinea pig!

Actually, Guinea pigs are evolved to such a level, that they aren't technically "rodents" any more.
post #24 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I love mice! although...males have a strong odor to them...if you can get them neutered..it will reduce it by 90%...otherwise, get females

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #25 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 11:01 PM
laugh often

I use bio odor in the water I give to my bucks (male mice) and it reduces the smell by a ton! The only bad thing is it takes a few days to a week for it to work completely.

1 Cat- Luna
post #26 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Adolescent Pup

i've only had a hamster before but rats sound good. and chinchillas and guinea pigs too. and mice. that's a tough decision. i hope you get a good one.

Pet Parent to:

Golden/Labrador Retriever: Maxine

My Two Favorite Dwarf Hamsters:

Love you buddy, I'll see you later: Ozzy

Gone, but never forgotten: Drix

I liked this smiley so I just had to add it.
post #27 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 06:16 PM

which kind of rodent?

Hamsters are generally solitary animals, so they need to be kept in their own cage alone. It's been said that gerbils are friendlier than hamsters, and are also not nocturnal. So they'll interact with you during the daytime when most other rodents are sleeping. I really like rats too though. If I had my choice, I'd say go for a rat. Hard thing is finding one that is healthy and doesn't have respiratory issus (Murine Respiratory Mycoplasmosis is a BIG respiratory problem for rats and is incurable). I've also had degus and found that they were very sweet. They are a little hard to take care of because of their diet restrictions.

Just my thoughts.

Debbie
post #28 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 03:26 PM

I would say Rabbit or Guinea Pig..I don't know when you need it by, but I am breeding English Spotted Rabbits, look them up on google, or pm or aim me for more infomation on my Thumbper, my female.She is about 3 or 4, and she is beautiful. If I post pics, I will let you know, but it is Guinea or Rabbit I would say, but I have never had a hamster, chincilla, or ret, and didn't even know what a Degu was until I came here.
post #29 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Rodentologist

Rabbits aren't rodents.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #30 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 03:29 PM

Just ignore that post!*no sleep kicking in now!*

Tags
cage cleaning, degu food, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, female mice, female rat, female rats, guinea pig, hay rack, level cage, litter train, litter trained, male mice, male rat, male rats, pet store, pine bedding, potty train, potty trained, sit still, social animals, teddy bear