Which rodent to get? - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 09:01 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Animals who eat meat do smell.
You might get use to the smell, but a rat has a quet "sharp" smell, if you compare it to an animal that doses not eat meat...
Even though I don't have any experince with rats, I would say a rat would be the best choice too

It is not true that the degu is born diabetic. It would be impossible for the species to survive, if this was the cace.
They do easily get diebetes though, that's why they need a special diet

I wouldn't recoment a chinchilla.
Most of them don't want to be handeld for more than a couple of minutes. They want to run around instead.
They are quite intelligent though, semi-social, and they only smell if they get frightend

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Chinchi; 02-16-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Will It Ever Change?

i still say rat all the way. picture a rat, now imagine a dogs personality in it, it's great!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #33 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post

I wouldn't recoment a chinchilla.
Most of them don't want to be handeld for more than a couple of minutes. They want to run around instead.
They are quite intelligent though, semi-social, and they only smell if they get frightend

i dunno, my chinchilla loved to be cuddled and rubbed. he also loved to sit in pockets and sacks lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 03:39 PM

Definately a rat, hands down. I've had 2 different types of hamsters, mice and rats and rats have won my heart over by far. I just got my second pair of rats, Eclipse and Charcoal and am utterly in love with them. They seem to be exactly what ou are looking for as i see the things your girlfriend is looking for in a pet (:
post #35 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 02:32 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenEclipse View Post
Definately a rat, hands down. I've had 2 different types of hamsters, mice and rats and rats have won my heart over by far. I just got my second pair of rats, Eclipse and Charcoal and am utterly in love with them. They seem to be exactly what ou are looking for as i see the things your girlfriend is looking for in a pet (:
Just wanted to say,I had a ratty named Charcoal!!!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #36 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 05:33 PM

I prefer Dwarf hamsters, they're cute sweet little, and more active than syrian hammies, not really nocturnel, and they don't have a hairless tail (CREEPY). I've never owned a rat though.......

Last edited by kamper427; 02-19-2008 at 05:37 PM.
post #37 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 06:54 PM
laugh often

Let us know when you decided what animal you're gonna go with. . If none of these animals sound like an animal you'd be happy then ya'll can always look into reptiles and such.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #38 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 02:03 PM

I dunno guys. College is a busy time, she might be to busy to take care of rats. I would say hamsters, but no go on the Syrian.(And don't let them trick you with "Teddy Bear") In my experience, (I have owned both) Dwarves all the way. They are nocturnal, so if she is up working late, they will want to play with her. But I'm at a loss. Because I've always wanted a rat or two, but my mom hates them so she got me the cutest hamsters ever. (She thinks it will fill the void)
post #39 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 08:41 PM
laugh often

every animal needs lots of care and attention just some may need more time and attention, it'd prob. be good to choose n animal that can live happily with her schedule. Does she absolutely want a rodent?

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #40 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 04:56 PM

how about a couple of chinchilla's there awesome little fury balls, I love my two they are very entertaining to watch, and they greet me every morning when I come home from work. Just as long as u have time to spend with them and pay attention to their diet and clean and maintain there cage daily, there good to go. And never once have I ever had any odors come from them. Well that's my opinion get a couple of chinnies there cool little animals
post #41 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 03:02 AM
Jird Jostler

How about a jird? They are kinda hard to get but are gorgeous critters. Also you can train them like rats but they are less smelly and more sociable.
xxxx

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
post #42 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 05:18 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongClaws View Post
i dunno, my chinchilla loved to be cuddled and rubbed. he also loved to sit in pockets and sacks lol
Sorry, didn't see this before now.

Well, you have 1 chinchilla.
I have 6 and have had 4 chinchillas other that these, but they died for different reasons.
Some animals like to be handeld, some do not. It's not just something I think, it's a fact.
They've only been domesticated for a little under a 100 years. This means that a lot of their wild nature stille remains.
I know a lot of people whit between 1-20 chinchillas, and they all say the same thing. Not one chinchilla is the same, and most of them don't like to cuddle.
They might like to run around on you, and run around and play while you are there, but not all that cuddle stuff. They have a much better time exploring everything.

So if you want a cuddle animal, a chinchilla is definatly not a good pet.
If you want a fun animal, that don't mind being handeld for short periods of time, have a great personality, and is fun to watch, it's a good pet.

I've seen WAY too many people who get chins, and then don't want them anymore, because they don't want to sit still for long periods of time, like you see with some of the more normal rodents and rabbits

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #43 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 08:49 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia163 View Post
How about a jird? They are kinda hard to get but are gorgeous critters. Also you can train them like rats but they are less smelly and more sociable.
xxxx
Rats are HIGHLY social,just to let you know.They thrive in pairs or groups.Males and females like to be with same sex cagemates!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #44 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 07:42 PM

Ratties all the way! I am getting my first 2 rats tomorrow and I am just so excited!
post #45 of 72 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 02:45 AM
Jird Jostler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat View Post
Rats are HIGHLY social,just to let you know.They thrive in pairs or groups.Males and females like to be with same sex cagemates!
Sorry, but i do think jirds are MORE social im not saying rats are not because my friend used to have one and that one loved to be cuddled, but i just think jirds are more social because if you let them run around the floor they will come up to you when they want to go back in their cage or when they want a cuddle.
xxxxxx

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.

Tags
cage cleaning, degu food, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, female mice, female rat, female rats, guinea pig, hay rack, level cage, litter train, litter trained, male mice, male rat, male rats, pet store, pine bedding, potty train, potty trained, sit still, social animals, teddy bear