Which rodent to get? - Page 5 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 01:45 PM
Jird Jostler

This was only what i was told when i purchassed my GP's. I still think they need lots of room though , outdoors or indoors because in the wild they have fairly large teritories and we only want the best possible life for our animals am i right?

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Rodentologist

Guinea pigs in the wild are very different from domesticated guinea pigs. Wild dogs are called wolves, and have to chase down caribou and elk, but they do fine in our houses eating dog food, so it'd be silly to insist you only own dogs if you have deer outside for them to run down an eat.

I do agree that they need lots of room, though. I build cages like at http://www.guineapigcages.com. I prefer at least 10 square feet for a pair (though once they're adults, they rarely do a lot of roaming around, they prefer their cuddle pillow near the hay rack)

Just edited to add, I've seen way too many sad stories of all types of animals -- guinea pigs, rabbits, cats, etc -- meeting sad ends while living outside to ever recommend it. In the summertime, the heat index easily reaches 110 degrees each year, and small animals have heat strokes. Inside they're cool, cared for, and happy.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Last edited by Jennicat; 05-29-2008 at 01:51 PM.
post #63 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Jird Jostler

We let my guinea pig out of his run today, for a run around in the garden (which he loves and we have trained him to go back into his cage at around about 7ish at night..- just as it drops dark). It was quite warm this afternooon but we leave trays of water all around the garden from which he can drink. Also they tend to stay in the shade anyway.

I'm Georgia,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Rodentologist

I certainly take my pigs out to enjoy the grass when the weather is nice, but they stay inside when I can't supervise them (I've seen cases of hawks taking pigs, raccoons and coyotes breaking into hutches, even people stealing them or doing cruel things!).

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #65 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Jird Jostler

Yes we only let him out when he is supervised. This we learn't from the sad incident when we got home to find black fur on the garden, two of our guinea pigs had gone.. To this day we don't know what had happend to them. But as my mum says atleast they had a nice life out, free in our garden.

I'm Georgia,
post #66 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

The domesticaded dog is said not only to come from the wolf, but also from other types of wild dogs
(other wild dogs could be animals like the fox, the african wild dog, the hyena and so on)

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #67 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 05:15 AM
Rodentologist

Huh, guess they haven't updated the nomenclature, since it's still classed as a subspecies of gray wolf.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog

The dog is Canis lupis familiaris, a subspecies of Canis lupis, the gray wolf.

post #68 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 05:24 AM
Jird Jostler

but there is more than one species of dog.. do they all come from wolves ??

I'm Georgia,
post #69 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 05:27 AM
Jird Jostler

But there is more than one species of dog.. do they all come from wolves ?

I'm Georgia,
post #70 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 05:27 AM
Rodentologist

The domestic dog is all one species, canis lupis familiaris. Every breed of dog (German Shepherd, chihuahua, pointers, etc) are all the same species, they just look different. Sort of how petite people and basketball players are all human beings, they just have a lot of physical variation.

post #71 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 05:27 AM
Jird Jostler

woops =]

I'm Georgia,
post #72 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 05:27 AM
Jird Jostler

cool..

I'm Georgia,

Tags
cage cleaning, degu food, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, female mice, female rat, female rats, guinea pig, hay rack, level cage, litter train, litter trained, male mice, male rat, male rats, pet store, pine bedding, potty train, potty trained, sit still, social animals, teddy bear