Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Which Rodent(s) should I get, newbie here.

12K views 38 replies 21 participants last post by  Skratikans 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, I am new here, you can find my introduction in the intros section.

I currently have a Dog and 3 Lizards but Im looking to get some small rodents but unsure which.

I am very dedicated and able to pay any vet fees etc. I joined here to get some help on first choosing and then on care. I have read a lot of caresheets but I think the best information comes from owners.

The rodents I have looked at are:
Chinchillas
Degus
Prairie Dogs
Sugar Gliders
Chipmunks

I am looking for something which is good fun to look after, shows good activity and likes to be handled which I belive all the above are.

I dont mind how long they live as my Bearded Dragons will live for 8 to 15 years aslong as it doesnt live 80 years like a Tortoise.

I will be at work through the day so ideally something which is awake more in the morning and evenings. Im usually up at 6 and then back about 6 and go to bed at 11. I heard Chinchillas and Degus fit this time well however they make a lot of noise whilst your sleeping? I'm a deep sleeper so doubt they could wake me but could they wake people nextdoor?

I was also told Prairie Dogs and Sugar Gliders have a complicated diet so was thinking Chinchillas, Degus or Chipmunks?

Finally I was thinking of getting 2-3 of a rodent as I understand they are all very social. I know not to get more than 1 male so was thinking of 3 females? Also is it ok to buy from pet shop or is a breeder a lot better?

I know from experience with Lizards in pet shops they are not always looked after properly so better to buy from a breeder?

Sorry for the essay but all help is 100 percent appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

See less See more
#28 ·
Biasedly a flyer sounds good for you, they're pretty quiet, great fun once they've bonded to you. fun to watch and they live 10-15 yrs. they're pretty easy, and like your lizards they need calcium and vitamin d3 supplements and you can actually use the reptile supplement for the southern flying squirrel. they're social with you and who you live with and sometimes others but they prefer being in cages by themselves unless they have a mate.
But degus sound pretty cool too, thinkin bout gettin a few of those later once im out of my parents' house and in my own place.

#36 ·
GP's, degus, chinchillas and a couple of more exotic rodents do have long lifespans :)[/quote]

true, but ferrets are small and playful like rodents and also deserve to be considered :yes:

#39 ·
I've had mice, rats, hamsters of all sorts, and guinea pigs..and I do not have one answer..all I can say is that each one has deeply enriched my life and I NEVER regretted having any of them, each one brought something new to the table, each one was nothing short of special in their own ways

Regardless of which rodent you get, you will have made a great choice, rodents make amazing pets and sometimes it's hard to believe how amazing they actually are

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.