Rodent Sitter? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Question Rodent Sitter?

I have a question for all you rodent owners out there.

What do you do with your pets when you go on vacation?

The reason I’m asking this is I have a kind of business idea, and I was never able to go through with it because I rented… but as of next week I will be living in my own home. So my little idea was to start a rodent “kennel”, you know like where you would bring your dog or cats when you go on vacation, except I will only take in rodents.

I have my diploma as a Vet Assistant (VOA), and I’ve owned many different pets in my 25 years of life, I used to be the kid on the block that took care of all the neighbors pets and then ended up once I could drive I was driving to friends of a friend place all over the city to care for there animals LOL… So I definitely have experience.

My second question is,
Would you use a service like this?

I’m thinking I would charge anywhere from $5 to $20 a day depending on the animal and if it had any medical needs. My restrictions would be the animal would have to be healthy and be in a cage/tank, though breeds like Ferrets and Chinchillas would get play time outside the cage everyday (not together! lol).

So I would like your comments.
I’ve thought about this for 4 or 5 years, and so now I want to put my thoughts into actions.

Thanks to all who respond!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 08:50 PM
Adolescent Pup

I would use it. I definately dont know what to do for my gerbils and rats this summer.(Im on tour in a marching band) You should try to put flyers up to see if you get a couple of calls within a week's time. If you do, I say...Go for it!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy
I would use it. I definately dont know what to do for my gerbils and rats this summer.(Im on tour in a marching band) You should try to put flyers up to see if you get a couple of calls within a week's time. If you do, I say...Go for it!
Where in Canada are you Fuzzy?

I'll be taking care of my friends clan at the end of the month when she has a baby. She has over 30 gerbils being she breeds some of the most amazing colours. I'll be caring for her's for free since she's my friend and i LOVE all her gerbies! lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 10:33 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I don't know if I would use a service like that, but that's because I have friends and family to look after my animals.

It's a good idea, though ^_^. I say go for it.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 10:36 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

If I didn't have family to help me I would look into something like that! I say go for it! You only live once right!

Shannon

Mother to a beautiful girl!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaS15
Where in Canada are you Fuzzy?

I'll be taking care of my friends clan at the end of the month when she has a baby. She has over 30 gerbils being she breeds some of the most amazing colours. I'll be caring for her's for free since she's my friend and i LOVE all her gerbies! lol
Sudbury, Ontario. Thats a lot of gerbils!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I've found myself very luck in that I have a cousins who has owned gerbils and will look after mine, and my Mother has a coupel rescues I got her, so she would look after mine as well.
The only problem is transporting 13 gerbils over an hour to get to them LOL..
From what I read on boards, so many people don't have anyone that will care for there pets when they go away, and they end up leaving them alone for days with just extra food and water.
Working in vet Clinics, I have delt with those poor animals who had an accident when the owners left them, Not all the animals were able to be helped, it's just so sad.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 05:27 PM
Checks Out PD 'Cheeky Bits'!

I think it's a fab idea, there are always people going on holiday or feel they can't because they can't find anyone to take of their smallies - I don't go on holiday, trust no one with my furballs you see but I do think it is a very good idea and I hope you achieve you goal - good luck!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 10:13 AM
Playful Pup

That's a really cool idea! I usually leave my rodents in the care of my neighbors, but I can't say I totally trust them with my beloved pets. I always wanted to do something like that, but I don't have any room for more cages!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 07:43 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

>> My restrictions would be the animal would have to be healthy and be in a cage/tank <<

I have 23 habitats here and would need a small truck to transport them all!

If I ever go on an extended vacation I would have to find the local dog walker I know and mostly trust to do the basic feedings. The rabbit and GPs I might have to take to a place such as yours, though.

Tags
vet clinic