Sick hamster! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Sick hamster!

Something is seriously wrong with currently Nameless. SAhe can't awlk properly. her hipbones are all sunken or soemthing. She's eating and stuff. I don't know if she's drtinking bt her water bottle is fine. She's being all lethargic and just resting in between everything. i thin kshe's losing control of her hind legs. Is a hump back normal becuase she has it and I thought it was?? it might be dehydration fo some reason but I don't know!!

there's something wrong with her spine. Its all humpy in the middle and she still has trouble walking, she keeps falling over. She's lethargic...i don't know what to do!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 01:45 AM
Will It Ever Change?

V-e-t!!!!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

My gramma is taking care of us and my parents are at europe. My gramma thinks hamsters are disposable pets!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 01:50 AM
Will It Ever Change?

Oh right, sorry, i hear ya there. well, make sure the water and food are close together so he does'nt have to move a lot, see if he "heals", give him toilet paper to make a bed with. that's all i can think of.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I'll do that. Thanks so much for the advice.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well, I woke up... My gramma told me to get off becuase it was late... then she said wait it out but I wanted a vet so bad!! Currently Nameless just sat there when I took her out this morning. She would wiggle her nose.. stop then wiggle again. Then she started moving and I was so thankful she wasn't completely paralyzed. I let her walk around and she's trembling and her back legs are'nt moving properly an she keeps falling over. I still don't know if the hump is normal or not but It's still there. She's just so lethargic and I hope she's not in pain.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 09:27 AM
I Heart My Job

Unfortunately there isn't much we can do for you other than to tell you to see a vet. I'm sorry, and I hope there is something you can do for her. Is there any way you could at least call a vet on the phone? There might be some advice they could give you over the phone about how to make her more comfortable, or what could have caused the problem, so that maybe you could at least take away the catalyst.

sparkle->
shadow->

To seize the dragon is to face life.

I've been frosted!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I'll try and find a small animal vet on the phone. I know there are two vet offices at least in our town.

I did get her to have water tho. I put the pippette thingy inside her mouth and squeezed water in slowly. i don't know if I should be happy she drank or worried she doesn't have the energy to move her head anymore. She barely woke up at a ll this time and I don't think she could uncurl herself. My gramma offered to give her more water, which I'm grateful for 'cause my parents would have never offered. When I get home I'm going to mash up some food and see if she'll eat it.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well, Currently Nameless passed away . and all becuase my stupid gramma wouldn't take me to the vets! I had to watch my own hamster die a slow and hopefully not painless death right in front of me! I really wish I could drive! Then none of this would have happened and Currently Nameless wouldn't be resting beside her cagemate, Ginger Bear!

....rant over. I would like to remember Currently Nameless as a hamster that would always come to the front of the cage and climb the bars, begging to be let out whenever I walked into the room. The hamster that never went on her wheel in the night, but instead during the day for some reason. The one always trying to take everything away for nesting material, whether it be attached to something or not.

Goodbye Currently Nameless....I'll miss you.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 12:32 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Was she wet around her rear end? She could have possibly had wet-tail. I know it doesn't matter now.

Im sorry that you lost her. I know its not your fault. I just hate that your grandma feels that animals are disposable. I have family members like that also.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 01:18 PM
I Heart My Job

I'm very sorry for your loss. At least you stayed with her and did what you could for her under the circumstances. I'm sure she appreciated that.

sparkle->
shadow->

To seize the dragon is to face life.

I've been frosted!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Will It Ever Change?

aww hunny i'm sorry. I know grammas are, but don't blame her, she's just old fashioned. If yo'd gone to the vet they might have asked you to put it down anyways. he's in hammy heaven now, he's healthier now than he was alive. don't worry, we love you!

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

No, she didn't have any wettness around her rear end. i always check for that whenever she comes out and nothing like that was there.

Thanks for your support guys. I know they may have told me there was no hope at the vets but maybe it WAS curable.... oh well, i geuss what's done is done.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 04:38 PM
Will It Ever Change?

you can always get another hamster? you did everything you could! be satisfied with YOUR efforts. mice are fun too, great for cheering up

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

hehe, I may get another one but Since i'm saving for moving out of my house maybe not until i'm gone...

Tags
hind legs, nesting material