Spiny Mice - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Spiny Mice

So I didnt really Get an answer on them, Are they Good pets, easy To Tame? Fun? Loving, Age what they eat, etc. Any Info would be apprieciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I think they make ok pets for some people. I hear they are harder to tame, as they are more jumpy than domestic mice, they are quite active so they are fun to watch, probably more so than to hold and let run loose, i think they live about the same as a domestic mouse, and i THINK they eat the same as domestic mice, preferably good quality mice blocks and a small mix of a seed mix.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 05:00 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

I had a spiny mouse, and never going to have one or more again LOL
Spiny mice can live for up to 5years. I kept Scamper on a normal mouse diet, but it's good to give them meal worms and little things like that.
I could never tame Scamper, he was stubbon, but he was also a rescue and not had a very good life before. Scamper always bit. The thing was, when he bit me, he wouldn't let go and that really hurts! They do make good pets if you have the time and patients, bare in mind that they are very good escape artists and used to a hot environment, so when Scamper escaped, he went straight into the oven... it wasn't on, but still a heat source and we had to take the oven apart to get Scamper out.
They are more of a watch pet than a touch pet though. They can be very tame, however, I don't know anyone who has actually managed to get a very tame spiny mouse. They have beautiful colours and wonderful to look at and watch, but if you are looking for a cuddly pet that you can hold an stroke and love, spiny mice are not for you.
I've got some useful links for you, that helped me with my spiny mouse;
http://www.hiiret.fi/eng/spiny/care.html
and....
http://www.hiiret.fi/eng/spiny/care.html
Also...
http://goto.glocalnet.net/rat/tagg/index.htm
Hope they help
Good luck
xxxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10

Last edited by laydeerodentzz; 08-16-2008 at 05:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 11:58 PM
Will It Ever Change?

spinies are quite something I tell ya lol. Very spunky. prefer the same terrain as lizards, not fancy mice. I gave mine big branches to run along but they don't climb well lol. they are far less domesticated so they tend to be more stubborn about liking you. mine hated me, bit all the time, bit everyone for that matter. i had them 2.5 years and just have to give them up to someone else. they need good blocks to eat, SOME seed mix and NO sunflower seeds. Makes them fat and FAST! lol. They are high energy, need lots of room to run. just wheels and balls won't do it. big chewers for sure.

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 04:42 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I have no idea how I missed this post.

Anyways, whether or not they make good pets depends on the person. I found them to be great animals and would keep them again if I had the chance . Spinies aren't as easy to tame as a domestic mouse or a hamster. Part of it depends on where you get them...pet store spinies are notorious for being extremely difficult to handle. If you have the time and patience, though, you will be rewarded. A tame spiny mouse is nothing like a tame hamster...I've found that they bond much closer to you. They don't just learn to tolerate handling, they seem to genuinely enjoy being petted. Whenever I opened the top of my spiny mouse tank, they would jump out and onto me. They loved to play and run around but rarely tried to escape once they were adults (If your spiny mouse DOES escape though, and isn't tame you're in for quite a challenge. They're too smart for most humane traps and are really hard to catch.).

One thing you should be aware of is that you WILL be bitten eventually if you keep multiple spiny mice (unless maybe you get ones that are already tame and used to handling). The bite of a spiny mouse is pretty painful (and they have sharp little claws too). I'm just warning you because a lot of people get bitten once and then are too afraid to handle the mouse again.

Spiny mice should be fed a variety of different foods. I gave mine lab blocks, a small amount of seed mix (no corn or sunflower seeds, though), and small amounts of fresh vegetables/herbs every day plus a high-protein food (a couple pieces of high-quality dog food, scrambled eggs, or a few live crickets). Low-sugar/sugarless cereals are good for using as treats. They eat insects in the wild (and love to hunt, by the way) which is why I chose to feed live insects. They can survive without them but it's great stimulation and exercise. Just make sure to gut-load the crickets first (by feeding them a variety of healthy foods the day before offering them). It's important that you keep the diet low in fat and sugar, they're prone to diabetes and obesity.

Since spiny mice are so active, you need a large enclosure (don't get one with a plastic bottom because they'll chew out of it) with plenty of toys to climb on and chew. I had a bunch of tunnels, wooden houses, branches, chew toys, and a wheel. They can run around in an exercise ball but they prefer to explore in a pen or small room. Some will escape from the balls or chew out.

They usually live 3-4 years but can live longer. Once again, it depends on where you get them. Spiny mice from a breeder will be healthier than ones from a pet store in most cases.

Oh, and they need to be kept in pairs or groups. A single spiny mouse is often a very lonely spiny mouse. Keeping one alone can cause all sorts of behavioral problems (besides, watching a group of spiny mice interact and play is very entertaining). They're a social species, just like domestic mice (and with spinies, you can even keep males together with careful introduction).

I hope this helps . They're a bit more difficult to keep and handle than most common rodents but I personally feel it's totally worth it.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

This is Great Info, Thanks all, Im probably going to get 2-3.... will a 35 gallon tank be good enough? and, I have rats, so im assuming no interaction between them?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 05:02 AM
Will It Ever Change?

yup that tank is a good size and definitely NO rat interaction. rats live in north american-type climate regions (i think) and spinies are desert critters....there could be a predator/prey thing

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Awesome guys, thanks, and, One last thing.. anyone know of breeders in British Columbia Canada?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 11:23 AM
Playful Pup

I love my spiny mouse and am looking to get another. They are great!

One Dog, Pup.
Three Leopard Geckos, Morrison, Panzer and Lacerta.
One Spiny Mouse, Cairo.
Two Sugar Gliders, Piper and Cessna.
Three Bettas.
One Bullfrog.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 09:04 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Good luck getting your spiny mice and finding a good breeder!!
I bet you'll have a great time with your spinies!
xxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Adolescent Pup

I used to breed spiny mice, but when I was pregnant I put it on hold. My son is now 3 years old and I decided to stay away from breeding them anymore.

You need to find a good breeder who handles the babies from DAY ONE in order to get tame spiny mice. You CAN tame adults, but it takes a heck of a lot of trust training and you can't be afraid of getting bit, because you will.

I had extremely social spiny mice, handled them from day one, and they were wonderful pets. I still have 5 oldies left, who are between 4 and 7 years of age. They average around 5 years, but I found some lived only 2-3 while others lived far longer. This was possibly because of inbreeding in one colony I bought.

Here's a video of two of my spiny mice to show how tame they can be. One is a satin agouti, and the other one is a cream standard (she was born with a headspot, but it faded as she got her adult coat in, which is common). The cream girl is running around because she's younger and not used to the satin girl, they're from different cages and she was a little scared of the unfamiliar one. The satin girl, though, was older and an absolute love. The satin has since passed on, but the cream girl is still alive and with me, and comes right to the cage door for mealworms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_kkhBQ2Vos

2 rats, 2 mini rex bunnies, 2 cats, 1 prairie dog, 4 species breeding millipedes, 23 various different species tarantulas, 2 Heteropoda davidbowie huntsman spiders, 3 Liocheles australasiae scorps, 20+ Hogna helluo wolf spiderlings, etc.

spiders are addictive... and super easy to care for!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Ive seen that Video Before you even told me it was there, Thats you :o Neat, You also have a pouched Rat I see, im interested in those as well, Got lots of rat and other Rodent experience, Be awesome if you could tell me a little more about them other than theyre huge lol.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Hello Earthling

Heritage Pets breeds spiny mice.

Check them out. Oh and they ship in Canada,because their a group of Canadian exotic breeders
http://www.heritage-pets.com/id17.html

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Will It Ever Change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
Heritage Pets breeds spiny mice.

Check them out. Oh and they ship in Canada,because their a group of Canadian exotic breeders
http://www.heritage-pets.com/id17.html
yeah they're great people! i talked with them long ago about taking my spinies. i believe they're out of toronto. again, great folks

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Newborn Pup

Spiny mice are really awesome. I recently got a pair from a pet store and they are very tame and sweet. They don't bite. And its not like they were played with all the time, just picked up every day to once a week when their cage was cleaned. They do need extra protein beyond a regular mouse diet. You have to supplement with meat at least 3 times per week. It can be chicken, egg, insect, etc. They should also have cat food added to their regular mix. All the info I've seen out there on the internet says they are one of the most easily tamed rodents there is, and judging from the ones I got it is true. Mulder, I read your thread about your spinies, you got a couple of freaks, that is not normal. Mine are cuddly and very easy to pick up.

Tags
mice, rats, spiny