Toxicity to Pine & Cedar - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Toxicity to Pine & Cedar

Cedar and Pine Shavings are Toxic to ALL Small Animals!
Cedar and pine shavings, the bedding choices most commonly used for small animals, have been found to contain toxins!

Both cedar and pine contain phenols-that's the stuff that makes them smell good. Phenols are caustic, poisonous, acidic compounds. These compounds cause constant irritation to the nasal passages, throat, and lungs of small animals giving bacteria an easy opening, thus commonly causing pneumonia. Phenols also affect organs such as the liver and kidneys, because these organs are responsible for filtering toxins out of the body. When presented with a large amount of toxins over time, they are unable to filter it all out and begin to fail. An animal with a damaged liver will have a depressed immune system, which can lead to other medical conditions.

Bedding Alternatives!

Fortunately there are a number of good products on the market which take the place of traditional bedding.

Hardwood Shavings:
  • Sani-Chips® - PJ Murphy Forest Products [Aspen chips]
  • Aspen Shavings - Northeastern Products Corp.
  • Shredded Aspen - Aspen Bed I, American Excelsior Co.
  • Shredded Aspen - Harlan Teklad
Paper Products:Pelleted Beddings: If nothing else is available, less desirable products such as rabbit pellets or corn cob bedding also work. Please ask for additional information.

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 06:46 PM

Thanks for posting this Dawna Would be nice if this could get stickied...
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 06:48 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Don't forget eco bedding. I think that's the best

Oh and corn cob bedding has a mold factor if it's not cleaned out on time.

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 07:01 PM

Also I use Super Shavin's, since I'm asthmatic & aspen sorta chokes me up,since it can get a bit on the dusty side (my pets are in my room) Cozy Critter Super Shavins Bedding in four Sizes! - Animal World Network
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 07:34 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Yes,...i too hope that this will become a stickied thread.
Good info to know...especially those who are thinking about getting a small animal. The question of bedding will surely come up and they need to know this.

GOOD STICKY THREAD!!

Lve Never Fails

post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Title Thief Victim

Very good, Thanks for posting!

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 07:38 PM

Kiln dried pine shavings do not have the phenols and are perfectly fine for all rodents.

Also, corn cob can not be digested if eaten in large amounts. I had a guinea pig die from eating it. I would NOT recommend it for any animal.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 08:44 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Side note on the Corn Cob .....it isnt safe for birds either...some owners and even some petstores use it...but it also can be ingested by fids as they love to pic at everything...so it is dangerous for them.
It isnt recommended for piggies.
I think its a bad bedding choice for any animal.

Lve Never Fails

post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Thanks, I think it should be stickied as well as some people do not know and it would be easier to access and not needed to be told every time to someone that uses pine or cedar

私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 01:02 PM

Thanks for the info. I was reading the other day that for hamsters a mix of carefresh and aspen was the best for them. I just picked up both today so we will see how our little girl likes them.
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 01:41 PM
Will It Ever Change?

i got this new bag of stuff from the Kaytee company. it's called Soft-sorbent

16 Liters (1000 cu in) Kaytee Soft-Sorbent Bedding @ The Ferret Store

there's lots of other links that advertise all kaytee's products, like the scented soft sorbent. i just have the regular with no scent. my allergies are too sensetive to perfumes, and i don't take chances with my pets. i bought it at pet smart, their site has only scented listed though. so far mookierat has not had any issues i can see. cage cleaning day for the goos and hammy is approaching, so we'll see what my goobers think of it. they'll certainly be able to kick it farther. it's like puffed what looking. but the pebbles are all different tiny sizes. it's intriguing. the first thing i did when i got home was open the bag and touch it to see what it's like. well, it's neat. it reminds me of mushed paper that's been dried into balls, but it's also fibrous like wood. lightweight, but not compacted. when buying a bag, what you see is what you get, not like others what you pull apart to expand. that's maybe the ONLY downside so far. it has no smell, i didn't sneeze when i opened the bag. and mookierat has not eaten any (i wouldn't see why they'd want to). also, being in pebble form, it doesn't really "stick" to you and transfer onto people or into other rooms, it just stays on the floor.

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 01:58 PM
Guarded by Waffles

great point! Glad someone posted that

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 05:58 PM

yes they are, all soft wood bedding is toxic, it can cause URIs and kidney failure

Carefresh and aspen are great though
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 12:48 AM
RAT ADDICT

I use YN mixed with aspen.It works greyt for my animals.

This topic DOES need to be stickied,as so many ppl think it is okay to use pine and cedar,because pet stores sell it and it is cheap.That ticks me off,because obviously they haven't done enough research.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
I use YN mixed with aspen.It works greyt for my animals.

This topic DOES need to be stickied,as so many ppl think it is okay to use pine and cedar,because pet stores sell it and it is cheap.That ticks me off,because obviously they haven't done enough research.
Agree's 100%

私は武井靖巣あなたをして

Tags
aspen shavings, cage cleaning, corn cob, corn cob bedding, dried pine, dried pine shavings, guinea pig, hamster cage, human food, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, litter box, pet owner, pet store, pet stores, pine bedding, pine shavings, rabbit pellets, respiratory infection, wood shavings