A warning for pregnant women about exposure to rodents... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Curmudgeon

A warning for pregnant women about exposure to rodents...

This is from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) concerning pregnant women and possible exposure to Lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus (LCMV) through rodents, including pet rodents.

Birth Defects, Facts and Prevention

bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 10:54 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Thats really interesting. I'm in a developmental psychology class now and we discussed the effects of litter boxes and cats. (they carry stuff in their feces.) I might take that into my teacher and show it to him. I didn't think that rodents would produce something that would be harmful. Thanks a lot

*Missy*
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 05:49 AM

I think thats quite silly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 06:20 AM
User Is No Longer Welcome

I heard about a small animals supplier that had the LCMV virus that spread to all its animals. It caused I think 4 people to die in Illinois and Ohio from getting bit and then donating an organ. The person that recieved the organs died. The supplier had to put down over 4,000 animals and they filed bankrupcy. Sounds confusing I know, I will see if I can find the story somewhere. They were a supplier for petsmarts in indiana. I used to work at Petsmart as a dog trainer when It happend. Midwest was the company name. Anyway, Ill see if I can find more info.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 09:02 AM
PT's Troll Hunter

Ambieruns10, that sorta sounds familiar...

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 09:31 AM
I Heart My Job

I think this is what you're talking about. I remember being very shocked when I heard about it.

sparkle->
shadow->

To seize the dragon is to face life.

I've been frosted!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 09:38 AM

Yeah,that is what I was talking about. Thanks for finding the info. I wish I could find something about the supplier having to put to sleep over 4,000 animals. The Petsmart where I worked was still allowed to sell the animals from midwest that they had left and then they switched to a new supplier. I also wonder if there is a way to test for it, I have been bit by the animals from midwest.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambieruns10
Yeah,that is what I was talking about. Thanks for finding the info. I wish I could find something about the supplier having to put to sleep over 4,000 animals. The Petsmart where I worked was still allowed to sell the animals from midwest that they had left and then they switched to a new supplier. I also wonder if there is a way to test for it, I have been bit by the animals from midwest.
Currently, there is no easy test than can be performed on the animal (...or yourself) to indicate the presence of LCMV.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 10:50 PM
Part of the Pack

I have heard this of cats and their litter that pregnant women should be around it, I never heard it about rodents though. A few years back there was a out break of the hanta virus so I guess it is true
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Deana-
I have heard this of cats and their litter that pregnant women should be around it, I never heard it about rodents though. A few years back there was a out break of the hanta virus so I guess it is true
That's three totally different things there. LCMV is a virus. It's dangerous to people with compromised immune systems and can cause severe birth defects in unborn children.

Toxoplasmosis is a parasite commonly carried by cats. It can also cause birth defects, and it's the reason pregnant women should avoid litter boxes. Here is the CDC Factsheet on Toxoplasmosis. If you are a woman who owns cats and plans on getting pregnant, you should read it.

Hantavirus is a virus often carried by rodents. It has a history of causing fatalities in humans. It caused quite a few deaths in the American Southwest a few years ago, and was called "The Four Corners Disease". In fact, it's found in as much as 10% of wild rodents throughout the United States and elsewhere. Here is the CDC's Website on Hantavirus.

If you keep pets, you should know the differences between these diseases. Even though the chances are relatively low that you will exposed to any of them, there is a possibility. Each year, there are hundreds of cases of these and others like them here in the United States.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 06:23 PM

>> Even though the chances are relatively low that you will exposed to any of them <<

Yea, about the same as winning the State lottery.

This is a really old story discussed online, jeez, a year or more ago.

But if you are a pregnant female, and believe in extraordinarily horrible luck, either have your hamster (et al) tested, or find them a good temporary home until the pergnancy ends.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouave
>> Even though the chances are relatively low that you will exposed to any of them <<

Yea, about the same as winning the State lottery.

This is a really old story discussed online, jeez, a year or more ago.

But if you are a pregnant female, and believe in extraordinarily horrible luck, either have your hamster (et al) tested, or find them a good temporary home until the pergnancy ends.
Zouave, I'm puzzled by the dismissive tone of your post? Do you have a problem with people being aware of the riskes of zoonotics associated with pets? Especially with something as important as birth defects?

Since you seem to be an authority on statistics, exactly what ARE the odds the state lottery vs. infection by LCMV? I would assume that the odds of either are relatively small, ...but what IS significant, is the enormity of the risks. Ask a few pediatricians or obstreticians what THEIR opinion is of the risks.

I'm not a real smart guy, but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that if I don't win the lottery I'm just out a buck. If a woman has a child with birth defects (...that could have been prevented) that's a lifetime committment.

You act like this is old news, so it's no longer important. If you take the trouble to check back, the original discussion regarding LCMV was about it's risk and effect on immuno-compromised individuals.

The link I posted above (if you bothered to check it out) was a new site put up the week I posted it here, by the CDC. If you have a problem with my posting this or other warnings, why not take it up with Jade, the CDC or PM me. ...but don't just blow it off like you know what you're talking about
....when you don't.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 05:34 PM
RAT ADDICT

Thats interesting...I knew that pregnant women were at risk with litter boxes, but didn't know about the rodent thing.When I was pregnant I was always tending to my rodents!But there were no problems and my daughter is now 20 months old and very healthy.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
litter box, litter boxes