What do you prefer? - Page 4 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

View Poll Results: Which one!?
Rat 49 48.04%
Mouse 15 14.71%
Hamster 26 25.49%
Gerbil 12 11.76%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 01:49 PM

If I HAD to choose, I'd pick Hamsters, but I love all rodents. Hamsters are so funny, big and sweet(I'm not saying other rodents aren't). But I also have mice, but only because I don't have room for anything bigger(gerbils or rats)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 08:40 AM

For sure rats. All the rats I've had in the past have been so friendly and cute. Mice and hampsters would be inbetween then last gerbils. The only two gerbils I had ate each other when I was like 5. I haven't gotten over it.
post #48 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 01:19 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

I love rats the best, but love any rodent anyway. I have owned rats since I moved out on my own place when I was 18, I am 23 going on 24 this Nov.4th. Rats are in fact the best rodent I have owned so far...

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 04:38 AM
The Title Fairy Was Here

I Voted Mouse As They Are The Only Rodents I Have Had I Currently Have 2 Females And 1 Males The Male Is Separted Till He's Alot Older As Im Going To Breed Them And Keep Quite A Few Of Them Lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come see more of my fur babies at
post #50 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 11:14 AM

Hey Vanilla???

I see your avatar has your rats. Is there a name for that coloring? My nephew has a rat with that coloring, and I call it a siamese rat.
post #51 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttin510
I see your avatar has your rats. Is there a name for that coloring? My nephew has a rat with that coloring, and I call it a siamese rat.
Yep,thats two of my rats...Sprinkles and Twinkie.Sprinkles is a himalayan dumbo and Twinkie is a seal point siamese dumbo.You cannot really see much difference in that picture,but in person there is a difference.Himalayan rats have white bodies with dark points and siamese have cream bodies with dark points.The points on a siamese are generally darker then those of a himalayan too.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #52 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 08:51 PM

Ever since my first rat, I've loved them. I got Bailey when he was 3 weeks old. His mother had died, and he needed someone to take care of him. We bonded, and he became almost human. I miss the little guy. He survived surgery for a tumor (turned out to be benign) at age 1.5, and died of pnemonia less than a year later (I don't remember now exactly how old he was, it's been so long). At the time I didn't drive, so to get to the vets office, I had to ride the train about 10 minutes and then walk 20 min to the vets office. He died in my arms while I was walking from the train to the vet. I tried to get him there as fast as I could, but we jut couldn't make it.

I miss having rats. Right now I've got enough cages to clean with the degus and the chin, but I'd like to have rats again someday.
post #53 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
Yep,thats two of my rats...Sprinkles and Twinkie.Sprinkles is a himalayan dumbo and Twinkie is a seal point siamese dumbo.You cannot really see much difference in that picture,but in person there is a difference.Himalayan rats have white bodies with dark points and siamese have cream bodies with dark points.The points on a siamese are generally darker then those of a himalayan too.
Thanks, I thought it looked siamese or something like that. His is white with dark points. His actually has dark right at the base of its tail too. Is that typical of that breed?
post #54 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgimom
Ever since my first rat, I've loved them. I got Bailey when he was 3 weeks old. His mother had died, and he needed someone to take care of him. We bonded, and he became almost human. I miss the little guy. He survived surgery for a tumor (turned out to be benign) at age 1.5, and died of pnemonia less than a year later (I don't remember now exactly how old he was, it's been so long). At the time I didn't drive, so to get to the vets office, I had to ride the train about 10 minutes and then walk 20 min to the vets office. He died in my arms while I was walking from the train to the vet. I tried to get him there as fast as I could, but we jut couldn't make it.

I miss having rats. Right now I've got enough cages to clean with the degus and the chin, but I'd like to have rats again someday.
Ohhh, Corgi, that is just soooo sad. I'm sorry you had to go thru that.
I had to take my neice to humanely euthanize her poor little rat. She had a large growth under her front arm, and she was growing week. It was sooo sad to do that. My neice took it very hard.
My brother is a rat freak too. He has about three cages, of about a dozen, females, males, and the old.
post #55 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttin510
Thanks, I thought it looked siamese or something like that. His is white with dark points. His actually has dark right at the base of its tail too. Is that typical of that breed?
So he has a himalayan then!

Yep,thats also typical.They have a dark point on their nose and bum (base of tail) and some will even have them on their arms.And actually the siamese and himalayan are not a bred,but a variety.

* Lisa *

post #56 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

What an old thread.For some reason it popped up in my "user CP".

I still choose rats.Ratties are my love,my pride and joy!
I have 4 boys now and LOVE them.Just ordered some new hammocks for them tonight.

* Lisa *

post #57 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 08:11 PM

Yep its old

Matter of fact. Just yesterday, I took my nephew up to the vet to euthanize his poor rat that I mentioned above. She was just not well, suffering, loosing alot of weight. So she is gone now.
In the time that I posted the obe post, she had also got a sable spot on the back of her neck and arms I think.
My nephew cried, Quiet honestly I shed a tear too. Sad...
post #58 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 11:02 AM

Rats, no contest. I've been bitten by too many hamsters, hard time holding gerbils for long, and mice are just too tiny for me, i feel like ill crush them. Rats, never been bit, never had problems holding, never felt like im gunna crush em
post #59 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 12:43 AM

I would want to try a rat but my mom hates them, so no go. SO It's Hamsta time!

Last edited by _Roxy_; 03-02-2008 at 12:51 AM.
post #60 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 03:40 PM

Out of those options and based on my own experience with those species, I like rats best.

Tags
dwarf hamster, guinea pig, rat cage, teddy bear