what should i get? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question what should i get?

i have no idea what to get! i can save up for any cage of any size, so thats not a problem. any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Playful Pup

Haha that's a bit of a vague question! What are you looking for in a pet? That will help people narrow it down.

Personally, I'm a lover of Russian dwarf hamsters - both Campbells and Winter Whites. They are friendly, easy to tame (for me, at least!), cute balls of fluff! They come in a variety of colours, get along well with their own kind (particularly Campbells, and especially those that are well bred), and are rewarding little critters to own.

You can keep 1 or 2 Russian dwarf hamsters in a 20 US Gallon tank, nothing less than about 30 x 12 inches. They can also have bin cages or wire cages or wooden cages of this size. For 4 hamsters, you'd need about twice that size more or less. Try to avoid huge colonies, or groups of three, as fights are more likely to break out. Each hamster needs a 6.5" (or bigger) wheel and a place to sleep/hide. You also need at least one water bottle per 2 hamsters, and a food dish big enough for all of them to fit in - or you can scatter feed. They need Aspen wood shavings, not Pine or Cedar, or some other substrate; the deeper the substrate is, the better. Toilet paper can be given as nesting material. Aim to clean out the cage every one to two weeks. They need clean fresh water at least every two days, and Hazel Hamster is the best food for them.

That's pretty much everything, they're amazing pets and easy to keep when you know what you're doing They're not for everyone though, so you might be looking for something completely different!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

i actually already have a dwarf hamster! (: she is really sweet (: but i think im looking for some type of small mammal that will form a bond with me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i love my babies
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My dwarf
Minnie

My teddy/black bear
Pickles

My German Shepherd Dog, Reba

My Palomino horse, Buiscet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 12:58 AM
Playful Pup

Bond, you say?
I've heard Prairie Dogs form the best bonds possible.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 01:24 AM
Playful Pup

I've heard rats form close bonds with their owners, don't quote me on that though!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

rats make really strong bonds with their owners, but everyone in my house is saying that they dont want any rats in the house. so rats are out . what are prairie dogs personalities like?

i love my babies

My dwarf
Minnie

My teddy/black bear
Pickles

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 10:24 PM
Playful Pup

Well, they are very needy once they bond to you. It takes them awhile to warm up to you, but once they do they are bonded to you for the rest of their fuzzy little lives.

The only downside is, they only (USUALLY) bond to once person, so it isn't a "show and tell" type of pet.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

oh, well then i dont know if a prairie dog would be good then. also i have 2 dogs, and they would deffinetley try to get to it. so, for its own safety, it might be better not to get one. im thinking probably a gerbil...

i love my babies

My dwarf
Minnie

My teddy/black bear
Pickles

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 10:04 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover0987 View Post
oh, well then i dont know if a prairie dog would be good then. also i have 2 dogs, and they would deffinetley try to get to it. so, for its own safety, it might be better not to get one. im thinking probably a gerbil...
It's definitely not the best choice if you want a "family" pet.

Also, my dog LOVES my little girl- But I know for a fact that if I showed her to my other, he would try'n eat her, so I know where you are coming from on that part.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

im not exactly looking for a 'family' pet, just a pet that would form a bond with me unlike hamsters . i would have it in my room, and my dog reba goes in there a lot and sleeps with me in there. she is a german shepherd and loves to chase squirrels and little animals, so that wouldnt work out too well..

i love my babies

My dwarf
Minnie

My teddy/black bear
Pickles

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 10:27 PM
Newborn Pup

If you have the ability and time needed to spend with them ferrets can be lots of fun.....one of my neighbors is always taking his ferret for walks on warm days.

Cons:
They chew nearly everything
They have a noticeable odor

(Note to the moderators): Any chance you folks can delete all of DibeTizifehib's posts here? The spam is a little thick

Tags
pets