Wheel Peace.... - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

View Poll Results: What kind of wheel do you use for your small animal??
Plastic rung wheel. 3 10.00%
Metal rung or mesh wheel. 11 36.67%
Comfort Wheel. 6 20.00%
Silent Spinner. 2 6.67%
Wodent Wheel. 5 16.67%
Flying Saucer. 3 10.00%
Solid metal wheel from Quality Cage. 3 10.00%
Other: Please specify. 4 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 08:58 PM

I have 12 chinchilla cages, a rabbit cage and a hedgehog cage currently in my house...Rabbit doesn't need a wheel, he's got the huge 3 level cage
The hedgehogs have a comfort wheel...it rattles but no squeaking. If I shut my bedroom door at night, I don't have to listen to them running their little tootsies off in the dining room...
As for the chins...the only wheel I would get would be the flying saucer, but with currently 12 (not including Lizz's cage) and getting the melamine tomorrow to build 6 more, I just can't afford to buy flying saucers for everyone. Not to mention having to remove them whenever we have babies and the damage it would cause installing and uninstalling them. My chins tend to be happy enough without them and one chin starts furchewing whenever he has a wheel (Phil, the petstore guy) So for me, as it stands, only the hedgie has a wheel and it's not enough noise to bother anyone (although the dogs' ears get a lot of excersize listening to the hedgie wheel go round all night )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 12:53 PM

i use a metle rung wheel for my gerbils!!!!! it's silent and they love to use it!!!!!!!!!
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 02:27 PM

Be careful with the metal rung one! it can catch a gerbils' tail. You can make it safe by covering it with tape and then rolling some bedding on the tape so theia paws don't stick to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario&amanda
i use a metle rung wheel for my gerbils!!!!! it's silent and they love to use it!!!!!!!!!
I never had any problems with the metal rung wheels except for the dust they stirred up and the screeeeeech they made - It did take them a couple of years to strat squeaking so badly - I could see then the reason - The spoke going through the center was half way cut through from the continuous rubbing as the wheel went around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfoot
Be careful with the metal rung one! it can catch a gerbils' tail.
The metal rung wheels really don't have aplace small enough for the gerbils tail to get caught. The spaces are about 7/8 to 1/2 inch and the gerbils tail is about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick - BUT the plastic wheels that they are modeled after do have spaces small enough to jam a tail. We did use the metal rung wheels for more than 4 years without ever incurring an injury from them. I do believe though that they are pretty uncomfortable for the feet - the solid ones look much more comfy to run on.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 07:59 PM

I have crittertrail so I use the comfort wheels. They are quiet. Occasionally I have to put veggie oil on them. I also use those quiet Habitrail Safari wheels also. Mice have the mesh and the metal rung wheels. Fixed of course so they won't hurt their feet or hurt their tails. Look at cage setups to see my wheels.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 05:33 PM
Newborn Pup

I had a plastic one that attached to the side of the cage for my degu to start with as it came with them from the petshop but they kept chewing on it, so I was told by another degu owner to try a flying saucer wheel (still plastic but cheap) So far no bitting but it now moves around the cage and hits the edge which makes lots of noise.

If anyone has any Ideas how to stop this I really cant afford to buy any more wheels and the noise is driving everyone else in the house mad???????
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Part of the Pack

i don't know but if you figure it out let me know~!

thunder, Thunder, THUNDERRATS HOOOOOO~!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 01:41 AM
Newborn Pup

The solution I found was to stick a block in the base of the wheel and then use double side tape to stick this to the base of the cage. This would hold for a few days, then I would just restick it when they were out of the cage. However I managed to get some no bite spray and put the old upright wheel back in.

Tags
animal lover, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, level cage, local pet store, pet shop, pet store, rabbit cage, wire cage, wire cages, wire mesh