wild rodents adopted(some questions) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

wild rodents adopted(some questions)

hello,
about 2 months ago i accidentally damaged a dormouse s nest with 3 little cubs in it.i wanted to try to repair it and put them back but i remembered that many animals refuse to take care of their babies if they sense foreign smell, so i adopted them with the intention to release them in the same spot in spring. i built them a large terrarium and until a week ago everything was great for them.but by taking them home i think i disturbed their natural habbits, i mean in the wild they were supposed to hibernate, but here they are active every night, and the last few days one of them(a male) became agressive mostly with the other male but also with the female. at first i isolated the agressive one in another terrarium, but then i read that they become territorial at a certain age and i thought i must leave things the nature meant them to be(after all he shouldn t be "punished" for doing something he must do in the wild).i let him back with the others which were getting along good meanwhile.he became agressive with the other male imediately and today i saw him trying to copulate with the female......and now follows a set of questions.
having the same parents is it ok for them to breed?did the lack of hibernation made them sexually active earlier?(i read that they normally breed in may,june)
should i separate them?which from which?
if they do breed after all will the conditions they have now be ok for the cubs,must the mother be separated and ofered special conditions for nesting?
can they be reintroduced with no problems in spring , will they know what to do next autumn(prepare for hibernation)?
any of these questions answered is a great help for me, and surely i ll have more.thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 10:52 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Which country are you from? I'm not sure if its legal to keep wild dormice without a license? You might want to contact your local authority to find out.

Its not a good idea to let them breed if they are related as it could produce offspring which have abnormalities and health problems. Dormice tend to live alone or pair up hence the fighting you witnessed between the two males so it might be worthwhile looking at seperating them. Maybe do some research online on how they work socially and what habitat suits them best and also have a look up local wildlife rescues as they may be able to assist you with what to do as they will be experienced in caring for them and have hints and tips

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 10:53 AM
RAT ADDICT

Hey! Where did my post go? I replied to this yesterday!!!!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 04:04 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat View Post
Hey! Where did my post go? I replied to this yesterday!!!!
Yours is in the regular rat/mouse forum. This thread was posted twice.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 09:42 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmaughan View Post
Yours is in the regular rat/mouse forum. This thread was posted twice.
I firgured that after I posted here.I then seen the same thread in the rat/mouse section.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *