You know what I don't get? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
General Rodent Chat Information regarding all rodents or any rodents without their own category.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

You know what I don't get?

My dad doesn't like having pets in the house; it's alright with him if they're outside. (ex. my dog and cat, my only 2 pets). What he doesn't like, though, is if there is a domesticated animal in the house. How freaky is that?!?!?!
My mom doesn't mind having small pets in the house (rodents, etc, just not dogs or cats) except for rats. She says that she'd get me a hamster, but not a rat. What's up with that?!?!?

Do you guys have parents like this? or people you know like this? Have an opinion or ways I could convince one stubborn dad (whose parents grew up rasing animals for food; ex, raising several hundred rabbits and selling them for their fur, or raising chickens to sell the chickens and eggs.) and a mom opposed to rats that small rodents, especially rats, are okay in the house?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Will It Ever Change?

oh hun, sometimes parents are just parents. but my fiancee used to HATE rats, it took me 3 years to wear him down. now i have one and he likes it. all i did to get him to say yes was a lot of research and education. learn about them inside out, then teach it to him. it'll take lots of time, but then, in time, he'll see.

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 07:50 PM
RAT ADDICT

Take your mom to a rat breeder or rescue,or even a pet store and let her see the rats.Show her they are friendly animals and clean.They are also highly intelligant.

However some parents won't change.
I have changed people's minds with my babies!!
Some people are harder to get then others tho.Some are set in their beliefs.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Since they require smaller housing, would a few female mice be a good idea to introduce my parents into rodents (I don't mean just keep them for a while and get rid of them, I mean let me keep them as a pet and see how I fare with taking care of an animal of my own)?
I've heard that mice can be a bit more bitey (sp? means that they bite more), is this true?

Give me some opinions please
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Also, I think that, at least in short term (meaning 4 years to 6 years), having mice might be more "convenient" for me, because the housing and such is a bit easier and less demanding on space (if I got about 4-5 mice) and it can give me a chance to learn to be more responsible.
What do you think? I know that you should interact with your mice every day just like a rat, but overall, is a mouse slightly less or more demanding (both with space, time, and money, etc.) than a rat?
Do you think that it would be easier to get a parent to think that a rat or a mouse was cute and that they like them and aren't afraid of them (for w/e reason)? Hopefully that question wasn't too confusing! lol

Last edited by Oboe; 05-03-2008 at 10:12 PM.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

(Man, I would edit the previous post to add this, but I don't have the option to o well)

But, I do know that I will have to wait at least 3 months before I decide if I'm able to or not. I'm auditioning for the fine arts boarding high school, Interlochen, but idk if I'll make it, being a late audition. If I do, then I'll hold off on getting those rats/mice, because I want to be able to give my pets all the attention they need, all the time. Can't do that if I'm in Michigan for most of the school year! If I don't make it, then I will probably get them around when school starts (this is all if my mom allows a science fair project that involves training female mice, because I don't know how their intelligence compares to that of a rat. I know what rats can be trained to do, but not mice, so I'll see. If my mom lets me go on with that project, then I intend on keeping them as pets.)
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 06:20 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

I have changed peoples minds about rats too. People have seen me with rat care books and said 'eww, how can you like rats??!!' And I just tell them some stuff about them and they go, 'Really, I never new that!'

My best friend has a phobia of rats, once she came around my house and she actually stroked one! I was so amazed and proud of her! My other friend also thought rats were dirty, but I managed to convince her that they were not and sent her some piccies I found on the internet where you could not see the tail and she thought they were cute! The funny thing was that without realising it, when I showed her a piccy of rats with tails visible she automatically said the rat was ugly, but when the tail was not visible she said it was cute and she didn't even realise she was doing it haha.

It will take a bit of convincing as I say, I would recommend you to learn all the facts you possibily can, all the info and show your parents how serious you are about them!
You could say that you will keep them in your room and they wont have to see them, tell them they wont smell or keep them up at night and they will probably forget you even have them after a while!
I've even known some parents to agree to these surcumstances and then decide to actually take a look at the rats and fall head over heals in love with them because the rat has either fallen asleep in their lap or give them little rattie kisses!
Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10

Last edited by laydeerodentzz; 05-04-2008 at 06:26 AM.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 06:36 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Your only 14... Maybe your parents have a very good reason for not allowing you to get pets

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

I already have a dog and a cat and assume most of the responsibility for them (except for the obvious vet check-ups and food, 'cause I'm too young to get a job).
And, in general everywhere, I'm pretty responsible, especially for my age. When teachers need my brother to do an assignment that he didn't turn in, they tell him, and they tell me, and they also give me papers to give to him if he missed class for w/e reason.
Being involved in music every day, I practice a lot and work hard and do well.

My dad claims to like animals, but the dog wasn't his decision; it was his dad's decision to get us a pet. And I can acknowledge that if I were getting rats, that money would be an issue. hence, the mouse idea. My mom thinks hamsters are cute, but not mice and rats.

And if you have suggestions for reasons for my dad not wanting me to get pets, please, share them.
I asked my dad why I can't have a small pet (even if it were a hamster, gerbil, or mouse), and he just said, "because I don't want a wild animal in the house." Sorry, but to me, that's not a reason, that's an excuse.

And, another little tidbit, I also get nagged by my mom when I look at pet forums. "You and rats" she will say. My BFF nags me too, 'cause she considers it "abnormal" because she's never had a pet and she's a bit older than me.

Last edited by Oboe; 05-04-2008 at 07:53 AM.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 08:21 AM
RAT ADDICT

It is not abnormal to have a pet just because it is not a dog,cat or fish! I have had an ex who said I was acting like a kid with all of my pet mice and rats! He said that only children could be normal and have pet rodents!

There is always someone who will disagree with you or think you are weird.People think I am crazy because I have mice and rats and I am always promoting rats and educating people and it is like a never ending battle! Fortunatly I have changed some people's minds by taking my rats out to parks and things and once people meet a rat they see how cute and friendly and "dog-like" the rats are.But then you have the people who will never change their mind.

I have a hamster,rats and mice and while they are all cute,the hamster is the least fun.He sleeps ALL day and can be grumpy at times (altho he has NEVER bitten me) and well in the nights he rather run in his ball or wheel.He will stay with me for abit,but he is not affectionate like the rats.

My mom let me get a pair of mice back in 1997 (I wanted a guinea pig,but she wanted me to have something smaller...so I got mice) and well thats what started it.Then one day (2001) there was a woman in the park selling pet rats.I bought one for $5 and the woman gave me a second for free.So I went home,with two rats and my mom didn't know at first.She wasn't too mad tho.But then again my mom has always been an animal lover.

Now as for your mouse questions,I answered them in your PM...so I don't wanna repeat myself.But I say it would be easier to start with mice.They are not as demanding as rats.Plus rats need larger cages and their vet care can be alot more expensive then mice.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

What Lisa said is very good! I agree and well I have had one secret pet from my mum to, however I released it back to the garden the same night because it's poo stank! I know it sounds really irrisponsible and my mum still does not know about it today, but some birds were attacking a hedgehog and I rescued it without realising the consiquences and not knowing that you can actually get ringworm from it, which luckily I didnt. It was sweet at first, I gave it some milk and it snuggled up into a ball and went to sleep, but I soon saw that a house was no place for a wild animal, so I released it into my garden and it was gone the next morning, I had to use a whole bottle of body spray to get the smell of hedgehog poo out of my room and carpet. Anyway my point is that I learnt my lesson and now I have 5 healthy happy pets living under my care and I feel privileged, it was well worth the wait.
I have been blessed with my hammie! He has never bitten anyone, well appart from my best friend, but she was really REALLY annoying him and in a way I was glad that he bit her and taught her a lesson even though that sounds really cruel (I did warn her though). I do have 4 rats currently and must admit that it is a very big responsibility. Starting with mice is a good idea, however, if you want to prove to your mum and dad that rodents are nice it might not work purly for the fact that mice are more likly to bite than rats.
Good luck!
x

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10

Last edited by laydeerodentzz; 05-04-2008 at 10:15 AM.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 10:59 AM

About the hedgie thing:
You should never give a hedgie milk. It will kill them!

Obie:
You are 14. And you have a dog and a cat. You have your school and your music. You are a teenager, and in one or two years, everything can (and will) look very different for you. So I think it's quite responsible of your parents not just to let you have a new pet.
And no matter what you say, the pet is 100 your parents responsibility until you turn 18.

Just take it easy. Wait a couple of years, to that "boy" period is over (if your not in it yet, it will come very soon)...
Eaven though you think you have all the time in the world, your life is going to change big time because of hormornal things...

Be glad that your parents won't let you have new animals, eaven though their reasons seam stupid. Just look at all the small animals at the shelters. I bet most of them are from kids your age, or bit older, where the parents just let them have what ever animal they would, and a year or two later, they lost interest...

This has nothing to do with how responsible you are (and to be honest, I don't care how responsible you are, or you think you are). Fact is that you are a teenager.
And if you really want an other animal, then you won't have a problem wating for it...

I got my first chinnie in 1997, I was 11 then. I got my next in 2002... The others I got a couple of years later. I'm SO happy I didn't get a lot of animals back then, because a lot of things did happen. And I'm one of those types who didn't really have any friends, and still I wouldn't have had time for more that those two the first couple of years....

And don't EVER get a secret pet!

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

I asked my mom her opinion about mice, and she said she's fine with it. One down, 2 knuckle heads to go.

It's [email protected] Dad that needs convincing. He doesn't take care of the dog, or the cat, and I wouldn't want him to take care of mice. Nana doesn't even have to see them or be near them; they'd be kept in my bedroom where I have to deal with them. They're alright if pets are outside, but not inside. If the animal and its cage are kept clean and it doesn't smell, and I clean up after it, what's the big deal? I mean, seriously.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 10:49 PM

One of the things with having animals is being able to think of others, and how they feel about the animals...

I think your mom and dad needs to talk. It's very unfair of your mom to say it's okay and not talk to your dad about it, before talking to you...

Try reading my other post, and think about it...
It sounds like you just want a lot of animals because you want to be "special" or something like that.
Be glad that you have a dog and a cat!
And as I said, if you really want some othe pets, they are worth waiting for.
But it dosen't eaven seam like you know what kind of pet you would really want.
It sounds like you are going to settle for a pet you don't really want, and I don't get this... If you want a specific pet, then you should get that pet, not settle for anything else (ad long as the pet you want isen't illegal).
IMO you sound like a typical teenager, who just want's a lot of things, to look different, and you do not sound like you are thinking about what you actually want...

I know you are going to be mad at me now... But this is how I reed your posts... (AND I have a lot of family your age, and they act exactly the same way as you do...)

/Pia

Breeding since 2005

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

Not mad at you, just annoyed, but I'll take it and go on.

My mom and I have tried to get my dad to talk, but he doesn't want to talk.
I don't just want a lot of things, I actually know that I want pet mice. And, it's too late for me to be different

Tags
animal lover, female mice, guinea pig, male mice, mature, pet mice, pet rats, pet shop, pet store, vet care, wild animal