Cant control bladder... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Pet Health Concerns Post here if you are in need of a response regarding a pet health question. Medical advice cannot be given, only previous personal experience. (Archived since 5-20-08)
NOTE: THE INFORMATION ON THIS BOARD CAN NEVER BE SUBSTITUTED FOR THE CARE OF A VET. If your pet is ill, call a veterinarian immediately, do not post in this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Cant control bladder...

Before i tell anything about this, my first request is not to tell me "take him to the vet", cause i know he needs to go, i just cant afford the care it cost on the weekends... my cat tobbie is diabetic, i think this is part of the problem... or maybe hes just old... hes always been REALLY good about using the cat box, ever since he was a kitten... when he started having problems was right before he was diagnosed... then he did well afterwards.. but ive noticed that he just cant seem to hold it... hes not peeing like he has a urinary tract infection, i think he just cant keep control of his bladder, for example, i was downstairs, washing clothes.. i turn around and theres pee on the floor but tobbie is in the cat box, thinking hes using it.. do you get what i mean? i dont know if he realizes that whatever hes doin to hold it in isnt working, or if he just phsically hold it in but tries his best anyway...
Now, like, i said, i know he needs to go to the vet, BUT does anyone have any idea as to what it could actually be? the diabetes or old age or something.... i know some people here are vet techs, maybe they've seen it.... i just wanna know what it could possibly be so i'll have an idea of what they'll have to do to help him
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

It could be several things, from a UTI to very serious complications from his diabetes where things are out of balance. You said you don't want to hear take him to the vet, but that's what I'm going to tell you regardless.

If he's constantly in and out of the litterbox, check behind him and make sure he's urinating a normal amount. If it's just drops or none at all, that could be life threatening.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Trust me, its not just drops (when he doesnt make it to the litterbox, the floor gets wet) ands hes not constantly in and out.. its the same ways he's always been, very normal... like i said, hes had a UTI before, so i know what the symptoms are.. he doesnt have any symptoms at all... he just doesnt seem to have the control he needs to get all the way downstairs to the litterbox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 12:19 PM

do you only have the one litterbox?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

no, we have 4 litterboxes, but they're all downstairs in the same room
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 02:36 PM

maybe you could try putting one upstairs also if he seems to be having problems making it downstairs
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 04:11 PM

One of my first dogs was like that. It could be sinility, meaning your cat is reverting back to kitten ways.

If you suspect it is diabetes or a kidney problem, and he is lethargic, I would suggest you give him childrens non flavor piadalite mixed in w/his water, because with him peeing alot he will get dyhydrated easily, and that will help restore his electrolites and make him feel a bit better physically, but it won't stop him from peing everywhere though.

But if he is old he is probably just going senile and he can't really help it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 04:12 PM

He could also be losing his eyesight too, I had a dog like this, she was so old and going blind that she didn't realize where she was going.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

See, i think its just him getting old too.. cause other than the peeing thing, hes fine.. hes eatting normally (hes on a schedule so i know how much he eats), drinking, not lethargic... and he still gets around fine, so im pretty sure its not his eyesight
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 10:44 PM

if it is old age it could just be from losing sensation and/or ability to hold it. My bf's great pyrennes has started having accidents a lot lately and he said that sometimes bear doesn't even act like he knows he went. It happens a lot with older animals.
I would try spreading the litter boxes throughout the house so that he doesn't have to go as far to get to one when he gets the sudden urge to go. It could just be that he doesn't realize he has to go until it's too late or maybe he just can't hold it once he does realize it.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 12:44 AM

my dog is going thru the same problem and is diagonsed as diabetic and is loosing eyesight too. but ever since we got her on the insulin injections the urinating problem has gone........
I dont think this is gonna go away....u will atleast need to consult the vet and act accordingly !!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 10:07 PM

Sometimes, in cases of diabetes, blood sugar can drop, when it does it can lead to feelings of confusion and other symptoms like lethargy, aches and pains, etc. Sometimes too, too much can spill over into the urine. I don't know if your vet showed you how to check for sugar levels but hypoglycemia might be the problem. If not, then something called Cell Advance is used when there's mental confusion just do to old age. Dr. W. O. Belfield, DVM says vitamins A, C and E help to keep the mind sharp so maybe a multivitamin or extra of these vitamins could help. I read somewhere where the lack of Silicea in the brain can also lead to symptoms of confusion and forgetfulness. You can get Silicea 6x as a homeopathic from a health food store. 3-5 of the little pellets dissolved in about 1/4 tsp of water and given with an eyedropper once or twice a day .The interesting thing about diabetes is that the pancreas manufactures insulin and it can again if allowed to do so by supplements that support the pancreas, otherwise, the pancreas gets weak because it doesn't have to supply the insulin, it's already supplied as an insulin shot.The pancreas has to be retaught how to start manufacturing insulin again, otherwise the pets in on insulin shots for the rest of its life and that's not without problems because there can be insulin reactions.

http://www.vetriscience.com/cell-advance.php

Tags
health food store, litter box, litter boxes, urinary tract infection, vet tech