Emergency please help!!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Pet Health Concerns Post here if you are in need of a response regarding a pet health question. Medical advice cannot be given, only previous personal experience. (Archived since 5-20-08)
NOTE: THE INFORMATION ON THIS BOARD CAN NEVER BE SUBSTITUTED FOR THE CARE OF A VET. If your pet is ill, call a veterinarian immediately, do not post in this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Emergency please help!!!!

I noticed this afternoon that my hamster Luna's stomach is very bloated. She looks like shes pregnant!! She cant be because I do not own any male hamsters and she has never been in contact with a male hamster. She also seems to be in pain. I also notice that around her bottom area it was yellow. I dont know what to do!!! please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 09:20 PM
can't think of one, help

oh dear, I can;'t really help you but I home she gets better
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 01:45 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

How is she? She might need to see a vet ASAP. Maybe she ate something she wasn't suppose to eat

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Shes been hoarding food like crazy. She "Waddles" when she walks. I think she might have wet tail. If she does, shes a very sick hamster. I just dont know what to do!!!! I picked her up and her stomach was very bloated. She walked up my arm too I just dont know what to make of it!!! First my blackbear hamster's leg swells up, now luna might
have wet tail. I cant get anybody in my family to take either hamster to a vet everyone thinks im crazy for wanting to bring my hamsters to a vet. Ive been crying my eyes out all night and praying that Luna gets better.
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Will It Ever Change?

awww hun *hugs* best wishes, im sure everything will come out okay

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 11:22 AM
is a little "special"

When my Snickers had a bladder or kidney infection (I forgot wich one) she got very bloated and waddled. My mom thought she was just a chubby old hamster and didnt take her to the vet. She died on Christmas Eve. It kinda sounds like what Luna has, and have you noticed any blood in the cage? They pee blood when they have a bladder/kidney infection.
Quote:
Hamsterific.com- BLADDER OR KIDNEY INFECTION One of the first signs is exvessive drinking, wich in turn creates increased urinating. Occasionally there is blood in the urine and the hamster may squeal while urinating. Immediate vet assistance ifs reauired.
Is she doing any of that?
Quote:
Hamsterland.com-

Wet Tail:

Wet Tail is a bacterial infection or an imbalance of the natural bacteria in the hamster's stomach or intestine and is often confused with diarrhoea. Although a hamster with Wet Tail has diarrhoea, the diarrhoea is so severe that the hamster is wet and/or dirty not only around the anus but usually around the top of the tail as well. The diarrhoea is accompanied by a strong unpleasant smell. Droppings are pale in colour and extremely soft and may contain mucus. The hamster often walks hunched up, is weak and lethargic and may squeal in pain. Symptoms take 7 days to appear and the disease is often fatal with death occurring as early as 24 hours after the appearance of the symptoms. Therefore it is vital that veterinary treatment is sought immediately if a hamster shows symptoms of Wet Tail. Do not comletely rely on over-the-counter products such as Dry-Tail to treat Wet Tail as these are often not effective against severe cases of Wet Tail. These should only be used if it is not possible to get the hamster to a vet immediately and veterinary advice should still be sought at the earliest opportunity, but do ensure if you have used any over-the-counter product that you inform your vet when you visit.
Any equipment occupied or used by a hamster that has died from Wet Tail should be disinfected thoroughly with a disinfectant designed for small animal cages and left to stand for a few weeks before being used by another hamster.
You said you think she might have wet tail, so here are the symptoms ^^^^^

Can you use your own $ to bring her to a vet? If not, maybe you can buy antibiotics at the petstore? I hope she gets better, and I understand about the vet stuff cuz my parents dont like taking small animals to vets either. Good luck, and shes in my prayers! *hugs!*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

no i havent noticed any blood in the cage. But I have noticed that I dont see any droppings in her cage. This makes me think she is constipated or has a blockage Im gonna give her fruits and stuff to see if that helps
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Thank god luna hasnt been showing any of those symptoms If she's pregnant, im in big trouble. Then that means sable is a BOY!!! I checked sable the day I got her and she didnt have any, how should I say this? "testicles". So she cant be pregnant. Oh im so frustrated I dont know what to do thank u for praying for luna

Last edited by tb2000; 09-01-2007 at 12:48 PM.
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 12:59 PM
is a little "special"

Sometimes it can be hard to find, umm, "boy parts" on male dwarfs. (Im assuming you have dwarfs cuz you said 2 are being kept together, correct me if Im wrong tho.). Here is an easier way to tell dwarf hammies sexes: Look in the midde of their tummy and if its a male, you will see what looks like a very crusty belly button. This is acually a scent gland. From what Ive seen, only males have it, but Im not 100% sure. Ill see what I can find on blockages and constipation... Try giving her some raisens, that should help if shes constipated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 01:04 PM
is a little "special"

Hey, I think that your hammie may just be constipated- read this!

Quote:
petwebsite.com- Constipation usually occurs due to a lack of water, stomach blockage or eating too much dry pelleted food.

The symptoms of constipation are a lack of droppings, or a reduced amount of droppings, in the cage. Any droppings that are present may be small and hard. The hamster may also be seen to be having difficulty in passing faeces or may walk 'hunched up' as if in pain. Other symptoms may include loss of appetite and some wetness around the anus.

If the hamster has constipation ensure water is available and feed some fruit and vegetable. Feeding a drop of vegetable oil may also help to relieve the constipation. If the hamster is not making recovery by the following day it is best to take the hamster to a vet who can give some medication to relieve the constipation.

Once treated by the vet the hamster should recovery within a few days.
Id say it sounds just like her, with her wet butt and all. What do ya think?

post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

im extremeeeemmmeeeely happy to report that Since ive been giving luna apples and other fruits, her stomach looks a little less bloated this morning, so she IS constipated after all at keast its treatable. My mother cleaned out her cage for me last week, and since I saw no "poopies" in her cage, she hasnt gone to the bathroom in a WEEK. That would explain her stomach being so bloated. And I do not own dwarfs I have syrians. They have been separated since early july and each has her own cage Im just so happy that its just a minor problem and not something serious From now on I have to feed my hammies fruits more often so this doesnt happen again
post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much guys for all the advice and support. I was really worried about luna. She is just like my hamster coco, who passed away a few months ago. Ive been crying my eyes out for the passed few nights because I was so scared she had wet tail or an intestinal blockage that would most likely lead to her death. I thought I was going to lose her but im going to keep an eye on her for the next three days to make sure the bloating goes down. And feed her more of the yummy apples she gobbles down
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Will It Ever Change?

awww glad things are working out *hugs*

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I just have to keep an eye on her
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 02:37 PM
is a little "special"

Yay! Im glad shes OK!!

Tags
bear hamster, black bear, black bear hamster, black bears, dwarf hammies, hermit crab, hermit crabs, pet owner, pet store, pet stores, romaine lettuce, teddy bear, teddy bear hamster, vet care, vet visit, wet tail