Im very worried about my puppy pls help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Pet Health Concerns Post here if you are in need of a response regarding a pet health question. Medical advice cannot be given, only previous personal experience. (Archived since 5-20-08)
NOTE: THE INFORMATION ON THIS BOARD CAN NEVER BE SUBSTITUTED FOR THE CARE OF A VET. If your pet is ill, call a veterinarian immediately, do not post in this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Hi,

very new to this and sorry for asking for help on my first post but I will explain my situation

I am 22 and I have recently fostered two puppies from a resuce center in spain.

My spanish is not great and the guy who runs the centre wasnt there so I had to try my best to speak to the spanish lady regarding the puppy i offered to foster.

The puppy is a cross breed dalmataion (thats what it looks like) and I was told about 4-5 weeks old.

as i was leaving the centre a lady came into the centre with a (7-8 week )puppy in her hand (speaking in spanish) that she dcouldnt keep him anymore the other woman looked at me and I said yes i would foster him too (although the centre is good for what it does I couldnt handle seeing a puppy going into the centre that i could save) so i took both home with me. this is the first time I have fostered.

i have had them for nearly about 10 days now and everything has been going fine. I went to the vets about 5 days ago and got them flea stuff and worm stuff which I was told by vet i could give to the puppies so I know that is no problem

However yesterday the baby started coughing not alot but i thought maybe he had a furball however he has carried on today also which I was going to take him to the vets in the morning (its 3am where i am at the minute) however I work night shifts and am at work at the moment. my flat mate is at home and has told me that the baby has very watery diarohea im very concerned as I was told that a few weeks ago the rescue centre had an outbreak of parvo.

however i have been looking at sites about this and he is not lathargiv or loss of appetite at all! anything but lathargic they have both settled in great and seem very content and been playing together with me all day.

I should also mention i unfortunatley had to change the dry puppy food brand as the spanish shop had sold out of the one i had originally bought them. however i am worried again as I didn't realise that at 4-5 weeks you shouldn't be giving them dry food only. (all i have done tonight is look up stuff on internet)

I am taking the puppy straight to the vets at 8am when i finish work but can anyone give me some advice as to what i can get my flat mate to do now to check he is ok. I am so scared I have done something wrong. any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 10:11 PM

Could be kennel cough, if it is it will probably make its rounds through all your dogs, its kind of like a common cold for dogs, but that horrible type of coughing they do is scary. Does the dog have a fever? Thats the first thing the vet always seems to ask. If there is no fever and hes eating and drinking it probably is not serious probably kennel cough or maybe an allergy. I have owned dogs all my life but am by no means an expert so dont take my word I just wanted to tell you my opinion. I hope your dog gets better. Bless you for helping those dogs. Dogs are so wonderful, they are so affectionate and appreciative all the while expecting nothing in return, a little love and food thats all. I cant even go to the shelter any more, it breaks my heart
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 10:04 AM

with the rescue and it has a out break of parvo that is a scarey thing, I think you better get your puppy to the vet right a way, but at the rescue do they give them shots before they let them go with someone. Parve is very contagious and if the place had it well it could be that the puppy has it. coughing and diareah is a symptom, and blood in the feces, it has a strong odor. My aussie puppy died of parvo and I always tell people get your puppy shots because it is heartbreaking I know I hope it is just kennel cough and the change of the food too could also cause diareah.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Hi,

Just wanted to thank you for your posts and update you on what happened. I haven't been able to get to a pc for a while hence the delay. I took my pups to the vets and it turned out it was just a mild kennel cough he gave me some antibiotics (amoxycillin) i think i cant be too sure of correct name as it is in spanish and my spanish isnt too good. The vets checked both of them out and said that they were going to be fine I had to give them thier medicine then again 12 hours later. Then again in 10 days then take them back to get thier injections as hecouldnt give them then as they had this cough.

Thanks again

Kelly
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 03:15 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

Glad to hear everything has turned out all right and your puppies are on the road to recovery>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.

Tags
dry food, kennel cough, puppy food