Please Please Help! Urgent!!!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Pet Health Concerns Post here if you are in need of a response regarding a pet health question. Medical advice cannot be given, only previous personal experience. (Archived since 5-20-08)
NOTE: THE INFORMATION ON THIS BOARD CAN NEVER BE SUBSTITUTED FOR THE CARE OF A VET. If your pet is ill, call a veterinarian immediately, do not post in this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Please Please Help! Urgent!!!!!

I just got back from vaction. ive been gone for 2 weeks. I left my rat with a friend. when i got back and picked her up today my friend said my rat was doing fine. but all she does now i have her at home is lay in her rat hammock and stare. She snezzes every now and again and then tiny blood drops fill her nose. PLEASE HELP I AM WORRIED WHAT IS THIS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 07:23 PM
I Dream of Godzilla

I suggest that you take the fella to a vet just to make sure, as inactivity is usually a bad sign. Sneezing may either be caused by an infection or a respiratory related problem. keep us posted

A proud "DAD" to:

A very sweet/loving and affectionate female iguana named LIZ

4 unnamed 12 yrs old turtles...

A Sweet Bassett hound - Labrador mix puppy named Ringo

Lizard owners are SWEET LOVERS...
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 08:45 PM

Sounds like she needs a vet right away
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 09:12 PM
Part of the Pack

Respiratory problems in rats is nothing to mess with. Mine died very quickly.

Cowgirls are like barbwire, handle with care.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 09:29 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Yes, she needs to see a vet asap as small animals go downhill very quickly. It sounds like some kind of respiratory infection which if caught early enough she will make a full recovery from. I'd keep her warm and make sure she is hydrated by feeding her drops of water if you have too as thats the biggest problem with small animals when ill they dehydrate quickly and then go see a vet asap! Please keep us posted

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the advice. I took my rattie to a vet and they gave her sulfatrimethoprim pediatric lq (that's what it says on the bottle) she has to take it twice a day for a week.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 09:05 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thats good news, i hope she makes a fast recovery

Kirsty

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 07:15 PM
I Dream of Godzilla

nice to hear

A proud "DAD" to:

A very sweet/loving and affectionate female iguana named LIZ

4 unnamed 12 yrs old turtles...

A Sweet Bassett hound - Labrador mix puppy named Ringo

Lizard owners are SWEET LOVERS...
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

She is improving a lot but just today I felt a small lump under her fur on her side where all the fat is. (She's not fat but you know what I mean I think) I am worried. She is only a year old. What could this be!?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 05:09 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Could be a fatty lump or a small cancerous growth as rats are prone to these sadly, i'd get her checked out at a vets asap as they will be able to say either way and if neccessary they'll remove it if they can. She's still pretty young so should be removable, i've had to have a lump removed from a rat before and she made a fast recovery was back to her old self in days. The best thing is for a vet to take a look as they can suss it out properly for you and put your mind at ease. Goodluck and keep us informed

Kirsty

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 04:05 PM

Vet!

Adrena-lynn you should take him/her to a vet! they will tell you
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

I took her too a vet, turns out she has lots of small tumors in a big clump under her skin. She is getting it removed tomorrow, but the vet says there's no garantee it won't come back. I am so worried!!!! And upset!!!!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 08:51 PM

Oh I hope it works out
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 11:16 PM

Oh, I'm so sorry! That must be a horrible experience for you! I had two hamsters who both died from long cancer. I wish I could help you. Keep us informed please!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 09:30 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaaawwwww i'm so sorry I've had to go through it with a ratty and thankfully it didn't come back, its unfortunate that rats are prone to these things but the love they give us back whatever they go through makes the pain worthwhile, I will keep you and your ratty in my thoughts

Goodluck and keep us posted

Kirsty

Tags
doing fine, respiratory infection