Sick elderly cat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Pet Health Concerns Post here if you are in need of a response regarding a pet health question. Medical advice cannot be given, only previous personal experience. (Archived since 5-20-08)
NOTE: THE INFORMATION ON THIS BOARD CAN NEVER BE SUBSTITUTED FOR THE CARE OF A VET. If your pet is ill, call a veterinarian immediately, do not post in this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Sick elderly cat

undefinedI have a 13 yrs old female cat, Spunky, who id barely eating and getting weak. She is drinking water and urinating but eat very little solid food. I should add that about 3 months ago I had my 15 yrs old male put down cause his kidney's failed him so I am afraid the dame is happening with her. I realize she needs to see a vet but I thought I might find some info on how to care for her until I can get her to one. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 01:22 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You can try to tempt her with some wet, low protein cat food in the meantime. The more fluids you get into her, the better. But honestly if she's THAT weak, I'd take her in as soon as you can possibly do so.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 01:24 PM

She may be drinking some water but I bet she is getting dehydrated if she is getting weak. Please don't delay....she really needs to see a vet today. By the time cats get to this phase, something usually is very wrong. Good luck and take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 02:39 AM
MAM

She needs a vet visit a full work up including extensive bloodwork. Have them check liver and kidney functions, thyroid, her liver enzymes could be elevated, she could be retaining fluid, even though you say she is using the litter pan. Does she pee frequently in small amounts? Is she straining at all? Blood in her urine? I would also get some pedialyte down her if you can. You can use a feeding syringe, but don't force it quickly down her throat. If you can't find any at the store or drug store you can make your own

1 cup boiled water- cooled
pinch of salt
pinch of baking soda
1 tsp sugar.

Boil the water, remove from heat. Add the ingredients and stir well. Cool before giving to your cat.

Tags
cat food, litter pan, male cat, vet visit