Sinus Wheezing in cockatoo, Atibiotic Question? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Pet Health Concerns Post here if you are in need of a response regarding a pet health question. Medical advice cannot be given, only previous personal experience. (Archived since 5-20-08)
NOTE: THE INFORMATION ON THIS BOARD CAN NEVER BE SUBSTITUTED FOR THE CARE OF A VET. If your pet is ill, call a veterinarian immediately, do not post in this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Question Sinus Wheezing in cockatoo, Atibiotic Question?

My Umbrella is wheezing a bit and Im getting ready to give him some Terramycin broad spectrum, the directions are for more then 1 bird and I dont remember if its 1 tsp or 1 tbsp per gallon of water, Does anyone know for sure? Thanks in advance.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 07:53 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Unfortunately it is illegal to give medical advice on the internet. I'd suggest calling a bird savvy vet in your area for the dose and scheduling an appointment to make sure nothing more serious is going on.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

If you cant give out medical advise on the internet, that kind of defeats the purpose of haaving a thread on Urgent Pet care Doesn't it? At what point do you draw the line and say whatever is being told to another user here that your not giving medical advise? Kind of silly if you ask me.. By the way, The vet gave me the answer I needed, I bought the Antibiotics over the counter at the feed store, nd the directions are on it but for lrger doses, I just needed a dose calculation was all, And Im sure that the law about medical advise petains to humns, not animals...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Curmudgeon

I would strongly urge that you DO NOT give your bird Terramycin based on the info you posted.

You don't know the cause of the wheeze and you don't know the proper dosage. That's two too many unknowns.

Dosing the water is the absolute worst, most inexact way to administer meds, especially something that is so concentration dependent as antibiotics.

Birds can react poorly to antibiotics, especially when given in the wrong dosage. The typical antibiotics, like the ones you are describing (bought OTC) are sometimes questionable in quality and efficacy. If you don't know what you are doing, ...and you dont, you can encourage antibiotic resistant bacteria.

You've got a two thousand dollar bird, don't try to save a hundred bucks by doing the vets job. If you think it's an emergency, go to the vet now, ...if not make an appt for Wednesday and get the bird in then.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 11:11 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
If you cant give out medical advise on the internet, that kind of defeats the purpose of haaving a thread on Urgent Pet care Doesn't it? At what point do you draw the line and say whatever is being told to another user here that your not giving medical advise? Kind of silly if you ask me..
This forum is here for times when immediate issues present and things like basic first aid instructions can be given until an owner can get to a vet, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick;
And Im sure that the law about medical advise petains to humns, not animals
Quote:
... the practice of veterinary medicine means "to diagnose, treat, correct, change, relieve, or prevent animal disease, deformity, defect, injury or other physical or mental conditions; ... or to render advice or recommendation with regard to any of the above." Section 1514 of the Practice Act also states that "no person shall practice veterinary medicine in the state who is not a licensed veterinarian or the holder of a valid temporary permit issued by the Board.
Giving advice on medicine not labeled for a bird is indeed prescribing a medication and therefore, illegal.

Stephanie

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 11:15 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I remember some very good information given on this thread concerning the giving of medical advice.
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f127/...are-40362.html

Lve Never Fails

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 11:33 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Arrow

Also this sticky too explains very clearly why medical advice should not be given out.

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f5/re...ice-28047.html

Tags
veterinary medicine