There's something really wrong with my betta - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Pet Health Concerns Post here if you are in need of a response regarding a pet health question. Medical advice cannot be given, only previous personal experience. (Archived since 5-20-08)
NOTE: THE INFORMATION ON THIS BOARD CAN NEVER BE SUBSTITUTED FOR THE CARE OF A VET. If your pet is ill, call a veterinarian immediately, do not post in this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy There's something really wrong with my betta

About a week ago my betta showed signs of fin rot. I put medicine in his aquarium, and now his fins have more or less stopped receding. Today, when I went to feed him, he barely ate anything. He also didn't eat anything last night. On one side, one of his scales looks like it has a bubble underneath. It's really weird, kinda like a blister. He also has four scratches, two on each side of his face. They couldn't have been caused by anything in the tank because the ones on each side are all in the same place. He also keeps sticking the black fold of skin under his gills out like he can't breathe. But it's not like flaring, it's just plain scary. I'm really really worried, does anyone know what's happening to my poor Music?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 11:40 AM

The blister looking thing could be an ulcer. They are also cause by bacterial infection. The scratches may be red streaks, which is also an infection. You may want to switch meds and see what happens. These things aren't always curable, but you are doing everything that you can.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I have bought new medicine, and I'm changing the water today anyways. Also, Bettatalk recommended a pinch of aquarium salt, should I put that in too?
I really hope he doesn't die, it's so unfair that he's so sick. I wish I could complain to the pet store about this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Now the blister like thing has spread over two scales. It kinda looks like a mirror, and it sometimes moves up and down like it's filled with water, or something. Do bettas get cancer?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 12:47 PM

I know they can get tumors and ulcers. They can get a lot of nasty diseases. Its usually caused by poor water quality and diet and like you said, your betta wasn't being cared for properly. I'm not sure about the salt. I've heard that it helps and I've heard that it doesn't. It probably woudn't hurt to give it a try.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Okay thanks. I'm gonna get him some salt when I go to pick up Soda.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 02:09 PM

Aquariuam or sea salt (not table or iodized salt) can help. It's supposed to sooth and calm, plus prevent fungal problems. It's a great preventative and can really help when a fish is sick. I have never used it with medicines when my Betta was that sick, though, so I don't know if it will help. I do know it won't harm him, so I would say give it a go.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 10:49 AM

Yeah, salt is supposed to help I think. Good luck.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

Now he has black stuff around his front fins that don't move. I think they're called the ventral fins? This fin rot is never going to go away! He's really happy though, he's flaring almost every minute, and he's built a huge bubble nest an inch high!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 05:52 PM

Thats great that he's in such good spirits! He must not feel too bad.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
he's built a huge bubble nest an inch high!
Wow. That is worthy of a photo!

How is he doing now? Any better?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

I see the new growth!!! His fins look so much better! All he does is flare, swim, jump, and eat, and sleep at night. I'm so glad Music is gonna make it and pictures will come if he ever stops moving so fast!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 03:03 PM

You mean your Betta doesn't show off in slow motion for the camera? I thought all Bettas were as vain and photo-hungry as mine!

Glad to hear he's doing so much better. Yay!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 07:59 PM

Ha, yeah, my betta always came in front of the camera, but sometimes never stood still cause he liked to show off!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Well mine has mental problems! Leave him alone, he can't help it. AND he's shy!

One day...one day...I shall get a picture...muahahaha..

Tags
aquarium salt, fin rot, fish food, pet store