What to give for pain - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Pet Health Concerns Post here if you are in need of a response regarding a pet health question. Medical advice cannot be given, only previous personal experience. (Archived since 5-20-08)
NOTE: THE INFORMATION ON THIS BOARD CAN NEVER BE SUBSTITUTED FOR THE CARE OF A VET. If your pet is ill, call a veterinarian immediately, do not post in this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Smile What to give for pain

Hi. My daughter accidentally stepped on our chin and now something seems to be wrong with one side of him. It doesn't hop straight and was veering to the hurt side. Thinking my daughter stepped on a paw but they all appear like they are ok. Thinking he was just stunned and will be alright after a while even though I think there is still something up with a paw. I don't have the money to bring him to a vet so I was wondering if I could give him a 1/4 of a tylenol or something. Can you do this with a chinchilla? I know you can with certain other animals but not sure enough about giving him some. Thank you for any help you can give me! Tanya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 02:42 PM
Leo

Please call and ask a vet, ask them what you can give him for pain. They will have correct the dosage for a chinchilla... calling is usually free...

If you can not afford to take your pet to the vet perhaps you should consider bringing it to the humane society or putting it into a rescue where it will get the medical help it needs. Petfinder.com would be a good place to look for rescues in your area. It is not fair to your animal for it to be hurt and not get any care.

Just because your chin might "seem ok" doesn't mean that he is... being stepped on by anyone could cause serious damage to a chinchillas delicate frame... a chinchilla might not show any huge signs that it is in pain because they are a prey animal... prey animals do not show signs of distress because it signals to predators that they are an easy target.

I would not give your Chin. any Tylenol without dosage instructions from a qualified veterinary professional.

I hope he is able to be looked at and gets better soon.

Last edited by Leo; 11-04-2007 at 02:44 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Yes, well, sadie was doing fine by the next night like nothing ever happened AND I saved a fortune by waiting a little bit. I try not to jump to conclusions and wait until I'm sure of something before I do it. Had I determined that Sadie most definately needed to go to the vet then I would have pulled the money out of somewhere. I'm not heartless, I don't want any animal to suffer any more then you do. Do you fall under the catagory of parent who drags their kid to the doctor at the slightest thing? I was just hoping to provide Sadie with a little comfort at the time. You don't run to the doctor for a headache do you? Normally one would just take some acetaminophen or something. I definately think giving Sadie up like you were suggesting is a tad drastic. Boy, wish I never asked the question! So, in a nutshell, Sadie is as good as new without getting looked at or me spending a fortune. Thank you for your reply anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Leo

Quote:
Do you fall under the catagory of parent who drags their kid to the doctor at the slightest thing?
No, I don't run my kids to the doctor for every little thing, BUT if my kid was landed on/stepped on by someone 5-10 times their size I WOULD at the very least call my doctor and more than likely take them in to be seen. If you had a dog that was hit by a car would you "wait it out" or bring it to the vet? A chin being landed on by a human is pretty much the same thing. He should have been seen to rule out any fractures and internal injuries.

With my pets, I don't make guesses in their care... I do call my veterinary office if I think there could be a potential problem with one of them (I have called my vet maybe 5 times this year for things other than setting up appointments, which I do not think is excessive considering I had a terminally ill pet)... Most veterinarians appreciate it when a client calls over nothing, than not call, "wait it out" and then rush in a patient that is close to coding, which makes it harder for the vet to save the pet and more expensive for the owner. "Waiting it out" kills thousands of pets a year, especially in 'small and furry' animals who tend to not show symptoms of a problem until it is too late.

I get REALLY sick of people complaining that they don't have any money to properly care for their pet(s)... Pets cost money...
If you can not afford the vet, then you can not afford the pet. My suggesting you re-home your pet if you can not afford veterinary care is not "drastic", it was a humane suggestion considering that you "don't have the money to bring him to a vet", and because you said that he was not "hop[ping] straight and was veering to the hurt side" which was an obvious sign of trauma. Your animal was injured and I was suggesting what you could do to get it help, since you could not afford to get it to the vet.

Also, just because you think he is fine, doesn't mean that he is... he could still be having issues from being stepped on and might not be showing any symptoms of pain or distress because he is a prey animal... prey animals usually DO NOT show signs of illness, because like I said before it makes them an easy target for a predator.

I guess for you, the fact that you "saved a fortune by waiting a little bit" is a big priority since you mentioned it twice.

Last edited by Leo; 11-09-2007 at 02:47 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Well, Leo, I have 2 words for you and they aren't "Merry Christmas" My chinchilla is fine. It has made it 12 years just fine with the horrible mommy you make me out to be. I also have 1 bearded dragon, 1 guinea pig, 3 hermit crabs, 3 cats, and one dog. And they are all healthy and fine with me as a mommy? Oh my, how could that be!? Just because I am short on cash at a certain point during the week does not mean I shouldn't own a pet. You know what? You want to talk about inhumane? Why don't the vets accept an animal that is sick whether or not you have the money at that moment? Accidents happen without being planned and there are quite a few people that might not have enough money at the time. No, they will turn it down and let it die because they can't get the cash right then. THAT is inhumane. If I called the vet looking for an appointment they would have told me to come back when I can pay the bill even if my chin was on it's death bed. Maybe you should think about that. Oh, sorry, you sound like a money bag so you wouldn't understand such a problem for some people. We also run (and will own in a few months) a succesfull, reputable doggie daycare on the East coast so I am by far NOT a heartless person. Maybe when we finally own the business I will have the option to run to the vet anytime I think I might have to because after 6 years of hard work making ends meet, owning the business will finally pay off. And guess what, I just brought my daughter to the doctor yesterday because she had an ear ache for 2 days. Know what happened? The doctor looked in her ear then told me it was draining and that was a sign that the ear ache is getting better. I gladly paid the $15 dollars for her appointment. I can see you now. "Mommy, my ear hurts." and you reply "Oh, I will take you to the doctor first thing in the morning, or better yet, maybe we should go to the emergence room right now." Never mind riding it out for a bit until your sure it's not a passing thing. Know how many times I've gone to the doctor as quick as that and had them look at me like "what are you doing in here?" They are not all the same doctors either if that's where your thinking of going with it. I am older then you (35) and I have 3 kids ages 9, 10, and 13 so I have a little more experience then you do. Put all that in your pipe and smoke it you arrogent...beep.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 05:50 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Please keep in mind the PT Guidelines when posting in these forums.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
bearded dragon, doing fine, guinea pig, hermit crab, hermit crabs, humane society, veterinary care