= ^ _ ^ = thats betta - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

= ^ _ ^ = thats betta

Well I went shopping this morning at lidl I took the Ridgeback Velocity and Trailer into Beckenham.

I popped into the aquatics shop in Beckenham and they have betta's, I did say I may come back later but frankly on my return my trailer was loaded to the brim with shopping and 8 bottles of 2 litre spring water being the heaviest of my cargo.

Hmm, they had a nice large Blue and red one and a georgeous bright red betta as well as five others.

Unfortunately I am not ready for one yet, as I dont have a tank or a bowl I could possibly put one in, I did look out for something while I was at IKEA but they never had anything suitable.

so I may have to wait another week or two before I get a tank, I could put one in with my black Widow and X ray tetras but a betta is rather slow moving and will most likely get nipped.

= ^ _ ^ =

But as from now I am looking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.

Last edited by Toky-Ohki; 07-11-2006 at 07:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 10:58 PM
RAT ADDICT

Hopefully you can get a betta real soon!They are greyt fish!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 11:04 PM

Betta in with other fish? I wouldnt!!! they are very aggressive and will kill the other fish in the tank! You may want to read up on that type of fish before you buy one...Just putting in my opinion as I have owned betta's in the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 11:14 PM
Loopy AppleNose

Good luck! Bettas really do make wonderful pets.

And I love the Ikea store. Good job

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. (1 Corinthians 13:4)

Currently reading: Light in August by William Faulkner
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 11:44 AM

bettas can be kept with many many community fish with usually no problems.
i have a list of fish you can keep them with if you want me to show you!
you just CANNOT house bettas with other bettas, but other fish are generally fine. you should do some reading tcannon
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 06:24 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

yes ratty ratkins is right..you can put a betta in with other fish just as long as its not another male betta!! Do not put a betta in with african cichlids though..mainly they will be ok with any other tropical fish except the barb family which are also agressive. A beautiful betta swimming gracefully near the top of a tank of community fish looks absolutely stunning! They add a pop and splash of color! I especially love the blue ones!

i also used to have many bettas in the past and even helped a friend breed them for a few years. Its a lot of work keeping all the males in separate little tanks and the females together in a huge tank. The cleaning of each little container with a male in it to all the food preparation..we fed them blood worms..live ones. Watching the courship is something special, from the making of the bubble nest to the actual mating dance, and the breeding and raising of the fry is such a joy to watch and be part of.

Lve Never Fails

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 08:50 PM

i would love to breed bettas sometime. i love fish and water chemistry and bettas in my opinion are the most pretty fish. there are tons of diffrent kinds of bettas out there with diffrent fin structer and body shapes, its really amazing.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 07:59 PM
RAT ADDICT

Yep,bettas can be in with other fish.I have succesfully housed them with some community fish with no problems!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 03:23 AM

just no nippy fish! not because the betta would hurt them, but because they would nip bettas fins and stress it out. and i personally wouldnt put them in with gormies (sp) either!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 09:12 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

thats good advice...gouramies can be kinda mean and are nippy. Definatly keep any betta away from all types of barbs like i mentioned before.

Lve Never Fails

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 02:12 PM

and bettas are in the same family as gouramies! both labyrith fish! i dont think it would be a great idea.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 02:34 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

your so right! not a good idea at all!

hey ratty...why do u suffer from title envy? lol

Lve Never Fails

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 02:41 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I have had Bettas with the tiny little africal frogs and both live happily for a long time, and now I have him with a snail, hes in a small aqarium with a filter and all that, him and the snails both are thriving, I have never put them with other fish though, just never thought about it lol...I like the snails, they crack me up and I love watching them, and the betta is forever checking them out, I love watching them all lol I am going to get a bigger tank and get another Betta with a female as well...or at least we would like to, but not till we learn alot more about taking care of them properly like that...

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

= ^ _ ^ =

Well I have got a pretty good sized square tank, it used to house my stick insects at one time, problem is I am not sure wether this tank was meant to hold a volume of water, but how can tanks be very different, I might part fill it with water just to test it out before hand.

I went to Aquazoo this morning and they had one solitary betta, it was red, at the Beckenham shop they had 7 of them in miniture plastic tanks.

I have black widow and X ray tetras so I could put them in there, but I realy need a new cabinet to put my tropical tank on top of, while I was there I had them refill my Sera Nitrivec and Aquatan bottles up.

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 05:02 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I agree i keep my betta in with a 6 cherry barbs (they don't nip unlike some of the other barbs), 5 rummy nosed tetras, 2 albino cories and a snail and they all get a long fine

They make fantastic little pets, mine feeds out of my hand and loves all the attention he can get

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Tags
bigger tank, blood worms, breeding season, cherry barbs, fin rot, male betta, males together, tiger barbs, tropical fish, wonderful pets