[Humane] Fish Euthanasia - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

[Humane] Fish Euthanasia

Hi guys. It's been a not-so-great pet month for me. First Rama died, and then Will. (Both are Bettas) Most recently, AJ has passed on.

Now, sadly, Kanya, my oldest living female Betta, is quite ill. A small infection turned into a large one that won't respond to meds. I've worked very hard to try to make her better, but she's only gotten worse. She seems to be suffering now, and I know I have to end her pain but I don't know how. I keep hearing conflicting things. I used to euthanize fish by freezing them but recently I've been reading that this is now considered inhumane. Currently, slamming the fish on the ground, or hitting it over the head with a hard object, chopping off the head, or stabbing them in the brain is considered to be humane but I just can't make myself do it. Three of them are too darn gross to do...I just CAN'T. The last one involves knowing the fish's anatomy VERY well and I may just cause more suffering if I mess up.

I do still read some places that freezing is considered fine, and at this point I think almost anything is better than letting her suffer any longer. I mean, she has a large gaping wound in her side that's obviously infected and obviously painful. She's jerking about in a very painfilled sort of manner.

I really don't know what to do. So I'm hoping to get lots of input from you guys out there. What works for you? What have you read about fish euthanasia?

The most humane ways I've read about aren't possible for me to do. It involves chemicals I cannot legally get ahold of. Obviously, not a possible choice. Sigh.

Do any of you know anything about using a mixture of vodka and clove oil to humanely euthanize them? I read something about that somewhere but I have NO idea about it. Been doing some research but it's making me less and less sure about what I can do, aside from wait for Nature to run its course...which seems more inhumane than anything else.

I need to end her suffering now. Poor thing...

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Last edited by Tilt; 08-04-2004 at 06:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 11:00 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I'm really sorry Roz, I have no advice though. I'm sorry

HUgs to you!

*Brandy*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 11:22 AM

I personally do not think that freezing an animal is a humane way to kill them since it does not kill them instantly. If you are looking to euthanize your fish, I would reccomend either hitting it in the head with something hard or throwing her on the ground. Its a quick and painless way for them to die. I am very sorry about everything that has happened this past month. Your month looks to be as bad as mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 12:12 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Why dont you call your vet and see what they say...I dont think any of these things sound humane at all... :/

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 01:16 PM

Aww, Roz I'm so sorry you have to go through this all in one month. I have heard of a pill that you put in your betta's water that has drugs in it that will kill her instantly. That won't involve anyone throwing anything on the ground. I hope that helps!
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 01:23 PM

Boiling is a common way to quickly euthanize a fish. I'm not positive if it's the best way but I do know it's extremely quick and guaranteed to do the deed :/

The key is ensuring you have a pot large enough and already boiling at highest temps BEFORE bringing the poor fishie over to it. This way you are sure that there will be no painful accidents if the fish doesn't fit in right the first time and so that it doesn't have to endure the "heating up" process.

Large Pot -- filled with water..... ALREADY BOILING EXTREMELY HOT...then fish in net dip in water.... wait a bit... fish gone.

It's so so so hard to make these decisions...but if the goal is to end suffering and certain death it's good that you are taking the time to find the best way to accomplish the task...

RE: Freezing.... that's usually done with certain types of animals AFTER euthanizing them just to ensure they really are dead. E.g. to euthanize a frog you would rub something like neosporin on him which will drug him and put him into a deep sleep. For most frogs this means they simply go to sleep and never wake up. But some frogs are stronger and they'll go into a sort of hybernation only to wake up extremely ill later which would be a bad and inhumane thing to allow to happen. For this reason..after applying the neosporin type gell and after the frog "appears dead" you would then put it in the freezer for three days to ensure he never wakes back up from his slumber. Freezing is an "extra precaution" to ensure nothing inhumane happens after the fact but it certainly is not a humane "before the deed is done" way to put something down....
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Boiling is now considered inhumane as well, is what I'm reading.

Some folks still consider freezing fish to be humane.

Like I side, lots of conflicting things. Sigh.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 04:00 PM

Here's a link with other suggestions that seem logical enough...
http://www.fishjunkies.com/euthanization.php

Freezing -- though I've read a lot from those who recommend it still seems like too slow of a death to me fwiw...

On the above site it notes the following which so far sounds like the best way I've heard of yet...

* Clove oil (Eugenol)

5 drops of Eugenol to each gallon of water will anesthetize a fish, commonly done to handle a fish for procedures such as minor surgery or treating wounds. One ml (20 drops) would be enough for four gallons. The fish will quietly expire if nothing is done to reverse the anesthesia. In order to reverse it, place the fish in clean water.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
Aww, Roz I'm so sorry you have to go through this all in one month. I have heard of a pill that you put in your betta's water that has drugs in it that will kill her instantly. That won't involve anyone throwing anything on the ground. I hope that helps!
I will look into that, then. I don't suppose you have a name or brand or something, do you?
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicOlio
Here's a link with other suggestions that seem logical enough...
http://www.fishjunkies.com/euthanization.php

Freezing -- though I've read a lot from those who recommend it still seems like too slow of a death to me fwiw...

On the above site it notes the following which so far sounds like the best way I've heard of yet...

* Clove oil (Eugenol)

5 drops of Eugenol to each gallon of water will anesthetize a fish, commonly done to handle a fish for procedures such as minor surgery or treating wounds. One ml (20 drops) would be enough for four gallons. The fish will quietly expire if nothing is done to reverse the anesthesia. In order to reverse it, place the fish in clean water.
That sounds promising! Though I am concerned about actually trying it.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 02:28 AM

I've only heard of freezing with snakes / reptiles, apparently they go into a sleep, just keep falling asleep until they are frozen.... my herp vet said it's the best way to go with snakes, but she didn't know about fish... she said contact the zoo *shrug*
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

It's REALLY unfortunate that there are NO solid answers for this question. I hope that one day there is.

I don't have to worry though, for now. Kanya passed away earlier. Sigh...

Thanks for all your input, guys. I appreciate it.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 02:38 PM

I'm sorry, I don't have a name or brand for you. I only herd someone briefly mention it.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

I think I'll try to find it before another fish can need to kick the bucket. The others are all pretty young for Betta, so I don't think I'll have to say good-bye to anyone for some months still. Whew.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 01:30 AM

ya know, i wasn't going to say anything.... but I can't hold my tongue because this ate at me all night.... ANYONE who would throw a fish on the ground to kill it, and thinks that this is humane, is nuts.
Anyone who does this is guilty of cruelty to animals...
I can't imagine any "animal lover" doing this, it sounds like something a sick demented child would do. JMO

Tags
animal lover, animal lovers, female betta, male betta