10 Gallon Aquarium Heater - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

10 Gallon Aquarium Heater

Hello. This summer I got some young silver Mollies for my 5 gallon tank and now they are bigger and ready to be moved into a bigger tank, so I got my 10 gallon out of storage.

Going to need a new hang-on power filter, and most importantly a good adjustable heater. We are heading into winter and I want to be able to provide enough heated water when the wind is howling through this old house.
What heater style and wattage will the Molly tank need?
Pump will probably be a Hagen Aqua clear.
thanks !

Please have pets spayed or neutered and wearing an ID tag.
Adoption is the only option
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 12:27 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

My post got deleted when the site went down so in short:

-Heater: Fluval heaters are good but inexpensive options are the Hydor Theo and Aqueon. I've had a lot of heaters and those brands have been the most reliable. I used to like Stealth heaters but there have been recalls recently due to heaters exploding...so, uh, I won't recommend those at the moment .

-Filter: Hagen AquaClears are still some of my favorites even though they aren't as well-built as they used to be. Whisper filters are also generally reliable (and for a good price). We have an Aqueon HOB that's been running without major problems for years but I've found it to be weaker and more prone to clogging.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Resident Zoologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
-Heater: Fluval heaters are good but inexpensive options are the Hydor Theo and Aqueon. I've had a lot of heaters and those brands have been the most reliable.

-Filter: Hagen AquaClears are still some of my favorites even though they aren't as well-built as they used to be.
Agreed and agreed. At one point, all 100 of my shop's aquaria, and 40+ of my personal aquaria were running on AquaClears, and many/most of those were using Ebo Jager heaters (which initially lost quality when Eheim began producing them, but are again back to decent quality)...I also like Tronic heaters and Hydor heaters. I have not used the new Fluval Series E heaters, but I have heard good things about them from many fellow aquarists.

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Aquarist since 1971
Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)

Past-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Called my local shop today and she has the Aqua Clear filter, and she is still going to try to call another supplier for the Whisper PF 10 which offers good 3 stage filtration and is very quiet.
Then I will ask her about the heaters that you have suggested and see where that leads me.
Thanks so much !!

Please have pets spayed or neutered and wearing an ID tag.
Adoption is the only option
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Resident Zoologist

I really do like the AquaClears, as they are reliable, easy and cheap to find replacement parts for, have great flow rates, and infinitely customisable media. I have ACs that have been running for over 15 years with only some minor parts replacements.

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Aquarist since 1971
Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)

Past-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 02:51 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I would prefer Whisper PF too, very ideal for close room. Our old was too noisy, especially at night..

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!

Tags
tank heater