10 gallon tank, what should we get? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Smile 10 gallon tank, what should we get?

I have a 10 gallon tank that I want to start a new "community" in. What should I get? Should I go the tropical route and get a heater and some tropical fish? Or should I just get a betta and some goldfish?

Are bettas ok with goldfish? If so, why are they always sold in stores alone in small box like containers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 09:58 PM

I like to start off with hardy easy to care for fish. Mollies, platties, guppies, neon tetras and zanno zebra are a few. Don't forget an algea fish or snail.

Gold fish are very pretty too, only I think they are messier!

I had a male betta in my tank at one time and he picked on one male guppy. His fins in particular. He was alright with all the other fish.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core
I have a 10 gallon tank that I want to start a new "community" in. What should I get? Should I go the tropical route and get a heater and some tropical fish? Or should I just get a betta and some goldfish?

Are bettas ok with goldfish? If so, why are they always sold in stores alone in small box like containers?
whatever you do... don't make the same mistake i did.. goldfish are tremendously messy, they need lots of room, they need lots of buddys (3 min), and they need alot of care. tropical fish you can fit (lack of a better term) alot more into a 10 gallon than with cold water fish. Now, i take it your leaning more twords the freshwater, and thats good, cuz if your a beginer than tropical freshwater aquariums are the easiest to handle. about the betas, i'm not to sure of that but i'll check into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 09:27 AM

At my pet store, I think you can find female bettas right in the tank with other fish, I think the males are the agressors. Goldfish do get nig and need alot of room. The fish masterjack recommened would be my choice as well. Good luck!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Sunday looks to be the day I start it! I am going to start out small with only two fish. End of the month makes the cash flow a bit tight. lol I will be sure to post as I have questions though.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 08:21 PM

I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to mix goldfish with other tropical fish... They're supposed to be by themselves (or at least that's what I've always heard)

If you get any tropical fish, make sure you cycle the tank before you put the fish in.... Goldfish you can just put them in w/o cycling it....
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 08:25 PM

Good luck, Core ... personally, I think you need to upgrade your tank size and get a turtle instead but that is only my opinion, j/k
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I am leaning towards the tropical route without any goldfish at all. Didn't get a chance to get to the pet store this weekend as I was on call at work and bowl on Saturday and Sunday nights. Tuesday is my off day and that is when I plan to head to the pet store and start.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 09:45 PM

I personally would not keep a betta with a goldfish because goldfish like cooler water and bettas like warmer waters, completely dif environments but they wouldn't fight eachother or anything. Also, goldfish are messy and are generally just kept with other goldfish in my experience... but bettas will get along with many other fish... just not other bettas
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 07:58 PM

I suggest NOT putting bettas and goldfish together. Bettas tend to mistake other fish with long fins as other bettas and therefore attack them. Guppies should also NOT be kept with bettas. For that size tank I would go with fancy guppies. They are small and pretty and easy for beginners.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 08:03 PM

Someone also mentioned an algae eater.. In your size tank DO NOT GET A PLECOSTAMUS.. Other names Pleco, sucker fish. These fish get big. I couldn't even keep one in my 55 gallon tank they get that big.. plus they are not 'true' algae eaters. As they get larger they will eat anything else they can get into their mouths. Not good for a 10. The only algae eater I would suggest would be an otocinclus. They stay about 2 inches and dont hurt live plants (I have 3 of them) For a ten gallon you'd want to get 2 of them. They are very good at controling algae for its ALL they eat. You can get them at petsmart.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2004, 07:41 AM

for a 10g I agree with the others that fancy guppies would be nice. I also like balloon mollies but I never had alot of luck with them it might be different for you. Platies are nice as well. I like the color that platies, mollies and guppies can add to a tank that size. Get a small heater for the tank if it's going to be in a cooler room.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 09:35 AM
Fertile Myrtle

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnatedcat View Post
whatever you do... don't make the same mistake i did.. goldfish are tremendously messy, they need lots of room, they need lots of buddys (3 min), and they need alot of care. tropical fish you can fit (lack of a better term) alot more into a 10 gallon than with cold water fish. Now, i take it your leaning more twords the freshwater, and thats good, cuz if your a beginer than tropical freshwater aquariums are the easiest to handle. about the betas, i'm not to sure of that but i'll check into it.
Betas are not compatible with goldfish. Reason being is because betafish are teritorial.

Tags
algae eater, female betta, female bettas, gold fish, male betta, neon tetras, pet store, tropical fish