100 gal Pond Project...tips? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question 100 gal Pond Project...tips?

Just bought a 100gal per-formed pond...so now I just have to dig a big hole,dump some sand, install it, get a pump/filter, fill it,drain it, fill it again, prepare the water, put plants in/around it, and stock it with some fishies. Hahaha easy as pie......ya right... So Besides all the research I have to do (I know...no koi in 100 gal pond) I would love it if any of you had any tips.

Iv have a place for in my yard where it will get about 4-5 hrs of sunlight and will be shaded in some parts during that time. Also plan on getting some lilies for the fishies. Am in S. Calif. so weather isnt much of a problem considering our winters are like our summers and visa versa.

Was thinking about gold fish as well as other fish but off hand does anyone know of some more interesting fish that I could keep? Considering that it stays fairly warm though out the year here I thought that might give me more choices.

And you all know that I will be posting pictures from start to finish for all of you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hot cup of Joe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My babies
1 Dog: Huckleberry aka "Stickly Bear"
1 Cat: Kitty aka "Love Muffin"
1 Wolf Spider: JuJuBe "RIP"
1 Betta: Caeser aka "King of the 10 gal kingdom"down graded to 5 gal Kingdom lol
1 Snail: Eddy aka "Goes slow-a-lot"
1 100 gal pond to come....

Last edited by spacefunk; 07-26-2008 at 06:53 PM. Reason: type ooooooo's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 07:31 PM

Mosquito fish are fun. Where I live, here in Washington, they give them away for free! If you have a Mosquito Control Department, give them a call and they will bring you out a bunch of them. They are kind of little, but they are pretty cool little guys and are pretty good survivors. Don't even have to feed them. And, they get along with goldfish I have in my pond! Oooooh, you're going to have fun. I put green flood lights around my ponds at night, gives such a nice look! Inviting to the froggies. LOL

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I have Mosquito fish in my 25 gal above ground pond which I plan to move over to the new pond (once I get it set up) Iv had that 25 gal for the past 12 years with the Mosq. fish so ya I will have those in the new bigger and better 100 gal. What other fish beside goldies can I keep? What about any algae eaters?

Hot cup of Joe

My babies
1 Betta: Caeser aka "King of the 10 gal kingdom"down graded to 5 gal Kingdom lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 11:49 AM

I looked up algae eaters for you and you can keep algae eaters in your pond if you want to. Google it and you can read up on it more! The only thing is that you have to remove them in the winter. I guess that would depend on where you live. They told me I would have to remove my fish during the winter too, but I put heaters in my ponds during the winter and kept my fountains running all winter and my fish were fine and it gets reeeaaallly cold here. But, I took a risk. I like to keep my ponds open because of all of the birds that come to drink and the kitties in the neighborhood that drop by occasionally too. I just feel sorry for everyone. Anyway, as I was reading, I got another idea, did you ever think of a turtle?

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I was thinking about turtles but after looking it up I found that they are not that easy to keep and I would have to wait until the pond was fully established. Plus we have some wild life in our yard and Im sure my dog /cat would love to play with a "moving rock" lol. So far I'v come up with these fish

Shubunkin (too big for 100 gal???)
Sarasa Comet (looks like mini kio )
Comets (same as above but different look)
Bitterlings (cool working fish who helps maintain pond)
Flagfish (interesting looking fish but not sure on why id want 1)
Fan tail gold fish (these guys can get big OMG...and fat lol, not sure on this one)
Common gold fish (again feeder fish that look like kio)
Mosquito fish (which i already have and will be moved to bigger pond)

So far thats the choices iv come up with. Im leaning towards goldfish that resemble Kio with MQ fish and a few bitterlings and some sort of algae eater. Winter lows for my area is 45F and thats not very typical.

If there are any other fish that iv missed let me know....dang i wish i could get a bigger pond for kio lol anyways.

Hot cup of Joe

My babies

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

BTW the pond is roughly 5ft x 6ft by 2ft deep (abit under 2 ft by a few inchs)

Hot cup of Joe

My babies

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Photos....and....

So I stopped off at petco...looked into the tank of death..(feeder fish)....and saw two (comets i think) that I had to have for my new pond (which i have yet to start on) and i got a third cause I like odd numbers....here are some photos of soon to be inhabitants of my new pond and a pic of the pond. The tree is going bye bye and the pond in its place.also the pond is backwards in the pic...let me know what you guys think....was thinking about tan gravel on the bottom of the pond so i can see the fish better and to give the pond a natural look...any suggestions on other colors??? Ok here are the pics....

Hot cup of Joe

My babies

Last edited by spacefunk; 07-28-2008 at 12:48 AM. Reason: opps i did it again
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Man it seems.....

Man! It seems everytime i go to the pet store I end up with more fish lol i got 5 more which made a total of 8...one did not look so good and i stepped out to pick up my mom at work today and when i came back he was dead He didnt seem healthy when i got him so no wonder. Anyway the 7 left all seem healthy and look really good 3 of them are really stressed out (i think because they are waiting for some six year old to start pounding on the glass) Am pretty sure they will calm down in a few days.When they find out that when i walk up to them its to say hi and feed them. The other four seem fine as they are eating everything they can find and 2 of those 4 are moving their way to the top of the pecking order. I have one gray one which iv named Dorian, a white one named Pearl, a org&blk called Bob....and the other four wht&org are un-named right now..I am housing them in my 10 gal until I set up my pond....I know kinda backwards but i think im safe...AND TO THINK THESE GUYS WERE FEEDER FISH grrrrrrr...here are some pics

The whole group

Hot cup of Joe

My babies

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 07:45 PM
Hello Earthling

Yay, I want a pond so bad but my mom doesn't want one.

How big of a tank are you keeping the in right now?Filter? Gold fish need atleast 20 gallons, I think each.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Am keeping them in my 10 gal with a good filter 3 of them are under an inch long 2 are almost an inch and the other 2 are an inch but they should only be in the tank for no more than 2 months...My goal is to have the new pond set up and ready in 3 weeks provided that the digging goes well...and pond water levels out quickly....Am using the water from my 25 gal pond to help cycle water for the new pond to speed up the process.

Hot cup of Joe

My babies

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Solar Pump/filter???

I'v been looking up solar pumps and filters was wondering if anyone is currently using one for their pond??? And if so what make and model?

Anyway my all white fishy "Pearly" died she acted the same way the 1st sick fish did and she died too so now Im down to six but all the rest are fine...had a water spike which kept me on my toes for a day but did a 50% water change and cleaned the tank and the water levels were fixed with in 24 hours The fish with the lucky spot has been asserting him self and making it knowen that he is top dog in the tank....have named him "The Spot" lol...Dorian is fast and eats alot of the food...little sneak...Bob the smallest orng&blk fish gets pushed around a lot but he is a little fin nipper....anyway the other 3 still need names...so i found a home for the tree and will have it up rooted by the end of the week...YAY! then the fun begins....anyway if anyone had any thoughts on solar stuffs for the pond that would be very helpful.

Hot cup of Joe

My babies

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 08:54 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

water alone from your 25gal tank is not enough to cycle your tank...the bacteria is not suspended in water...it is found in substrate...you can always cycle with some fish food to get an ammonia spike..ect...you could also add some filter media to your pond filter from your old tank to get to bacteria seeded...having 8 comets in only a 100gal pond is a bit much...they are very messy and will grow large and you will need to do a lot of water changes

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

thanks thats good to know! ....only have 6 fishys now... two died from unknown causes...the six left are looking happy and healthy so i wont be getting any more...Not until I expand the pond that is...
Still no replies about solar pumps? I was just thinking it would be nice to go green...

Hot cup of Joe

My babies

Last edited by spacefunk; 08-06-2008 at 06:51 PM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

never heard of them...would be interesting to see how it runs and works out
I would do a quick wc for you current aquarium ...seeing as the two died..before that you should check your water parameters and make sure it wasnt bc the water was bad like ammonia or high levels of nitrates/nitrites

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Smile

Been testing the water every 2 days...all is good and just did a water change yesterday. The 2 fish that died looked bad from the start i dont think its anything i did/didnt do. They swam funny and their scales looked all beat up. I think it was bc they were in the "feeder tank" with hundreds of other fish. Anyway I was thinking about shopping around for a 150 or 200 gal pond and returning the other one....not sure but was thinking about it....I v found a few solar pumps on line most of them seem really cheap. Only 2 of them so far seem to be up to par and will run on cloudy days and nights....OH and also i got some nice canna plants with bight colors and flowers yay

Hot cup of Joe

My babies