14 gallon stocking questions. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Mouse Obsessor

Question 14 gallon stocking questions.

I have a 14 gallon that I would like to put fish in.
I would like a mix of different types of fish. But I do not know how many can comfortably fit in there.
Here is some fish types I would like to have. (These are fish I would like to have, I know some may not be suitable)
Platys
Guppies
Mollies
Neon Tetras
White Cloud Mountain Minnows
Harlequin Rasboras

Any suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Pets:

1 Rat: (Ace)
1 RC Hamster: (Hannibal)
3 Cats: (Tao, Drew, Jak-ke)
2 Ferrets: (Fisher, Georgie)
1 Betta: (Maxwell) + (5 Platies and 1 Molly)
Rest in peace all my little Mice: Tempo, Aaron, Tatiana, Pei, Shi, Orange, Spotty, Lee Hyun, Key, Calvin, Chun, Jiro, Hero...
And my past Dookers: Lulu (my heart), Frodo (my old man), MoneyPennies (the first one), ect...
Aswell as all my lost Cats (my beloved Haru, ect..) and Bettas (Stahl the creepy one, ect..)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

A 14-gallon is a little small for a community set-up with a bunch of different fish but you could probably pick 2 of those species .

I would avoid mollies, they need more room and are picky about water parameters. Neon tetras would be OK size-wise but can be rather sensitive to water quality, especially if you have hard tap water.

If it was me, I'd go for a small group of platies plus a school of white cloud minnows or harlequin rasboras. All are adaptable fish doing well in a variety of conditions. They would also all do fine in cooler tropical temperatures (low to mid 70's), will eat commercial foods without fuss, and are peaceful.

I have to run but can post about them in more detail and answer questions later tonight .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 03:48 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm not so familiar with other fishes you got there but, as newbie, ask the pet shop which ones are strong and live longer even there are temperature changes on your water. Soon you will learn what are the requirements of most species..

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Mouse Obsessor

Oh I thought about it and I ended up getting 5 Platies and 1 Molly.
Gotta love Platies. lol

My Pets:

1 Rat: (Ace)
1 RC Hamster: (Hannibal)
3 Cats: (Tao, Drew, Jak-ke)
2 Ferrets: (Fisher, Georgie)
1 Betta: (Maxwell) + (5 Platies and 1 Molly)
Rest in peace all my little Mice: Tempo, Aaron, Tatiana, Pei, Shi, Orange, Spotty, Lee Hyun, Key, Calvin, Chun, Jiro, Hero...
And my past Dookers: Lulu (my heart), Frodo (my old man), MoneyPennies (the first one), ect...
Aswell as all my lost Cats (my beloved Haru, ect..) and Bettas (Stahl the creepy one, ect..)

Tags
guppy, minnow, molly, platy, rasboras