1yr Anniversary Gift - Betta! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

1yr Anniversary Gift - Betta!

So my Fiance really wants a Salt Water fish tank however we can't really afford the kind he is looking for (a 65+ gallon tank and all the fixings lol) whenever we go to pet stores or anything animal related he checks out the fish. I got him to look at some bettas and he told me about one he fancyed(SP) so I thought what better than to get him a smaller(ish) tank with a Green betta (since green is his favortie color). I want to get the betta a bigger tank than those tiny cups they keep them in. I've owned bettas before so I will be able to help him out if need be. Our anniversary is on the 26th so I have a few days to hunt down the perfect little betta for him. I can't get him his salt water tank but I can get him a nice betta . I am planning on getting the tank, food, plants, water solution, and flooring on Tuesday & Thursday when I drive to class with him and he has work once he is done with class hehe sneaky me!

My Kids:6
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 02:31 AM
I am allergic to maths

Awww, that is a really nice idea, keep us posted on that perfect little fishy hunt!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 05:35 AM
RAT ADDICT

Awww...good luck with it!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Playful Pup

I hope he enjoys his little fishy
I loved my fishes

тяєαℓє
נυѕтιηє, ρнєσηιχ & вσηgσ

ρσρρу
тιgєя, тσєє, єℓιχ & נєѕѕ

ѕι∂ηєу
нαмѕтєя тнє ιѕн & вσв
нєямιєѕ σмιηg ѕσση
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thank you everyone! well he was looking at some Bettas today while I was getting some price ideas. He caught me looking at some tanks and plants and guessed what I was getting him so I said he could get his fishy early and OMG he is a cutie! He's this beautiful He's got a Navy blue body and a teal colored Dorsel fin with a hint of navy and red, His Pelvic fin is all deep red colored with light teal tips. His vental fin is deep red with what looks like blac or Navy blue "liner" then last but no least the caudal fin is all red at the base of the body and as it goes out to the tips of his tale turns from blue to teal again. I am going to get a picture asap! We bought him a 2 1/2 gallon tank that has room for two dividers so he can get two more bettas should he choose to. The fish has red gravel with a black and shiny white silky colored plant. We want to get him some more plants but that will have to be the next pay check. Then of course we bought some water dexoifyer(SP) and his food (YUM). I am ok with him getting two more the only thing that worries me is (when they show their gills to each other when getting teritorial) that they will get stressed out and get sick or possibly die so we were thinking maybe there is a way we can 'tint' or else get some 'picture' that we can put up between them so they don't feel threatened. Then if that doesn't work I've heard that some bettas can live with other species of fish (or is that the females?) so worst comes to worst maybe we can get Warren (I guess he named him after Warren Bata(SP)? I have no clue who that is so I didn't get the 'joke' lol) some other fishy buddies.

Oh and he looks similar to the picture I posted just make the body darker and the base of the caudal fin a darker blue at the base.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 96618-main_Full.jpg (42.2 KB, 3 views)

, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 07:19 PM
Hello Earthling

Congrats! He's really nice.

With a 2 gallon tank you may want to just stick with one betta, even though they can live in small places they don't enjoy it. If you're thinking of getting another betta or two I would suggest getting different tanks or a large (10gallon) tank and dividing it. That way each betta will have his own space and not be cramped.Plus bettas are very smart and enjoy entertainment and places to explore.

Female bettas can live in groups with other fish. Males can live with other fish as long as they are not fin nippers or fancy (like male fancy guppies).

Snails and shrimps make good companions for bettas.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
Congrats! He's really nice.

With a 2 gallon tank you may want to just stick with one betta, even though they can live in small places they don't enjoy it. If you're thinking of getting another betta or two I would suggest getting different tanks or a large (10gallon) tank and dividing it. That way each betta will have his own space and not be cramped.Plus bettas are very smart and enjoy entertainment and places to explore.

Female bettas can live in groups with other fish. Males can live with other fish as long as they are not fin nippers or fancy (like male fancy guppies).

Snails and shrimps make good companions for bettas.
Thank you! Yes we were thinking of getting another larger tank or else another 2 1/2 gallon so that we can keep them from each other. However I am a little worried because now that we have added water to the tank it has a smokey red tint to it. I suspect from the red gravel we got. Should I be worried about this?? we are ready to place him into his new tank so he can start adjusting(SP) I am just worried about him 'breathing' in all that red stuff??

, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 12:11 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

just wait a bit for the red gravel to settle, or you can take it out and wash your gravel better.

That size tank is probably too small for more than one. I have one male betta with a few other fish in my ten gal, a 2 fancy male guppies, and 2 tetras and 3 cory cats.

and my other beta in a 2.5 gal in the living room alone.

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

I'd personally only keep 1 betta in a 2.5gal tank.

When I had 2 male bettas I kept them in a 10 gal divided tank. The divider I got was clear so they could see each other, and the were constantly flaring at each other. I didn't want them to get stressed out so I used some contact paper and stuck it to the divider so they couldn't see each other.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Hello Earthling

You can take the gravel out and thoroughly rinse it until the water runs clear, or you could just use the take bare bottom.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 02:41 AM
Playful Pup

Aww that's so pretty
I'm going to use my holiday spends to buy a new tank (H)
Well it's the plan
Yer I would get a bigger tank if he wants more fishies don't want them upset (N)

тяєαℓє
נυѕтιηє, ρнєσηιχ & вσηgσ

ρσρρу
тιgєя, тσєє, єℓιχ & נєѕѕ

ѕι∂ηєу
нαмѕтєя тнє ιѕн & вσв
нєямιєѕ σмιηg ѕσση
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
. I didn't want them to get stressed out so I used some contact paper and stuck it to the divider so they couldn't see each other.
Yeah, that what we are thinking of doing should we up-grade our tank and get another betta.

, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

So we just got done cleaning our tank and my Fiance was very excited to see that Warren had started to build a bubble raft! He was like a little kid on christmas! He's been reading up on bettas and wants to buy him this little tank assesory that says "I Prefer To Live Alone" on it. I thought that was a cute idea. We also might be up-grading to a 22gal tank because a friend of mine is moving and has sold all of his fish. I am not 100% sure yet and haven't told my Fiance since I have no clue where we would put the thing lol.

, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 08:07 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

some bettas get stressed in a tank that big but others like it, either way i'm sure you will find a place to put it and things to put in it

My roommate wanted to get the same thing for my betta! its a little sign that has arrows like street signs right?

[/CENTER]

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Yeah! oh my gosh it was funny. My dad gave us his 22gal tank so he Just needs to give it a good cleaning and I think he's going to try and get a shrimpy or two. Call me dumb but are there fresh water shrimp? I've herd(SP) of crawdads but those suckers get pretty big lol and I don't know that they are even shrimp.

, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Tags
anniersary, betta fish, gift