3 gallon tank? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

3 gallon tank?

I have a 3 gallon tank right now, which I'll be moving Slimey, my goldfish, into tomorrow. I want to get other fish later, after Slimey, something besides comet goldfish or bettas, which are all I've ever had. Right now I only have the three gallon, its an eclipse system with a biowheel filter. I'm wondering what would be good in something like that. I know its kind of small, not ideal, but its what I have. I might just buy a bigger tank in the spring when I can afford it, but nothing bigger than a ten gallon, because to be honest, i'm too lazy to maintain anything bigger than that. I'm thinking that I'd like neon tetras, I've loved those since I was a kid. Guppies or mollies would be cool, too. I don't know much about fish though, so I'm trying to learn before I commit to anything more complicated than a goldfish. Slimey's great, but I'd like some more variety in my life, and I'd like a bit more of a challenge.

4 cats: Radar, Oscar, Mackintosh, Qwilleran
1 dog: Daphne
3 rabbits: Barbarella Bunny. DC's Lucy, Ricky
1 daddy-long leg spider: Spidey
8 assorted tarantulas
1 madagascar hissing cockroach: Lady
3 chickens
1 ball python: Eve
1 corn snake: Charisma
1 California kingsnake: Honey
1 tortoise: Charlie
2 Mali Uromastyx: Nick and Nora
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I know you said you're too lazy to maintain a bigger tank but a smaller tank actually requires more maintenance!

A comet goldfish really can't live in a 3-gallon...in fact, even a 29-gallon would end up too small once he got larger (though it would be much, much better then a 3-gallon).

You're going to have to do a 100% water change on the 3-gallon every day...actually, if it was my fish I would be changing it twice a day. Goldfish are extremely messy fish.

As for what CAN live in the 3-gallon I would look into african dwarf frogs, ghost/cherry shrimp, and maybe dwarf puffers.

Neon tetras wouldn't be able to live in such a small tank since you could only have a couple and they are schooling fish. Mollies need at least a 10-gallon and a 20-gallon would be better. A pair of guppies (same gender since you won't have room for babies) might be ok if you really kept up on water changes.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

thanks, i'm still learning a lot, and i want to know what i'm doing before i commit... I don't even know where my 3 gallon tank is, my mom forgot where she put it, its been years since i've seen it, and its not where i thought it was. so now i'm looking into buying a new setup... is it cheaper to buy it piece by piece, or to get a kit? Twenty gallons seems like it would be too big and heavy to clean often enough, with a decent filter, how often do they need to be cleaned? would neon tetras be okay in ten gallons?
I don't have room for an aquarium stand, I'd put the tank on top of my armoire, so it would be higher up, which is why a large tank would be a problem. It wouldn't be very easy to take it down to clean...
I guess I have a lot of research to do. I wish I knew where that 3 gallon tank was so i could at least get slimey out of that little bowl he's in until i can get something better for him...

8 assorted tarantulas
3 chickens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 12:21 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwaynowhere View Post
thanks, i'm still learning a lot, and i want to know what i'm doing before i commit... I don't even know where my 3 gallon tank is, my mom forgot where she put it, its been years since i've seen it, and its not where i thought it was. so now i'm looking into buying a new setup... is it cheaper to buy it piece by piece, or to get a kit? Twenty gallons seems like it would be too big and heavy to clean often enough, with a decent filter, how often do they need to be cleaned? would neon tetras be okay in ten gallons?
I don't have room for an aquarium stand, I'd put the tank on top of my armoire, so it would be higher up, which is why a large tank would be a problem. It wouldn't be very easy to take it down to clean...
I guess I have a lot of research to do. I wish I knew where that 3 gallon tank was so i could at least get slimey out of that little bowl he's in until i can get something better for him...
Oh, you don't clean larger tanks completely! It's not like having a small desktop tank that needs 100% water changes. Instead you'd change about 20% of the water weekly with a gravel vacuum. The tank itself wouldn't need to be moved at all.

See, larger tanks can be cycled: http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f77/c...ium-43789.html

So it's actually much easier to clean .

You'll want a strong HOB (hang-on-back) or Canister filter for a goldfish. Get one made for a bigger tank then the one you get.

The kits aren't going to be that much cheaper mainly because you'll want a better filter for a goldfish then the one it'll come with.

Yeah, neon tetras can be kept in a 10-gallon . In fact, I have some living in a 10-gallon right now. It's extremely important the tank is completely cycled and stable before you add them, though.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

well, i woke up this morning to find slimey dead
i'm buying a 10 gallon tank with a filter and heater tomorrow evening, and i'll get that started so when its cycled, i can add some fish. i want neon tetras, and i'm thinking of some other compatable fish as well. Thank you so much for your help, Sasami, it really got me thinking, and researching more about proper fish care.

8 assorted tarantulas
3 chickens
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 10:25 AM
RAT ADDICT

Sorry about your fishy.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 10:12 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwaynowhere View Post
well, i woke up this morning to find slimey dead
i'm buying a 10 gallon tank with a filter and heater tomorrow evening, and i'll get that started so when its cycled, i can add some fish. i want neon tetras, and i'm thinking of some other compatable fish as well. Thank you so much for your help, Sasami, it really got me thinking, and researching more about proper fish care.
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that .

Good luck with the neons...they're a lot of fun. In fact, neons are one of my favorite fish species and I have both regular and albino. Mine are about three years old.

Make sure you pick up a good test kit, too. You can get the water tested at a petstore for free but I find it sooo much easier to just have one at home. This way if fish suddenly seem ill you can quickly test the water and find out the problem. Testing the water is especially important when cycling the tank and adding the first few fish.

Oh, and avoid the test strips. Not only are they inaccurate but they are disposable meaning it's going to be a lot cheaper to get a chemical test in the long run. I got my test kit years ago and I still have plenty of the test chemicals (and I use it a lot! not just on my own tanks, either, hahaha).

Let me know if you need help with anything .

~Stephanie

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 05:43 AM
Will It Ever Change?

awww sorry about your fishy *hugs*

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan

Tags
african dwarf, african dwarf frog, bigger tank, dwarf frogs, neon tetras