African clawed frog questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

African clawed frog questions

I am considering getting an african clawed frog. I have a spare ten gal with lots of filtration. It will be upgraded to my forty down the road but the ten it the min housing suggestion. But I was wondering how much the cost per month. plus what foods I should be getting. I have Reptomin and a breeding trio of guppies I will feed the fry to him. I just want to know costs and such to make sure I'm totally sure before I bring the little one home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 09:45 PM
is a little "special"

If you already have the tank/supplies, they really don't cost much at all. I probably spend about $5/month or less on bloodworms for him, and when I get my beardie crickets or waxworms he gets those too.
I just got mine a new filter cause he clogged his old one to death, and I bought a heater a couple years ago when my tank got freakishly cold during the winter, and I just got a new syphon too, but that's really the only maintenance stuff I've had to buy since I adopted him 3 or 4 years ago... Unless you count decorations and stuff, but that's more for my enjoyment LOL.

They are pretty cheap and easy little pets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

oh yeah i have sun dried shrimp and some blood worms for him And my dad gets crickets for his tarantulas so i can stick one in with him I may need to buy a heater but they like cool water so we will see how the temp sits when i set it up. I would love something to just sit and watch I do with Spots but I love watching froggy behavior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 10:32 PM
is a little "special"

You usually don't need a heater for them, but my water temp got down to, like, 60*F one winter, whick is a tad on the cold side!
They are really neat little guys. If you get a male, they will sing at night. It's so relaxing to listen to!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

I will probably get a little baby if I can find one so I wont know the gender for a little while. I'm so looking forward to the little one I already have all the food and tank decor and such Just need to move and cycle my tank which since i have two cycled tanks wont be hard or long I put extra filter floss in one

what substrate do you use? I read pea size gravel is ok since its small enough to pass. but what would you recommend? I would really prefer no sand dont wanna risk filter damage
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 11:20 PM
is a little "special"

I used gravel at first, but when I saw him almost eat it I switched to sand right away. It can be a pain to clean, but otherwise I have no complaints. It's 110% safe for them, and it's a great place for "good" bacteria to grow.
Here is what my ACF tank looks like:

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Thats so cute I may get some playsand for the tank
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 10:38 AM
is a little "special"

Thanks!
Yeah, now that I've had sand for so long, I actually like how it looks much better than gravel!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

it wasnt the look its i already have the gravel for the tank lol So i wanted to use that
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
it wasnt the look its i already have the gravel for the tank lol So i wanted to use that
If you're getting an ACF you may need to switch it out anyway. They can choke on gravel (and it's basically a death sentence unless the gravel is really small). For ACFs you want to use smooth river rocks, sand, or just go bare-bottom .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 06:04 PM
is a little "special"

And to add to what Sasami said, sand it usually the best option IMO because it is harder to cycle a bare bottom or river stone tank, because there isn't anywhere for the "good" bacteria to grow.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

I have Two cycled tanks So cycling is not a problem. I was thinking about taking some stones from this tank So it brings bacteria and its safe for my froggy