African Dwarf frogs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

African Dwarf frogs

I got two african dwarf frogs and I tried to feed them frog bites, flake betta food, and pellet betta food. Neither one of them seem to have eaten anything at all. It kind of looks like one is trying to mate with the other. Does anyone know how often and how much they eat. Or if therre are any other foods I can give them. They do move around the cage a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

I had some before and they wouldn't eat any pellet foods. They really enjoyed frozen foods though - bloodworms, brine shrimp, stuff like that. They sell them frozen or freeze dried, but I heard that the freeze dried ones aren't as good for them. See if the pet store has a freezer in the fish section with frozen fish foods.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Loopy AppleNose

Yes, I had the same problem with mine. They would not touch any pellet foods, but I had great success with the frozen foods mentioned (bloodworms, etc)

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. (1 Corinthians 13:4)

Currently reading: Light in August by William Faulkner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 11:33 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I don't feed mine pellets and don't feel they are a good staple. I would try frozen or live foods . Don't feed freeze-dried as their main diet...get the actual frozen stuff.

Mine always loved krill and bloodworms the most. But they'll also eat mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, and live blackworms.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

ok. thanks.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 08:46 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

where can you get live black worms...? i havent been successful with ever finding a live aquatic food product..do you order yours online?

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 12:04 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skratikans View Post
where can you get live black worms...? i havent been successful with ever finding a live aquatic food product..do you order yours online?
I get live foods at a locally owned petstore. The chains probably won't have blackworms =/. You could call some of the smaller stores in your area .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 07:15 PM
is a little "special"

OMG HOW DO YOU GET YOUR FROGS TO LIVE?!!! Mine always die even if they do eat. I think I went through, like, eight. Ugg...

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
OMG HOW DO YOU GET YOUR FROGS TO LIVE?!!! Mine always die even if they do eat. I think I went through, like, eight. Ugg...

make sure all you water perimeters are good...make sure that you are not over crowding your tank by overstocking with fish...its suggested that the little guy should have at least a ten gallon tank, making it easier to maintain the tank...and before you add any fish into a tank make sure its cycled

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 08:55 PM
is a little "special"

My tank was cycled, It is a 10g w/ 2 filters, it had 3 tiny fish in it: 2 platties and one guppy. He was eating, swimming, and doing great untill he died. I had my water tested the day befor I got him and it was perfect. I guess I just dont have good luck with the little guys...

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 08:42 PM

Bloodworms, maybe?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 08:52 PM
is a little "special"

I fed them blood worms!

Tags
african dwarf, african dwarf frog, blood worms, brine shrimp, dwarf frogs, fish food, pet store