African Dwarf Frogs not eating - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

African Dwarf Frogs not eating

I've had a pair of male African dwarf frogs (Sam and Pippin) living in a two-gallon tank for over a year and I've never had any trouble with them until now. Last week I changed their water and in the process I replaced their old gravel with new, added a plastic plant, and a plastic tank decoration.

The first couple days after the water change, the frogs were extra frisky like they usually are when they get new water. But since then they, especially Sam, have been fairly sluggish. They spend most of the day near the top of the tank sitting in the plant's leaves (again, Sam does this more than the other). I thought "Maybe they just really like the plant.." but it seems they haven't been eating much/at all either. I put in the normal amount of pellets (I know not all frogs like pellets, but I've been feeding them pellets for over a year and they've been fine up till now) and the pellets just sit at the bottom, getting soggy and clouding up the water.

Tonight I took the plant out and Pippin has been swimming around and being pretty active since then, though I haven't seen him eat yet. Sam has been sitting in mostly the same place.

I'm really, really worried about them. What could be wrong? What caused it? And most importantly, HOW CAN I HELP THEM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

have you gotten the water checked? Here at our local pet store they check the water free to make sure all the levels are ok...maybe buy some frozen brine shrimp to get them to eat, mine loved shrimp so much...I really hope someone else can help yuo better, I hope they will both be ok...its so hard not knowing whats wrong with them...

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Hello Earthling

Well if you changed everything you could have put the tank through another cycle which in turn would stress the frog out.

Get your water tested to make sure its right for the ADF's and also check that the temperature is also correct.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It sounds like you killed off your beneficial bacteria when you cleaned out the tank/replaced the gravel. Since the tank is now un-cycled, you're probably having ammonia/nitrite spikes. The only way to confirm this would be to get your water tested (most pet stores will do this for free if you bring in a water sample).

Keep up on partial water changes (try to do them daily) and if Bio-Spira is available in your area, adding some will help a TON. Some hardy live plants will speed up the cycling process and absorb ammonia...java ferns would be perfect.

Good luck!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
african dwarf frog