Algae - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Algae

Hello all,

I have a 10 gl set up with one little oranda, his nitrites are now down and he seems much calmer now!

I have 2 snails in the tank also, the pet store told me that they would clean the tank.

I noticed the tank is getting some algae on the glass, very small amount. I was thinking I should get an algae fish, but I did not want to take away from the snails eating it.

What should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 09:54 AM

What is the temp of your water?

How long do you leave your lights?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 11:01 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

in my opinion algae fish dont always solve that problem, sure they will take some algae but most of them, like plecos, take flakes and if you do get algae fish, i would make sure you read carefully bc a lot of stores sell them when they are so tiny and many people dont realize how big they will get and even if they have some stunted growth bc of the tank size, they may still get too big for their tank, to the pt where its more of a prison than a cage

for the algae problem my questions are: is your tank near a window>? what kind of lighting do you use, do you feel and have a lot of left over food, how often is the water changed

if you say that there is just a green layer of algae growing on the tank's sides, i wouldnt worry too much, bc all you have to do is when you do a 50% or so water change, just scrub the algae off , however if the water is green then you have a bigger problem

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Skratikans; 01-24-2007 at 11:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 11:03 AM

Keeping your light on for long periods can cause algae also. I don't keep my light on more that 8 hours a day and I have no algae.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

my water temp is 72, and the lighting is on in the evening for about 5 hours.

The water is not green, I did a water change yesterday and noticed the film on the glass, so i wiped it off and it waas a greeny browny color.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Getting an algae eating fish might help keep algae down but it won't solve the problem.

Try keeping the light on for shorter amounts of time, do extra water changes, and test your nitrates. I have a feeling that you have high nitrates since you tank is a bit over-stocked...this may be the problem. If you vacuum your gravel more it should help keep them down . You can try getting a better filter, too, depending on what kind you have already. Goldfish and snails are both very messy and require strong filteration.

You could also try adding some hardy live plants...either floating ones like duckweed or ones that grow really fast such as hornwort. Mosses work well, too. All these will really help keep nitrates down and will out-compete the algae for nutrients .

Definately don't get an algae eating fish, though. Your tank is already fully stocked and getting another fish would lead to crazy nitrate spikes which will make your algae even worse.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

The nitrates are ok, I had the high nitrites and I finally have those under control. I do 10% water change every week and vaccuum every other week.

I will try plants and also keeping the light on shorter periods of time.

Tags
pet store