Algae Take Over! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Algae Take Over!

I've noticed the last few weeks I've been battling Algae really bad in the fish tank. What do all of you do to keep the Algae at bay? I clean the tank one or twice a week and scrub down the walls of the tank to clean off algae but it just comes right back and it is growing on the gravel and the decor in the tank as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Herp Nerd

Generally speaking, to help control it better, reduce the amount of lighting and make sure your nitrates aren't spiking. Algae can be kind of frustrating to control sometimes. Snails can help with keeping the glass clean, but you have to be careful they don't muck up by having babies and clogging your filtration. There are algae control products out there, but I haven't used any of them personally. I'm battling an algae break out in my saltwater tank too.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 07:58 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Besides cleaning it, I can't offer much advice besides reducing the lighting like Ravnos said.

There are products that are supposed to get rid of algae but I've never tried them before.

What size tank do you have? You could consider getting an apple snail or two or an algae-eating fish like an oto or pleco (though most plecos need a TON of room).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 09:45 AM
Herp Nerd

Bristlenose catfish, (Ancistrus species) don't get as large as most plecos, and they are good algae eaters as well. They even come in an albino variety, which is pretty cool.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 04:58 PM

we use black sharks in our fresh they are excellent cleaners they will clean everything. they do grow fast but our petco trades them in for us when they outgrow the tank. for salt we use a ton of snails and if they can't keep up there is a tablet out i believe it is called mylocin or something close to that that will clear it right up. double check the box to make sure it is safe for all your inhabitants though!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 05:38 PM

How long do you leave your light on during the day?

What is your water temp?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 02:35 PM

the tablet we use for the salt is called maracyn--i was wrong sorry.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

We have about a 15-17.5 gallon tank (it translates to a strange size from liters). We also have several bottom feeders, 2 whiptail catfish, 6 kuhli's, 3 shrimp, 2 mini catfish (don't remember their name but they only get to be about 2.5 inches) and a horde of Apple Snails. (We got 3 and then they procreated galore X_x)

The temp stays about 25C (or 77F) During the summer it gets to 26-27C (abt 79-80) I try to keep it cooler by changing water more frequently and we only get about 8 weeks of the really hot weather but even turning off the heater the water stays very warm in summer.

We do have the lights on for a long period so perhaps I should start by trying to cut that down a lot. I usually turn them on between 8 and 10am and turn it off again aroun 10pm.

Thanks for all the advice!

Tags
algae eater, fish tank