Angelfish Breeding! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Angelfish Breeding!

So, a week ago, we got a new 35 gallon aqaurium with some fish which included 3 adult angelfish. Tonight I noticed a whole bunch of eggs and one of them realeasing what I'm guessing is sperm(guessing male), another fanning the eggs with it's fins(guessing female) and the other trying to stay out of the way, but getting attacked by the other two and at one point it got close enough and ate some of the eggs.
So there are some questions.
How long are they in the eggs?
What's the best pH level and water temperature while in the eggs and after they hatch?
Should we get a nursery?
Are the eggs even likely to hatch or should we just do nothing and let it work itself out whether they get eaten or not?

Anything else would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 11:48 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I've never personally kept freshwater angelfish but I found this link that might help: Angelfish Breeding: Frequently Asked Questions -- Home Page .

Good luck with them!

I know angelfish can raise the babies themselves but from what I've heard it's not unusual for them to eat the first batch or two. So if you really want babies it might be a good idea to get a nursery.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Actually, we didn't expect it all all. The previous owners said that the shrimp have bred before, but the eggs got eaten, but now we think the might have been wrong, and it was actually the angelfish.

Thanks for the link!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 12:04 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRose
Actually, we didn't expect it all all. The previous owners said that the shrimp have bred before, but the eggs got eaten, but now we think the might have been wrong, and it was actually the angelfish.

Thanks for the link!
It could also be that they are suddenly spawning now because of the enviormental change. Maybe the temperature or pH is different. Or the water is cleaner from tearing down the tank.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

So now they've been there for about 12 hours. and I noticed yesterday that ONE of the eggs were white while the others were ALL trasparent. Now quite a few more are white(10- 20 eggs). Is it because they are duds or are those the ones that are fertilized?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Oh! Also, they are different types of angelfish. One black(getting attacked), one golden(fanning, who we think is the mom), and one koi(father). Does it matter that they are different, or is that a problem(although I doubt it)?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 11:47 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

The white egg is unfertilized and the parents should remove it. And nah, I don't see why it would matter .

~Stephanie