another fish and a gold fish? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

another fish and a gold fish?

are there any fish that my goldfish wouldnt kill? i have a feeder fish gold fish that ive had for 5 or six years now (best 8 cents ever) his name is dennis and is about 4-5 inches i baught him with another friend but he killed it... i think... the first day.

i was wondering if it would be ok to get a snail or a placostamous or a shrimp (are shimp fresh water? i dont know... )

and btw do snails reproduce on there own? my mom says they do we used to have hundreds in our guppy tank until my mom took them to the pond (snails not guppies) but i dont remember us only having one...

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 04:36 PM

goldfish are coldwater and plecs and shrimp are tropical.some snail species are coldwater, again some need to mate to produce baby snails, others can do it by them selves (a-sexual)maybe another simular sized goldfish would work, but it depends on what size tank, usally goldfish kill other tank mates because they isnt enough room for the both of them.then again, you might just have a fish that likes living on its own and doesnt want anything else with it.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 05:36 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What size tank do you have and what kind of filteration? There are a couple tankmates that can go with goldfish but not many and you need a good filter.

Shrimp would get eaten and plecos prefer warmer temperatures.

I would get another goldfish but only if you have a biiiig tank. Feeder aka Comet Goldfish are the messiest and largest of all the goldies and need a really large aquarium. A 50-gallon or bigger is recommended when they are adults and they do best in ponds.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

hm my denis doesnt seam very messy... my mom has him right now i get him when it gets warmer.. i think ill leave him alone in the tank i guess maybe get a snail that doesnt need warmer waters... can you have clams? (sorry i dont know anything about fish)

[/CENTER]

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 08:11 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle
hm my denis doesnt seam very messy... my mom has him right now i get him when it gets warmer.. i think ill leave him alone in the tank i guess maybe get a snail that doesnt need warmer waters... can you have clams? (sorry i dont know anything about fish)
You still didn't say what size tank he's in .

And I assure you that he is messy. All goldfish are .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

yea he is, but i dont think he was more messy than our old gold fish that had the fan tails and everything, hes in a small 2-3 gal tank right now, i was going to give him a 10 gal he doesnt look too big for his tank really though

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 10:40 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
yea he is, but i dont think he was more messy than our old gold fish that had the fan tails and everything, hes in a small 2-3 gal tank right now, i was going to give him a 10 gal he doesnt look too big for his tank really though
I would definately move him into the 10-gallon...it's not that he's too big but rather the amount of waste a goldfish produces. Such a small tank can't really be cycled and usually doesn't have a good filter...this means that ammonia builds up and will end up causing the fish to get sick and die. I don't want to scare you but I can honestly say that the ammonia levels are probably pretty high in that size tank.

Also, the reason he doesn't look too big for his tank is probably because his growth has been stunted. You know how they say goldfish only grow as large as their tank? That's true...mostly. The thing that most people don't know, though, is that the organs don't stop growing and eventually the insides pretty much...explode =/.

Believe me, he'll be soooo happy in a larger tank . You don't have to do as many water changes that way, too, so it's less work. And there's more room for fun decorations .

You mentioned a pond? He'd probably really like that. Have you considered letting him live there?

If he was kept in a pond he'd live longer and get much larger. This proves how big a goldfish can get, lol:

~Stephanie

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Mel

That fish is REAL?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 11:26 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
That fish is REAL?
Yup .

~Stephanie

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 08:59 AM
Title Thief Victim

ohh boy thats a big fish..im scared of fish! ahhhh

Carissasaurus Rex

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 10:06 AM

My sister and I used to have a feeder goldfish with a black moore and a gold fantail, plus one of those fish that sucks up all the alge. They got along great!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

i dont want him to explode. i cant put him in the pond because the DOT baught our land for the new highway ([email protected]$*#*) and filled it in and murdered everything in there only to build a pond and buy new fish and things for a mile away... our pond was huge, dennis would probably have gotten aten by a turtle or the sun fish in there

about the ammonia.. my mom cleans his tank almost every other day is that often enough that it wouldnt be too bad in there for him? i cant take him until its warmer outside

[/CENTER]

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 06:08 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
i dont want him to explode. i cant put him in the pond because the DOT baught our land for the new highway ([email protected]$*#*) and filled it in and murdered everything in there only to build a pond and buy new fish and things for a mile away... our pond was huge, dennis would probably have gotten aten by a turtle or the sun fish in there

about the ammonia.. my mom cleans his tank almost every other day is that often enough that it wouldnt be too bad in there for him? i cant take him until its warmer outside
It's good that she's cleaning it so often...but in such a small tank it would actually need to be cleaned every day for ammonia to stay low =/. If you're worried then buy an ammonia test kit and test the water . Then you can make sure the ammonia doesn't start spiking.

When you can take him definately get a bigger tank but for now just test the water daily to make sure everything stays ok . If he starts showing any signs of illness do a complete water change. I guess your mom can't move him into something larger?

~Stephanie

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

yea, ill talk to her about it on friday and hopefully get the stuff for it

[/CENTER]

Tags
bigger tank, gold fish