antibiotics... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

antibiotics...

what are some recomindations on which antibiotics to use on fin rot, for example?

i have a dwarf frog that appears to have a rot occuring

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

You might be able to try Jungle Fungus Eliminator. There are other meds that work better but they would be too strong for a frog.

Honestly, it's hard to medicate frogs. I've heard of an antibiotic made for them but have never seen it.

Do you have a picture so we can see what exactly the problem is? That might help.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

ohh its bad...i will try to get the best focused pic

is there a way to tell if the infection is fungal or bacterial?

thanks

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

A true fungal infection (which are not very common) looks like a cottony-white growth. Aquarium salt is supposed to help but the frog may not like the salt.

Most likely your frog has a bacterial infection which is why he looks like he has a "finrot" type problem. Finrot in fish is a form of bacterial infection. The medication I recommended is actually for bacterial infections as are most anti-fungus products.

Bacterial infections are usually caused by not doing enough water changes, not having good filteration, or by poor water conditions. I would test your water to make sure everything is fine . You never know.

When was your last water change? Definately do another one now...at least 25%. Do a water change every day for the next few days and medicate if needed.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

yep i have that cottony growth, sorry it took that long....it was pretty hard to get a picture..here are my best ones....any suggestions?

here's a comparison of it to a normal frog's

but if it was a fungal infection, which i do think it is...i would think that my other four frogs would also be affected....but i think that when my poor frog got this she must of scratched herself against something, and the opportunistic pathogen took over, so my main concern is to find either an antifungal treatment that would be safe for her..it was very white before and now its just pink...like it could be healing...her behavior hasnt changed, she still eats, but i have talked to petsmart, and no one there seems to have any knowledge

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Hmm.

If it looks to be healing it might do more harm then good to medicate. If it were me, I'd leave it alone for now and keep doing water changes and testing the water.

I would consider getting a filter for the tank (I recommend Penguin Bio-Wheels and AquaClears) to help prevent this sort of thing from happening again. I know you don't like to use filters but it would really be a good idea.

It's good that she's still eating . It might just heal on it's own with clean water.

~Stephanie

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

true..but what if it doesnt? what would you recommend then? if it really is healing, i ll leave it alone
i do two 90% water changes a week..but i have been contemplating the filter thing...might as well

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 05:37 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

You could give Mardel Maroxy a try...it's found in petstores and I've heard of people using it with tadpoles and clawed frogs .

If that doesn't work there are stronger meds available but I honestly don't know if they would be safe for frogs .

I have a product made by Jungle that gets rid of both bacterial and true fungal infections called Binox. I used it once on a betta and it worked really fast. I have a feeling it would be too strong for most frogs, though, so only use it as a last resort.

~Stephanie

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

yeah, i agree with those stronger meds...bc they are soo sensitive...but I was going to give this infection another two weeks, if it is healing, its taking a long time, but i didnt want to disturb the frog since she is still eating, and not acting abnormal..but if it isnt going to look any better in two weeks i might consider trying that Mardel Maroxy that you suggested and Binox sounds like something I could use in the future for my fish, should the need occur....thanks soo much for sharing your knowledge

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 07:10 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skratikans
yeah, i agree with those stronger meds...bc they are soo sensitive...but I was going to give this infection another two weeks, if it is healing, its taking a long time, but i didnt want to disturb the frog since she is still eating, and not acting abnormal..but if it isnt going to look any better in two weeks i might consider trying that Mardel Maroxy that you suggested and Binox sounds like something I could use in the future for my fish, should the need occur....thanks soo much for sharing your knowledge
No problem and good luck . Please keep us updated.

~Stephanie

Tags
aquarium salt, clawed frog, clawed frogs, fin rot