Anyone have a saltwater aquarium? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

Anyone have a saltwater aquarium?

I've been looking up info on saltwater setups...anyone currently have one? Pics would be nice so I can see what they look like.They are quite costly to start up,correct?
Anyone have a list of species that can be in that type of environment?
I would love a setup like that in the near future (want to have hermit crabs in it also ! The aquatic kind )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Herp Nerd

I have a saltwater tank, and all I can say is that they can be a money pit. The amount you spend is entirely dependent on what you decide to put in it. Getting started is not cheap, especially if you intend to do a reef tank. About all I can suggest is read everything you can. There are as many opinions and possible setups as there are people who keep saltwater tanks. Aside from the tank itself, proper lighting can be really pricey - but is only really important if you're looking at keeping specific things, like corals, clams and anemones. In a fish only tank, lighting isn't as important, but you will need more filtration.

As for a list of species, there are literally thousands of types of fish, crabs, anemones, corals, shrimp, snails, urchins, etc, etc. You really have to research to find out which ones can co-habitate and what each one eats - some species require a more established tank, because they feed primarily on micro-organisms that grow in a healthy tank. Some fish are aggressive and will eat other fish, some fish will eat invertebrates, some invertebrates will eat fish, many invertebrates will eat corals so you have to pick and choose carefully. It can be a very time consuming process to determine just what to put in your tank. Even when it comes to hermit crabs there are at least a dozen different commonly available species, some of which are more aggressive than others, some are more carnivorous, and some are more detritus or algae feeders.

I have a 75g fish/invertebrate tank, with no corals. I use a Rena Filstar mechanical filter, a protein skimmer, and three powerheads to keep flow up. I don't have a whole lot in it, some crabs, featherdusters, tube anemones, damsels, and a few other fish.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 01:57 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

My mother has a 30 gallon salt water tank and Rav is right, it's a money pit! But what a beautiful money pit! She has all kinds of gidgets...lights, skimmers, filters, ph monitors, salinity monitors...you name it and she probably has it. For some reason she can't seem to keep anything alive in it except clown fish and some very tiny hermit crabs which I find odd because she is constantly reading up on different fish, what does best with other fish, always checking the water, ect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 08:29 PM

http://forums.paw-talk.net/showthread.php?t=37346
yup--this is our 40 gal. reef tank. they are more costly than a fresh tank but i wouldn't necessarily say a money pit. in my opinion they are sooo worth it. it is so cool to watch blue planet and other shows and be able to identify different fish and inverts cause you have done so much research, it is like having a piece of the ocean in your living room. just do a ton of preparation and be very very patient
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

I've been seeing quite a few listed in the buy & sell (a local magazine that has ads for things wanted or wanting to be sold).
Saltwater setups are being sold & they are already started up,& they cost $1000 or so.
I think in the long run, they are worth the investment. They are beautiful & as you mentioned , Sara8, it's like having a piece of the ocean...I live right next to the ocean,& I think it looks so gorgeous.
& I can only imagine how much more beautiful the ocean is once you are underwater !

Great pics Sara8 & Ravnos !

What a great hobby it would be.I'll start researching more into it,won't be able to afford to set one up right away,but can't wait till I can,gives me something else to look forward to .
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 04:16 PM

we talked and dreamed about having fish tanks for 5years or more and just never had the money to do it. finally a couple years ago we bit the bullet and used part of our tax return and bought our equipment, 40lbs of live sand, 20lbs of live rock and 40gal of water. then we started with some hermit crabs. after we bought that set up we started to have people offer us their tanks cause they were sick of them or wanted to upgrade. we got our 30 gal set up for $50 and 2 more 55gal tanks plus another 55gal stand for nothing. now we have three tanks set up. it is definitely addicting

Tags
fish tank, hermit crab, hermit crabs