Apple Snail - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Apple Snail

My apple snail has a massive hole in his shell... What should I do about it? Also... How long do they live for? I have had mine for 3 years now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 11:51 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What's the pH in the tank and what are you feeding?

It may be lack of calcium.

Average lifespan seems to be around 5-7 years. But they can live to be over ten years old.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 11:54 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

On this thread.. http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f77/p...ago-43442.html
there are some good links with much info about apple snails and calcium. (post #6 on that thread)
Are you making sure to include calcium-rich foods such as spinach in its diet? Doing so will help keep your snail's shell in good shape.

Lve Never Fails

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

the ph is 7.0 and I feed him lettus, spinich and he also eats the algie waffers I feed my cory's. How do I feed him calsium? Is there something I can give him?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 12:34 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What kind of lettuce? Romaine?

You could try feeding kale since that's really rich in calcium or add liquid calcium to the water. Seashells and dried corals will leech calcium but they can also mess with the alkalinity a lot.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

What about cuddle bone? I don't know much about water snails but when I had land snails I used to always keep a piece of cuddle bone in their tank for them to eat for calcuim. Maybe that would work, as long as it's ok for the water?

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 01:05 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
What about cuddle bone? I don't know much about water snails but when I had land snails I used to always keep a piece of cuddle bone in their tank for them to eat for calcuim. Maybe that would work, as long as it's ok for the water?
Yup, some snails owners use those . But I'm not sure how it would affect the pH...that would be a concern of mine.

~Stephanie

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 03:52 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

my snail's shell has a crack in it and the spot by entrence of his shell is brittle and breaking i just got him a week or 2 ago
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 10:47 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
my snail's shell has a crack in it and the spot by entrence of his shell is brittle and breaking i just got him a week or 2 ago
Have you tested your water? What is he eating? It's important to fix the problem now...it'll only get worse.

~Stephanie

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 04:20 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

yea i just got the water tested they said it was really good, he has algea waffers and has a ternip green leaf

i think it was at the pet store that biskets shell is weak. will he fix it himself?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
yea i just got the water tested they said it was really good, he has algea waffers and has a ternip green leaf

i think it was at the pet store that biskets shell is weak. will he fix it himself?
What was the pH, though? While a pH of say, 6.5, would be ok for a lot of fish it's not good for snails.

Try feeding more calcium-rich foods...spinach and kale are probably the best in that sense . If it really was because of the petstore and everything's fine at home then it'll probably harden again.

~Stephanie

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 07:25 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

how fast do their shells deteriate? i've only had him for a week 1/2
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 12:04 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
how fast do their shells deteriate? i've only had him for a week 1/2
I suppose that would depend on the conditions of the tank...I'm not sure exactly since I've never had it happen.

~Stephanie

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

I've had my snail for 3 years and the hole started out as a little pin prick size hole. it to about 6 months to get to the size it is now (about 1cm). Will holes heal over again?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 03:04 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Santleben View Post
I've had my snail for 3 years and the hole started out as a little pin prick size hole. it to about 6 months to get to the size it is now (about 1cm). Will holes heal over again?
It probably won't heal completely but if you can stop it from getting worse the snail should be fine.

You might want to check out this page: Snail diseases and problems

~Stephanie

Tags
pet store