Aquarium questions... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed with Criss Angel

Smile Aquarium questions...(well suggestions)

I have a 20 gallon heavily planted aquarium...which I strongly believe is more than overstocked (getting a bigger one don't worry.)
It houses 7 guppies,5 tetras (neons),& 1 corydora.
I only had 3 guppies at one point,they died,turns out they had babies in the tank,& these 7 grew up& survived...loves them,they are male& female though,so you know they'll have more babies...
That's why I'm in need of aquarium ideas.
I read on a site that neon tetras cannot be kept in a tank with guppys ...some people add salt to their guppy tank,I didn't& they are still thriving (had babies not that long back...problem is they got eaten ) The water,filter,etc I have no probs with at all

I was hoping for suggestions on what to do.13 fish in one 20 gallon IS overstocked.It was fine when the guppies were babies,but now that they're adult...must change things all around.
I'm looking into a 50 gallon.
Can anyone suggest fish to go in each? How would you seperate& rearrange my community tank?

What fish would you keep in the 20gallon? What others should I look into?
BTW...I love platys,snails,mollies,bettas...everything!
So I'd take any into consideration.I would love to have 1 male betta..& I definitely NEED more corydoras.

Feel free to suggest away.The 50gal will be bought [for?] or after christmas,then cycled...then ready for new inhabitants.(& yes will also include live plants).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by candyraver; 10-23-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

? Anyone?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 08:26 PM
is a little "special"

Acually, I dont think your tank is that overstacked: 7 guppys at 2 inches is 14 inches of fish, 5 tetras is 5 inches, and a cory is 2 inches... its only over stalked by 3 gallons.

I could be wrong tho XD

I think it would be kinda neat if you used the 20g as a breeding tank, for da babies to grow up in, and the 55 as your main commmunity tank. C:

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 03:18 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

How heavily planted, is heavily planted? from what i understand, in a very heavily planted tank, you can get away with overstocking a little, as long as you keep up on regular water changes.. altho its not ideal i think your actually ok for the moment.. until of course your guppies start getting friendly again

I would really try to seperate the guppies.. Do you know how many males and how many females you have? i bought 2 female guppies and they had like 9 babies.. ended up with 3 males and 8 females.. so i kept the males in a 10gallon, and put the females in a 29 gallon...... i *think* the problem with neon tetras and guppies is fin nipping.. but im not 100% sure on that But if this is true.. you could keep your male guppies in the 20gallon, since they would be a little more showy anyway, more color and interest for a smaller tank.. Then put the females in the 50gallon with the rest, thinking that with smaller fins they might not have as much trouble with the tetras.. But this is of course thinking that the fin nipping would be the only problem.. i dunno.

Corys kinda like to be in groups, so you might want to put your cory in the 50gal maybe with 2 or 3 friends.

I think Mollies and platies are pretty good with just about anything.. There also livebarers, so i would keep the males and females separate if possible.. when you go buy them you could try to only get males.. Or, you could just buy one or 2 females, under the assumption that they could already be pregnant when you buy them. then seperate them after there old enough to tell the difference..

If you leave the males and females together and want more babies, the best thing to do would be to have another tank, like a 10gallon tank with lots of hiding places. then move the momma guppies when you notice they start getting fat.. then put her back in the big tank after shes done.

If you separate the males and females you can do a little more selective breeding.. pick your favorite male and 2 females and put them in the 10gallon.
This is the setup im trying for.. we currently have a 29gal and a 10gal setup, we got a 55gal but havent set it up yet. but i plan on putting all the females in the big tank, keeping my favorite males in the 29, and breeding in a 10gallon. But we cant decide where we want the 55gallon tank set up

My Furry Family
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

You can keep neon tetras with guppies, I don't see any reason why not to, especially in a planted aquarium . One of my earlier community set-ups housed four cory cats, six neon tetras, and five fancy guppies.

If you get a betta fish, I would keep it in the 20-gallon without guppies. While some bettas can live with them peacefully, a lot of people seem to run into problems. Male bettas sometimes attack male fancy guppies and guppies can nip at the bettas' fins. Since you like snails, maybe get an apple snail for the same tank . The cory cats (since you're going to get more) could actually live in the same set-up quite peacefully...leaving you a lot of room in the 50-gallon for other fish.

I'm a big fan of gouramis, but you have to be careful because some aren't compatabile with guppies. Pearl Gouramis are gorgeous, peaceful community fish that can live in a 50-gallon.

You could house almost any tetra species...gold tetras, neon tetras, cardinal tetras, and gold pristella tetras are some of my favorites. I love blood fin tetras but have awful luck with them (I've never understood it because theyr'e supposedly hardy ). Cherry barbs are nice fish for planted aquariums, too, and can live with anything that won't eat them.

Some others to look into are rainbowfish, rosy barbs, smaller pleco species, mollies, platies, swordtails, white cloud minnows (as long as the tank is kept in the 60's or 70's as opposed to the mid or high 80's Fahrenheit), and smaller loaches (I wouldn't recommend clown loaches because even a 50-gallon just isn't large enough to comfortablely house a school IMO). All of the fish I just listed do well in the average planted community set-up.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Aspires to Stupidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
Since you like snails, maybe get an apple snail for the same tank .
I thought apple snails ate the plants though? I bought two apple snails and they just devowered my plants.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko View Post
I thought apple snails ate the plants though? I bought two apple snails and they just devowered my plants.
Well, you need to be careful when you buy any snail and confirm that it's the right species. There are several sold as "apple snails" and some will eat aquatic plants while others won't. You want to look for the species Pomacea bridgesii .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Well my tetras ended up dieing...I was hoping to get a betta for that tank now...I kept a betta with guppies before,but one other betta i had would freak at them! So it's a hit& miss i think...& not worth the risk.Is there a similar-to-a-betta fish I could possibly buy? Or a way to introduce the betta to the guppys?
I'll be buying 2 more cories.My tank now has 7 guppys,& 1 corydora.[albino cory].

& To answer how heavily planted..well...the fish can hide in the plants& i not see them at all XD

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver View Post
Well my tetras ended up dieing...I was hoping to get a betta for that tank now...I kept a betta with guppies before,but one other betta i had would freak at them! So it's a hit& miss i think...& not worth the risk.Is there a similar-to-a-betta fish I could possibly buy? Or a way to introduce the betta to the guppys?
I'll be buying 2 more cories.My tank now has 7 guppys,& 1 corydora.[albino cory].

& To answer how heavily planted..well...the fish can hide in the plants& i not see them at all XD
The most betta-like fish I can think of is the Paradise Gourami. But I wouldn't risk it with your guppies...they can be territorial. Maybe look into Dwarf and Pygmy Gourami species .

~Stephanie

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 08:57 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Yes I agree, you can fit a lot more in there

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

I dont think I can fit a lot in there now...

My tank now includes a black molly,& 2 more corydoras (bronze),along with the albino cory& 7 guppies <3.

I L0VE my black molly,but he(?) [tho healthy + active] tends to hide more than the other fish ...

11 fish.Think thats well stocked for a 20gallon,if not,i'll get a couple snails...[maybe] or another fish..?

Could I get another group of tetras? Or should i get more mollies?

Any other suggestions?

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 07:49 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

If you get another mollie, yours *might* not hide as much

My Furry Family
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 08:37 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Maybe get some small group tetra's!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver View Post
I dont think I can fit a lot in there now...

My tank now includes a black molly,& 2 more corydoras (bronze),along with the albino cory& 7 guppies <3.

I L0VE my black molly,but he(?) [tho healthy + active] tends to hide more than the other fish ...

11 fish.Think thats well stocked for a 20gallon,if not,i'll get a couple snails...[maybe] or another fish..?

Could I get another group of tetras? Or should i get more mollies?

Any other suggestions?
I would get at least another molly, as they're social fish . Black mollies can be pretty sensitive, though, so make sure you carefully monitor your water parameters.

~Stephanie

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 11:36 AM
Part of the Pack

If you do get that bigger tank and want more schooling fish, Harlequin Rasboras look WONDERFUL in a heavily planted setup!

Tags
20gallon, overstock...