ASAP!!! Whats wrong? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

ASAP!!! Whats wrong?

Im leaving town today and my parents are caring for my fish. Today I turned on the light and saw this on pepper my peppered loachs face!!!! He was totally fine yesterday, I got some great (normal) pictures of him...
HELP!!!

http://nik8806.smugmug.com/gallery/4...94686953_jX6BS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

The fist in the picture is dying as i write, and my favorite botia i found dead. one of my kuhli loaches doesnt look good either. my fish with scales look fine, but the ones without scales arent looking good....
i dont know what to do!!! :'( Ive had these fish over a year!
i put 15ml of melafix in... but i leave town in a hour so my dads going to the fish store...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 07:07 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

the pics don't work for me...I am so sorry your are dying...I hope you find out what it is

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 01:21 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm sorry about your fish. Paw-Talk hasn't been working on my computer for the last couple of days so I'm just seeing this topic now.

It looks like a Columnaris infection which is sometimes called a fungal infection (even though it's not actually a fungus). Columnaris is a bacteria that especially thrives in warm, still water. It also loves hard water with a high pH so it would be a good idea to test your water parameters (it's important you do this anyway since you want to make sure that ammonia and nitrites are at zero while the nitrates are low).

Since it likes warm water, you may want to lower the temperature a bit if you were keeping it on the high side (above 75). Aeration is extremely important so I would add an air stone during treatment. Columnaris infections often pop up in times of stress which includes poor water conditions. Keeping the water really clean will help...do daily water changes. In fact, I would start treatment by doing a 100% water change (or as close to that as possible).

Aquarium salt will definitely help so add some if you have it. If you don't have any, it's really easy to get and inexpensive. Maracyn is probably the most useful antibiotic for treating Columnaris but if it's not available then your petstore should be able to help you pick out something. Most medications that claim to treat fungal infections will actually cure Columnaris. Binox (by Jungle) is another effective one that comes in a powder form. It'll actually treat some fungal infections, too.

The key to treating this disease is clean water, good aeration, and lower (I wouldn't go below 74, though) water temperatures.

Melafix will not treat this disease so I wouldn't use it.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

My dad went to the store and they knew what it was and he has been adding that treatment since day 1. it says to do a 25% water change today and we are going to do another dose. I lost one more botia but he said the rest of my fish look fine. the kuhli loach thats back end was floating is swimming normal and the fish have started eating again.
hopefully the worst is over.

RIP to Little Zeeke, George Jr, and Pepper.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 12:18 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik8806 View Post
My dad went to the store and they knew what it was and he has been adding that treatment since day 1. it says to do a 25% water change today and we are going to do another dose. I lost one more botia but he said the rest of my fish look fine. the kuhli loach thats back end was floating is swimming normal and the fish have started eating again.
hopefully the worst is over.

RIP to Little Zeeke, George Jr, and Pepper.
I'm sorry for your losses .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 06:02 AM
Will It Ever Change?

aww poor fishies! im sorry you lost some, i hope the treatment works! *hugs*

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

i went home last night and i got to see my fish. we finally saw both of my kuhlis, so thank god they are both alive
we did the water change and added new treatment, its really strong so i think they are a little stressed from the illness and the meds cause they started breathing really fast, but by morning they looked a Little better.
no other losses yet! yay! And the are all eating too! phew!
oh and the water tests have been PERFECT since i first noticed this. wierd.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

well i have to do Another batch. My dad stopped treatment for one day because they were eating and looking fine in the morning (kinda upset with him about that... but he didnt think this would happen..) I come home that night and my peppered loach i have left and one of the kuhlis has white on them.
We started treatment and the next morning the peppered loach and one kuhli was dead.
next morning the other kuhli was dead.
the two botias, pleco, 4 hatchets and 3 rasboras all look good.
one of my botias had white on his dorsal but its gone now thank god and we are doing one more treatment, then half a treatment then 50% water change and putting the carbon in. Being its really really strong treatment the fish store said it will be bad for them if i go too long with full doses. so hopefully another week of this will get RID of it!
RIP Harry, Larry and Salt
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 12:48 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik8806 View Post
well i have to do Another batch. My dad stopped treatment for one day because they were eating and looking fine in the morning (kinda upset with him about that... but he didnt think this would happen..) I come home that night and my peppered loach i have left and one of the kuhlis has white on them.
We started treatment and the next morning the peppered loach and one kuhli was dead.
next morning the other kuhli was dead.
the two botias, pleco, 4 hatchets and 3 rasboras all look good.
one of my botias had white on his dorsal but its gone now thank god and we are doing one more treatment, then half a treatment then 50% water change and putting the carbon in. Being its really really strong treatment the fish store said it will be bad for them if i go too long with full doses. so hopefully another week of this will get RID of it!
RIP Harry, Larry and Salt
I'm really sorry, that's awful .

Good luck with the rest of the fish! Please keep us updated!

~Stephanie

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

well tomorrow I told my dad he REALLY has to watch them, we stopped treatment and put the carbon in tonight. Im really worried. I told him to look under every rock for those botias to make sure they are okay. so, ill wish for the best!

Tags
aquarium salt