Baby Bettas - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

I have around 5-8 (I sear the number I can find in that tank changes every day) baby bettas and now that they're a little older I wanted to know what else I could feed them instead of whatever grows in the tank and baby brine shrimp.

ps. I tried to get pictures up here but i seem to be very inadept in any forum so any help for that would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 02:53 PM

oooooo how did you get baby battas? I got 2 males and well females are easy to get but how do ya breed em?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Its a very long and arduous process. I went to both Bettatalk and Bettacave, and used a combo of their techniques. But I think it was actually the combination of fish that made it work. The female wasn't too mean (a problem I had a lot of) and the male stayed intrested. Even so, it took me over a year before I managed to get these babies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 01:08 AM

I have a friend who gets the babies, but they always die before they get big enough to eat the adult food. What do you feed your babies. She usually has way more than 5-8.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Well yeah, I did have way more then 5-8, but they either died because they were weak, or were eaten by somebody bigger. Its a natural culling system. Also, this is my first baby batch, so I'm not quite sure what I'm doing. The fact that any of them are alive makes me so happy. So yeah, my only problem is what to feed them and a few of them seem happy with either baby brine, or really crushed up freeze dried worms.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 03:08 PM

You keep your babies in a tank with your other fish? Or do you have a pond? She happens to move the male and female into a ten gallon aquarium when they breed, slow moving so that they don't rip each other apart. Then, after the eggs are laid in the nest the male sits and waits for them to hatch, after they are free-swimming she removes the male to prevent him from eating them. Usually they live until they are about a quarter of an inch long and then they die. I will tell her to try crushed up freeze dried worms though.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

no, i don't keep them in a tank with other fish. I did just what your friend does, seperate them and all that good stuff. They eat one another. And since its also my first time with babies I didn't manage to keep as many of them as more experiened breeders do. The only other baby fish i've had were guppies and molly's, and you don't have to do anything for those little monsters to live.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 11:20 PM

We bred Bettas almost by accident! Well, we wanted them to breed so we had the male and female together on their own. One morning I went to the tank and noticed him picking up eggs and putting them in the nest! I started doing some research and took the mother out of the tank, let the babies hatch and a few days later, took the father out. the babies were in the tank on their own for about 8-10 weeks. We fed them on Microvit which is like powdered food that dissolves into the water for babies. When they were big enough, we started them on regular Betta food. We had about 15 survive, so we gave a lot away to friends, but kept 2 males and a female (not in the same tank of course!). One of the males died, but the other 2 are still happy and about 14 months old now. Just thought I'd share my story with you all!

Tags
brine shrimp