Balloon Mollies - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your help, but I've decided to close my aquarium. Just not worth having all my fish die on me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra
Thanks everyone for your help, but I've decided to close my aquarium. Just not worth having all my fish die on me.
I'm sorr to hear that.
And I'm sorry I just read this thread. If you change your mind and decide to try again I strongly suggest you get a vacume (cheap like $6 -$9 bucks) and make a habit of vacuming your tank once a week. It is the same as doing a 10% - 15% water change, just you are also getting out the toxic build-up in the gravel. Not cleaning in a large tank with a completely balnced ecosystem is fine. Not cleaning in a 10 gallon with as much gravel as you have is deadly. If you can cut that to 1/4 of what you have. The fish that you had in there before went through the cycle and survived anything added in will be severly stressed and break into Ich or fungus FAST.
You look like you are running the Aqua-clear filter...trust it, let it do the work, cut your gravel, make sure you stay on top of your filter media. Charcoal changed every 4 weeks, sponge evey 4 weeks, never both at the same time. You wanna hold your positive bacteria's.

And Yeah, no algae at all is a bad sign. Usually means Nitrate and Nitrite instabilty. Therefore plant life can't live.

I hope you change your mind it is a great hobby and very rewarding.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by odette
-get a vacume (cheap like $6 -$9 bucks) -cut gravel to 1/4 of what you have. -Charcoal changed every 4 weeks, sponge evey 4 weeks, never both at the same time. -no algae at all is a bad sign. Usually means Nitrate and Nitrite instabilty.
I was waiting for my last surviving Guppy and 2 Mollies to die to close my tank. Funny how those survived when I got ready to close the tank. I brought a water sample to the store when I returned the dead fish. They said there was just a tiny bit of Nitrite or Nitrate (cant remember) She also said that its not enough to kill a fish but to do a 1/4 water change. I already have a vacume. Yesterday I decided to do a water change. So you think that I should take 1/4 gravel out? Could it be the reason I've been having problems with my tank? When is best to go at the store to get more Mollies, if they get new orders of fish every Wed? Now I feel that there is a chance for my tank, thanks for your reply! PS RE the algea, once I got a real plant for my tank and I suddenly got billions of tiny snails that kept on cleaning the tank. Now 98% of them are dead but still not algea. The only algea I got was on the top glass protecting the light from the water. But I cleaned that off since if was keeping the tank dark...even with the light...thats how thick the algea was there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 11:36 AM

If you are using a sponge it is not a good idea to change it.(reuse it.)Good luck!
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

I got a new Balloon Molly yesterday and today she got tones of babies. 3/4 didnt survive....I guess. I have about 10. I hope at least 1 survives...this is exciting...here are pics.

Last edited by Sandra; 03-12-2006 at 09:22 AM.

Tags
aquarium salt, fish tank, local fish store, pet store, tropical fish